Lunar nintendo power scans

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Kizyr »

laus wrote:btw anyone can translate the scans?

Oh, those are some nice scans...

I'll look into it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, they are...I'm seeing some familiar enemies, like the Ice Mongrel.

I do hope they put some shadows under the sprites, though. The lack of shadows makes them tend to look pasted on over the backgrounds.

I'd like to know what it's saying about using the touch screen in battle.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I was shocked when I first got this Nintendo Power issue and read it. Coincidently, this is also the first Nintendo Power I've gotten in like... 2 years, and it happens to have an article about the only Nintendo title I care mostly about... it must have been fate I tell you :shock:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I agree, I think shadows should be under enemies. It would make it seem more realistic...in a 2D way anyway.

I glad there are new scans out. Victory poses! I was wandering what those were going to be like...at least we know two of the chracters victory poses now.

Another thing...I see that the party is poisioned...I wander if it wears off after battle like the previous games? I hope so!

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Uhh... has anyone else noticed that Lucia in Dragon Song is wearing the exact same type of garment as Lucia in Eternal Blue!? Also, her eyes are the same color, and if you imagine long blue hair on her... you can see Lucia from Eternal Blue. Not to mention that in the new anime picture from Nintendo Power, Lucia is featurred as the largest character nearest to the blue star.

I'm also wondering how the cut scenes will be like. I want it to be full anime video scenes with voice actors, but it's the DS... it can only do so much I guess. And you people who don't want voice acting... you're crazy. Lunar was one of the first games to include voice actors, it's a good tradition :P I always enjoyed the voice acting.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Never mind that Lucia in Dragon Song and Lucia in Eternal Blue have names that are written differently in Japanese... (Call it a limitation of the English language that they are spelled the same way for us.)

As for anime cut scenes, FMV is entirely possibly, complete with voice acting, but whether or not they have the space for it could be an issue. If it's a question of having long hours of gameplay versus adding a few cut scenes, I'm not sure which direction the axe will fall.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I agree, I think shadows should be under enemies. It would make it seem more realistic...in a 2D way anyway.

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of the enemies...it's the characters which look unfinished and pasted without them.

Uhh... has anyone else noticed that Lucia in Dragon Song is wearing the exact same type of garment as Lucia in Eternal Blue!? Also, her eyes are the same color, and if you imagine long blue hair on her... you can see Lucia from Eternal Blue. Not to mention that in the new anime picture from Nintendo Power, Lucia is featurred as the largest character nearest to the blue star.

Rune already provided the biggest problem with this theory, but to continue...I do not see this similarity in clothing you mention. The only thing that's close are perhaps the boots (which are different in color, shape, and height) and that she's wearing a cape (which is different in color, style, and length). She's nearest the Blue Star because that's how she's posed...on the original TSS cover the Magic Emperor is largest and closest to the Blue Star, does that mean he's Lucia?

And you people who don't want voice acting... you're crazy. Lunar was one of the first games to include voice actors, it's a good tradition I always enjoyed the voice acting.

Good for you. Thanks for the insult. :roll: Lunar's biggest strength with voice acting was that there wasn't much of it, at least in TSS...and most people seem to agree that Ruby in EB was horribly annoying. Voice acting is so hit-or-miss...well, I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether it's better to have bad voice acting or no voice acting. Personally, I'd rather not risk it. But I've already explained my reasons. I liked the sprite cutscenes in Legend just fine, too, and didn't really miss the animation. It may make a difference that TSS was the first RPG I played and so I had no idea that animation and voice were unusual in them at the time.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Aww Alunissage, I didn't mean it as an insult, I'm just a silly guy :oops:

But I can certainly understand your not wanting voice acting. It's just that, to me, personally, voice acting has been one of Lunar's great traditions. They even included the making of lunar with the voice actors in the studio doing the voices. That was a nice bonus for sure, and I still remember the faces of the voices of Alex, Hiro, Luna, Nall, and Lucia.

The one thing that really worries me about Dragon Song is how strong the music is going to be. Music was deffinately a strong point of Lunar in the past, as quoted by one of the official producers (I forget who now) in the past.

