A New Bug Discovered in TSS!

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A New Bug Discovered in TSS!

Post by Jenner »

If you're thinking of trying to play this old game you should be aware of a bug or oversight a friend of mine recently discovered in the game.

At one point in the game the party is separated in the town of Meryod and the game was apparently set up so you have to collect your party in a specific order which is not communicated to you at all, not streamlined or intuitive, and failing to do so breaks the game and makes it unbeatable because the NPC you're meant to talk to to continue the plot does not show up.

Get Kyle last to avoid this bug.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: A New Bug Discovered in TSS!

Post by Alunissage »

Really? I feel sure I got them in multiple orders before. Well, next time I get to that point I'll poke at it a bit. Seems most likely to me that the NPC's appearance might be tagged to getting a particular line of dialogue that doesn't show up if you get Kyle before Jessica -- she yells at him for drinking, which she can't do if she's not in the party yet. The NPC's line about getting to Damon's Tower is the very next line in the game file after Kyle's response to Jessica, which may or may not be significant.

Lunar Legend has some issues with NPCs not loading at times (e.g., the soldiers training in Mel's mansion sometimes weren't there unless I exited and reentered). Haven't found this to happen with anyone who's actually required yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah I remember when Jenner discovered this secondhand, and... it confused me too, since I definitely collected the party members in different orders before. It may have to do with getting / not getting certain dialogue parts around those party members and collecting them in a different-than-expected order. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Post by RedHairGreenEyes »

I always get kyle first. Never seen any issues.

Here's a real new bug though -

Sidestep makes the Black Dragon's breath attack miss the whole party.
I went through a few different tests and it was hard to puzzle out why it misses the whole party, but as i can tell using sidestep 1x makes kyle not only dodge the black dragon physical attack once, but ALSO the full party dodges the breath attack.
USA only glitch btw.
Unfortunately it only works on this boss. Cuz it wouldve been great if it worked on xenobia and final boss as well...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh snap that is really fascinating. Is there a link (YouTube, Twitch, anything) to either of those runs you mentioned?
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Oh, neat. I'll need to note that one down.

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Post by RedHairGreenEyes »

It happens in holysmiths former wr run (i believe it happened in scaryice's run iirc)

https://www.speedrun.com/lunar_the_silv ... n/y970jkkm