First ever lunar the silver star 100% run completed...but IS it 100%?!

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

First ever lunar the silver star 100% run completed...but IS it 100%?!

Post by RedHairGreenEyes »

https://www.speedrun.com/lunar_the_silv ... n/z0r5rd9z

I was finally confident enough to try a lunar 100% run. I had found 18 hidden chests and was confident there were no more (even though 20 would make sense).

I tried to figure out by looking into the game's code if there was any way to find stuff like the Hammer or Poison Balloon but I......don't actually know how to do that.

I was hoping someone here would be able to look into the game a bit for me.

I mostly want to make sure I got all the chests in the game. I was thinking if you could find the part of the code that switches when a chest graphic goes from closed to open you could tell how many chests there were in game. But I'd also like to know if there was any possibility of triggering the unused items.

Does anyone here have the ability to help me out with this sort of thing? I was planning on making a YouTube video and offering a bounty, so I'll pay some money to the one who can work with me on this. Lmk.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: First ever lunar the silver star 100% run completed...but IS it 100%?!

Post by Alunissage »

Are you referring to the chests with stat-boosting nuts? I'd like to compare notes with you on that. I wrote down where I found them in my TSS guide (yes, I write in my guides...) but I've never counted them. I can tell you at least one falls victim to the peril of overlevelling that I noted a while back (chests being open/empty before I got to them). Actually, i'm planning to restart TSS today just to check for chests and update my notes, but I am the slowest player alive.

Unfortunately, while I've combed through the text a little, that's just looking at it with a hex editor and I don't know anything about the actual programming. Though I'd like to find out, because I do know a little about SSS's and would like to see how similar they are. There are a few lines that I haven't ever been able to evoke in-game, and I'd like to verify my observations about calculations. And especially a more definitive explanation of how the stat increases are calculated at level-up, because the stat tables someone extracted and posted here have things like Mia having 3 attacks, while I've never seen her get a second.

I was really sure for a while that I'd found a Goddess Robe on a playthrough, but when I couldn't find that item name in the game files I concluded that I had imagined it.

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

I just got an idea that may help! Could you search the text for "you received" and track treasures that way? Or plug in the names of the dummied items and see if there was any way to trigger them?

And about stats, I'm not sure on specifics but I AM sure the stats vary on level ups. Alex sometimes gets 199mp when I need him at 200
Sometimes 201. I'm assuming it's something like beyond the beyond level up where each Stat randomly gains +0, +1, +2 or +3 (or so). So...all the listed level up stats are just anecdotal unfortunately.
And yes the hidden chests I was asking about are the stat items (and rare gold ring/jewel). I'll post a full list tomorrow for you/everyone

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The chests don't have individual messages when they're opened. The map file for each area has one line " RECEIVED" and when you open a chest it displays the item name and adds that text to the end. And the name of the item isn't in the same file; it'd be an index number that would be looked up. The presence of the name in the list (like WIT WATCH) doesn't mean there's any chest that references that name.

If I think of a way to figure more out, I'll let you know. I always want to know more about this game. :)

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Full off-screen chest list (thanks to mled for most of the list/formatting)

2 Seeds > Meribia sewers (first screen)
Jewel+Gold Ring > Meribia Sewers (hideout)
1 Seed > Vane - Behind the Silver Spire
2 Seeds > Vane - Behind the Crystal Spire
1 Seed > Vane - Behind the entrance to the Cave of trials
1 Seed > Reza - Under the archway of the building directly below the Pub
1 Seed > Reza - Under the archway of the Item Bank building
1 Seed > Damons Spire 2F (bottom left)
2 Seeds > Damons Spire - Behind an empty bookshelf to the right side, and left side
2 Seeds > Prairie Cave - Under the archway near the bridge
1 Seed > Cadin - Behind the building near the north wall directly above the town entrance
1 Seed > Marke - Behind the entrance to the Black Dragon Cave
1 Seed > Ruid - Inside the house on the right side, behind a machine on the North wall

Will update with Seed specifics if any other chests are found.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

To clarify, those are all nuts, not seeds (I keep thinking you mean Seed of Vigor when you don't). I'd found the Reza ones but hadn't written them down, so I'm glad for the reminder. Had never checked the Prairie Cave, or else checked it at some super-high level not knowing that some chests are emptied if you're at high levels, and missed or didn't write down the one on Damon's Spire 2F. Got the rest on your list.

Say, have you noticed if there's a random element to the stat increase you get from these? The guide says it's +3 for all of them, but I've only ever seen them do +2.

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Oh yes. Nuts. True. The damons Spire 2f one was on the list u must have missed it. And I think that's just a classic case of the guides being wrong. Seriously like 1/3 of the Item descriptions aren't accurate

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Oh and technically I didn't make this list someone on gamefaqs did (I just added to it) but I suppose I never noticed the seeds/nuts thing