Either way, I'm just glad to see a new Lunar game coming out after 10 years. Brings a tear to my eyes :cry:

on the original TSS cover the Magic Emperor is largest and closest to the Blue Star, does that mean he's Lucia?

Well, at that point there was no mention of a character named Lucia at all. But I'm surprised by the doubt of some people. When I saw that first anime pic in my copy of Nintendo Power yesterday, I instantly recognized the "pink haired girl"'s face as Lucia's face, and I didn't even know she was named Lucia until I read the article and viewed the screenshots. But remember when Lucia dresses up out of her original clothing in Eternal Blue? It's the same style of top dressing, isn't it? If not, it has to be quite similar. :o

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

THIS IS NOT THE SAME LUCIA AS IN ETERNAL BLUE!

I don't know how I can make that any clearer. It's already been said a hundred times at least. The theorizing is entirely pointless. They're different characters, and there's absolutely zero connection between the two. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

You know this for a fact? Even the official magazine reports and other website reports state that nobody knows the relationship between the two Lucia's yet. :o

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Greensky wrote:You know this for a fact? Even the official magazine reports and other website reports state that nobody knows the relationship between the two Lucia's yet. :o

Yes I know this for a fact. Never mind the fact that I do more research on it than any of the magazines and other websites.

Now quit theorizing on it and wait 'til the game comes out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Alright, but if you're wrong, you owe me money! :wink:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Kizyr's is right, he even posted the proof on somewhere on the forums. The spelling in Japanese is different for the two Lucias.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Well, we'll see fairly soon when it comes out I suppose :lol: But you have to admit, the resemblance is uncanny. Maybe it's an ancestor of Lucia's.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

An ancestor of Lucia, the person left on the Blue Star when Althena took humans to Lunar? Not bloody likely.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Lucia is Althena I tell you! It's her! I know it! Dag nabbit! :P j/k

Oh man, I'm so excited! I just can't wait for the game. The theorizing is fun I guess, but I just wanna try not to think about the game too much right now... because that won't make it come any faster, the wait will drive me nuts. Although, I'm still considering some DS fanart.... would anyone object to changes to the new characters outfits a bit? I'm not sure what the back of the green-haired girls outfit looks like... so I was just gonna try and improvise, but I didn't wanna tick anyone off ^^;

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

What did I tell you! Not worth it. Not worth it at all :P (directed at Kizzie)

I'm really hoping that they have anime cutscence in DS...I absolutely loved the animation sequences in SSSC/EBC. I know they're not going to be of that magnitude, but I'd like to see something more than just the flash-scenes they displayed in Legend.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:Yes I know this for a fact. Never mind the fact that I do more research on it than any of the magazines and other websites.

Now quit theorizing on it and wait 'til the game comes out. KF

Kizyr, do you know more about the plot of DS than the rest of us? And I don't mean stuff you can read in Japanese press releases and such, but details of the plot of the game that will only be found whilst playing it? And I'm not asking this to be a jerk or anything, I genuinely want to know if you're in the know on some stuff that the general populous wouldn't know about.

I'll believe that they're different characters, but if there's absolutely no connection between the two Lucias, then the English translators are ridiculously inept. Even if their names are different in Japanese, the translators must have had a good reason to make their names the same in English.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Kizyr, do you know more about the plot of DS than the rest of us?

LunarNET is slated to be the official site for Lunar: DS. G1 and myself have both been working on it. You can figure the rest.

I'll believe that they're different characters, but if there's absolutely no connection between the two Lucias, then the English translators are ridiculously inept. Even if their names are different in Japanese, the translators must have had a good reason to make their names the same in English.

I don't think you're aware of how difficult translation really is. There is really no way of getting around translating their names the same in English. Quite literally, it's like making a difference between Lucia and Lucía--the distinction doesn't exist in this language (unless you want to make the name look silly by saying the original was Luushia).

Maybe Mia's right. All this speculation isn't worth it. They should've just changed her name to Jane. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I wonder if there will be another Ausa character in this game too. That Green Haired gal could pass as an Ausa... but I won't speculate about that right now :P Oh wait... too late, I just did. Damn.