Lunar: Dragon Song official site goes live.

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Rune Lai »

Wow... nice to see Silver Phoenix again. I think he was also on Dragonmaster Lou's Lunar-L mailing list. (If you're still there, Phoenix, I'm Ghaleon Dragonstar. Long time no see.)

Anyway, I think it's too early to make a judgment on this game. Screenshots are just still pictures and nothing like playing a game. What looks good on paper (or on the monitor) might play terribly, and what looks terrible may actually play great. Without a demo or at least a review from someone's who had a chance to play the game, there's really no way to tell.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

There can be only one! So yes, of course it is the original Silver Phoenix. Hello Ghaleon One, and Rune Lai. There is a new Lunar game coming, how could I not present myself. I have been here since the beginning!

Reading up on Dragon Song has me pensive. Weapons that get damaged so they need replacing? Never liked that. Dashing makes you lose hit points? Why not just make us pay for our magic like in the original EB while they're at it. Though that was a Vic inspired move. The Normal and Virtue mode thing seems a bit of a pain. Hopefully it's not. I do have to say I prefer the Japanese boxart, not that the US art is bad, but it has a darker look to it. The original art has more of a Lunar feel to it's character placement. Jian is more pronounced in the US art, whereas Lucia was more pronounced in the original design.
This game better be good, or I'm going to be depressed! I just hope the masses buy it, but they know only we true Lunar lovers will get it regardless.

In the Darkest Hour Hope Springs Eternal...... and ends up on a small screen! Waaaaaah!

Deltath
Lann Fisherman

Post by Deltath »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:Um, to be fair, you've read about the new gameplay elements, but you haven't even heard the music or seen the way the cutscenes work. Don't label it as "un-Lunar" so early.

Well, first off..they're still cutscenes. It doesn't really matter how they implement them, it was stated:"Still cutscenes will be present in the game, much like Lunar Legend, but of higher quality." No matter how you slice it, I can't imagine that will somehow become "moving cutscenes." If that isn't just misinformation, we have seen what they look like in that screenshot of Jian talking about Gad's Express.

Secondly, you're right. I haven't heard the music. Regardless, I still believe it will lack the familiar feel, being composed by someone else. Also, to be fair, I stated that it's possible I'm incorrect about this. There's a difference between labeling something and holding an opinion, mate. I have high hopes, but low expectations. I will buy Lunar: Dragon Song, I will play through it(multiple times, most likely). I won't make any definitive determinations until then, but this -is- a public forum. I was under the impression we were supposed to discuss our opinions.

Kizyr wrote:You probably are mistaken. Everything on the site is only an introduction to the game. The full story, I can assure you, is very much in the same vein as Lunar. There will be new, unique things about it, of course. But the same elements that are characteristic of the Lunar universe will be present in the plotline.

Only two things are a possible loss: 1) the exploration element from the inability to walk around town, and 2) a different soundtrack from previous titles.

I'd wait and see before judging anything, particularly the story.

I'm sure you can glean some information from my last paragraph, so I'll attempt to refrain from redundancies.

Now. You state outright in your post that the same elements that are characteristic of the Lunar universe will be present in the plotline. This may be true, but (from what I've seen so far) that will be the only similarity. As I tried to make evidentally clear in my previous post, there are many aspects that make up Lunar that are not just plotline related.

I believe Aaron made a strong case with some of his comments, as did Silver Phoenix. The entirety of the Lunar experience is made up of not just the major points(and as I already stated, it doesn't look like they're hitting home with these, either) I made earlier, but also these small details. Changes such as losing HP while dashing, the isometric view, the new battle system(lacking movement), the character sprite style changing, the Normal/Virtue system, three character parties, damagable weapons and a plethora of other minor details that make this game seem less and less like Lunar.

Oh, also.. not to mention a handful of the new additions(namely the Normal/Virtue time limit, the dashing/lose HP and weapon damage) seem like tedious experiences, rather than interesting innovations. As far as this is concerned, though, I will willingly admit that I can't be remotely sure about them being a hassle until I play, save for maybe the dashing aspect. I hate it in any game when basic movement is made a chore, especially in RPGs.

