Update on frontpage (5-27-2005)

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Update on frontpage (5-27-2005)

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding the RTS genre bit.

sylanthir
Meribian Merchant

Post by sylanthir »

that's good news I'm just glad it isn't listed as a "card based rpg."

seriously, no offense but has anyone ever played a good card based rpg? I really hope this card system doesn't take up too big of a role.
"the jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me!"

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

KH's card system was... interesting, to say the least. The game was bloody hard. Not nearly enough to satiate me until KH2 comes out.

We'll have to wait and see. From the screenshots, though, it looks like any other RPG, with HP and MP. Perhaps cards would act like specific spells or items? Or perhaps something like materia?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

love a riddle wrote:From the screenshots, though, it looks like any other RPG, with HP and MP.

Like any other RPG... But where's the dragon? :(

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think Nintendo is just failing to get their facts together competently.

The cards are probably a minor role in the gameplay, though you might be able to collect and trade them more like in Lunar Legend. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

You know, I used to think card-based RPGs were silly and a waste of space. But after having spent some time playing them, there really is something to it that can make it fun. I'm playing Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution right now and I was prepared to think it was stupid, but it's surprisingly addicting in its own way. It's definitely a different gameplay style and has a some flaws from the storytelling perspective, but that's not a fault of being a card-based RPG so much as someone not shoving in enough cut scenes. I also played both the Lost Kingdoms games, which are card-based action/RPGs.

The main issues I think people have with card-battling games are suspending disbelief and a reluctance to crunch a lot of info down to build a good deck (since that requires working knowledge of all or most of the cards, which can be very time consuming to obtain).

I would actually be more irritated if all the cards in the game are merely collectibles and completely findable, except only in an obscure fashion. If my ability to obtain a card is a game of chance with the odds stacked vastly against me, I don't care if I never collect them all. But if all the cards are fairly obtainable and I still manage to miss them I get very irritated (like with Lunar Legend when I discovered that the card shop stops selling certain cards after a certain point in the game).
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, a "card" rpg can be broken down as far as the first suikoden. With I believe something like 128 characters, to get them all it was almost like collecting "cards". I mean that was a great game and all, but who used all the characters? I think i remember there being a few useless ones. All in all though I hope this game doesn't let my hopes down.

A
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yay! The game will be a regular rpg after all :) I like the stratigy stuff a little but rpgs are better by far. As for the card thing I don't care. Partially because my friends don't play lunar or have a nintendo DS.

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

True; Chrono Cross had a bajillion and one playable characters, but by far most people simply used only... dare I say... ten seriously, such as Kid and Glenn. Yet I myself was obsessed with attaining the entire roster at once, so...

LordYamaneko
Saith Pirate

Post by LordYamaneko »

More recentrly, the Baten Kaitos's card system was good, to my mind. But I'm not a fan of this systems.

For Lunar, I hope this system will be good, because the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories disappointed me. ^^
"We must hold together!"