TSS speedrun now linked on main page

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silver Phoenix »

There were redundant musical scores in TSS, for certain caves, but at least they were good! They were short repeating compositions. However, the EB dragon cave music was just grating on the ears, and had nothing good about it.

I think that since some of us are long time fans we appreciate how inspiring the original score of TSS is, and how different it is from the other games. Anyone that has only had the experience of starting out with the remakes, is truly missing the experience of the originals. There were only minimal differences between Eternal Blue, and it's remake as far as music is concerned, so that is nowhere near the changes between TSS and SSSC.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It never bothered me at all (well, with one exception) that the same piece was used for multiple places. The three major towns (Burg, Meribia, Vane) had their own pieces (and you could still hear Meribia's in Ramus's shop after the town itself went to the other music); there were two versions of the music for the other towns, what I thought of as village and town. There were two dungeon pieces besides the dragon cave ones, which I thought of as man-made and natural. Really, I can't see the reason for more when those conveyed so much atmosphere on their own. And so on. The moment when the field music came back in after Laike told Alex to take his place as dragonmaster was incredible, even though I'd heard the piece before. In general, the pieces conveyed mood rather than specific locations, and the same (or very similar) emotions would be felt in multiple places so the same music was fine -- e.g., Burg after it was emptied and Vane after it fell. And changes in the music really made a difference, like the field music after Luna's capture. I was disappointed that similar changes didn't really happen in SSSC for the most part, and when they did (after Alex gets the sword, I think) they weren't to as dramatic and determined pieces.

My one minor quibble is that the same music was used for Ghaleon's palace and the Grindery, minus some sound effects. It's the only time that it didn't fit the visuals to me -- I guess they were going for the high-energy tension, but it seemed too rough and edgy for the palace. But that's fairly minor.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Like I said, eventhough there were some scores that were short and repeating, they were still good. I agree with you about the Ghaleon's Palace/Grindery music, but I think they kept the score pretty much the same, because it was a complete structure. The palace itself could have used something different, but it was never an issue for me. We still had that great end-battle music to look forward to. I also think Zophar's Destruction music was awesome, when you fight him in Eternal Blue.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Getting back to this, does anyone think it's possible to beat the bronze dogs without leveling up?

It's not like Final Fantasy where there are a ton of offensive items you can use. Maybe if you get incredibly lucky...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't really think so; I know I tried several times without Flamer and got wiped out after a few rounds. Possibly if you fled to try to get them to block each other and had a ton of healing items so you could alternate healing and flaming, but I suspect that at the level you'd be at entering the cave Flame may not do enough damage to wipe out a dog in two rounds (though I'm not sure it's level-dependent). I'm trying to remember what armor is available then too but I don't think there's anything particularly wonderful.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I don't really think so; I know I tried several times without Flamer and got wiped out after a few rounds. Possibly if you fled to try to get them to block each other and had a ton of healing items so you could alternate healing and flaming

Me and a friend did it like that without Flamer and pulled it off, but it took probably 30 tries before we got lucky enough.
Last edited by GhaleonOne on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Did you get the wrong tag? :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Heh, I got so used to typing the spoiler tag in during the Dragon Song release that I keep doing that. I didn't catch it after posting it this time though.
-G1

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Well, I just tried it, and I did it the very first time. Heh. Although, that means I have to do the whole game over again!

I went and fought him with the basic equipment (Heavy Clothes) to see how much damage they did. It was about 50 damage per hit.

So I just sold some stuff and bought the leather armor, wood shield, and something else (gloves?), and then I tried again and they did about 33-35 per hit. I think I got a little lucky, because when I flee'd, I went perfectly in the corner and only one could hit me at a time, but it was not hard at all. And neither was the Truffle Troubler. So I'm definitely going to have to do it all again, because this alone saves ten minutes.

I can probably save a few minutes going faster on other parts, and maybe a little less time buying items and stuff. So I'm guessing if I do it again, I could cut it from 3:35 to 3:20 or so. But I still want to do Popful Mail first.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, cool.

It would probably be worthwhile to figure out exactly what the trigger is to make her and Tempest wait for the party at the bridge, or whatever it is that happens. And I wondered, does Mia's De-Protect really do more than her spells would in a boss battle? It didn't seem like damage was upped that much, all things considered. But I'd probably have to watch again.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Well, I'm not gonna do it a third time, so I'll be sure to get everything perfect. De-Protect, even if it has only a small effect, it's probably more than whatever her other spells would do, because it makes all the other attacks do better.

EDIT:

Actually, I think I might be screwed now, because my Sega CD is messing up. I was just playing Popful Mail, and for the second time in half an hour it just quits on me. The screen turns black, and it says "MAIN-CPU error !!" And then below it rows of numbers and letters. Never seen that before. Hopefully, it's not a big deal. Who knows.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

That's kind of creepy. I haven't spent a whole lot of time playing Popful Mail, but I never saw anything like that happen.

Fatal error screens on console games disturb me. :oops:
「まあいいけど。」

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Sonic the Hedgehog (the original) gave me an "Illegal Instruction" once.

Interesting tidbit:
Walk off the edge of Katarina/Marius/Stadius in TSS, you'll end up in an Althena's shrine. Walk off the edge of the Frontier and you'll end up in DISC ERROR.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

How do you walk off the edge?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Likely by GameShark, though I've heard there were a few glitches. Jenner claims she could walk through mountains between Burg and the White Dragon Cave, but I can't remember where.
-G1

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Always good to see a time attack. I think I'm going to save this moment.. onto some dvds hehe. I need to get a new Lunar: The Silver Star.. my first disk is scratched as if you took a metal wool pad and rubbed it down a few hours.. The second disk is cracked (Just bought it too before I cracked it..) so it's unplayable. Hopefully my third one I buy has another set of artwork ::grins:: It's the only reason I keep the other two anyway.

By the way, I look forward to your popful mail run! Good luck getting the sega cd back up.