After all of that, you added an excellent point that I had forgotten. Town exploration. As I see it, town exploration is one of the most enjoyable aspects of an RPG. Seeking out every possible NPC, talking to them multiple times for the possible wealth of information they have, sucking up every last drop of available story --- in addition to the enjoyment of just gazing at the loveliness of the various and plentiful environments.

Alas, I reiterate this one point. I am not passing judgement on a game I have not played, but merely synopsizing my opinion thereof.

(I'm still ridiculously excited, regardless of my pensive misgivings!)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Reading up on Dragon Song has me pensive. Weapons that get damaged so they need replacing? Never liked that. Dashing makes you lose hit points? Why not just make us pay for our magic like in the original EB while they're at it. Though that was a Vic inspired move.

No, it wasn't...the Magic Exp for levelling up magic was in the Japanese game, and really isn't any worse than traditional levelling up; it just gave you some flexibility so that you could strengthen the useful stuff faster while ignoring the ones you never use anyway. WD's addition was using the M Exp for saving.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

:roll: People whine too much these days. Mickey you need one of those "No Whinning" signs on Lunar-NET.

I do however agree with the box art opinion...I mean I think I do like the Japanese design better, what is with--nevermind I won't get into a gender-based argument here :P I like the U.S. name and logo better though.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Alunissage, I mixed up my facts about the magic experience issue. I had meant the magic experience points for saving ordeal, which had not taken place in the Japanese original which you had pointed out.

I think our overzealousness, to finally have a new Lunar game to play leads to our scrutiny over the end product. We're expecting all things Lunar, but we're not getting all things Lunar with these gameplay implementations. All I can say is let them give it a try, and if it ends up sucking, don't even think about changing the works of future Lunar games with features best suited to a different series of rpgs.

The fact remains that we'll be questioning everything until we get our hands on what we anxiously anticipate, the continuation of our beloved Lunar.

Deltath
Lann Fisherman

Post by Deltath »

MiaOne wrote:Are you kidding me?!?! I'm assuming everything you're "disappointed" about is all technical...like battle systems, etc. But, honestly, Lunar isn't about a battle system or a huge animation movie sequence, it's about the story and characters and I think Lunar: Dragon Song is looking A+ in those departments.

Hmm...

MiaOne wrote:I apprecaite SSSC and TSS in a lot of different ways. TSS was my favorite Lunar game and probably will always remain so, but SSSC really did aid in character development and the anime scenes were simply breathtaking.

I was very disappointed in the lack of a variety of magic in SSSC. I practically threw the control at the TV screen when I realized Alex wasn't going to have his fire magic and Mia's spells were (oh so) simple and cliche in contrast to her crazy powerful magic in TSS (and Nash even used to be semi-useful!).

I see...

MiaOne wrote::roll: People whine too much these days. Mickey you need one of those "No Whinning" signs on Lunar-NET.

Wouldn't want to get worked up about the little things, now would we? =P

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Deltath wrote:Wouldn't want to get worked up about the little things, now would we? =P

You know, she was only pointing out flaws in games that have already come out. The only whining that's a bit irksome is when folks down certain aspects of the game we don't know a whole lot about yet. Particularly things that may very well change before the release. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I typed up a pretty decent sized post the other night, but for some reason I got logged out and as a result my post was lost after I pressed "submit"...but MiaOne managed to sum up pretty well what I was trying to say in it...so you get one big "hell yeah!"

Though, I can still remember a little from talking about music/story/characters...something like:

"but 2/3 of all great things Lunar isn't that bad. And, hey, if the folks at Game Arts are behind this game 100%, then so am I.

Granted, a mother would never call her baby ugly...the hope remains."

Aaron wrote:Well let me comment on your uh...other comment about other games not having that kind of battle view...its not true...I've played Breath of Fire and Phantasy Star all have similar views for battle.

Yes, but please remember that I said games that I've played...having never owned either of those, I've never experienced it.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

The typesetting (fonts) and menus looked kinda plain in screenshots
of the game. Are they final?