Hiro Solo Challenge?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hiro Solo Challenge?

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, I know challenges have been mentioned here before. But I just thought of one that wouldn't take too much time (i.e., trying to fight the entire game without armor).

Mostly this deals with beating the Epilogue. Since you can select any of your past comrades to join you, meaning all or none of them (the first time through I didn't even find Leo), then your party at the end of the Epilogue can be comprised of anyone from just Hiro to all five.

Now, that being said, I'm wondering if anyone has tried beating the epilogue solo? That is, taking just Hiro through the Dragon Ruins for one jewel (but not having to fight the Dopplegangers there), then taking him through the Sunken Tower (where you do have to fight the Star Sentry), and finally taking him up to the Star Dragon Tower (where you have to fight one-on-one anyway).

I'm going to beat it once normally, since I'm near the end of the Japanese game as-is and I'm taking screenshots. But after that, I'm curious to see if I can't pull off a Hiro Solo ending. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I did it in EBC once, but not EB. I know at least one person here has said they've tried it though.
-G1

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Thats a very interesting concept, maybe its time for me to bust out the PS and Sega cd again

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

been there and did it in EBC

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yep, just did it in EB. Fighting the Star Dragon in the Sunken Tower was difficult! I had to be at Level 72 before being able to defeat him.

Here's the general strategy I used:

First step is to gather equipment. Before doing anything, speak with Nall at Taben's Peak and get Althena's Sword. This effectively lets Hiro heal himself for free during battle better than a Dover Nut, so you can stock his own inventory with just MP restoration items instead.

Second, you'll need the ring from Lionshead (forget the name...), Lucia's Tear, and the Dragon Armor. First stop, then, is Lionshead. Equip on Hiro something to defend him against being stoned, and run up the tower to the 'revolving room' (save on every floor!)--the ring is in the top-and-right room. This lets you make 4 attacks per round and eliminates range as a problem.

Third stop is Dragon's Nest. Again, save on each floor of the cave. You should stock up on MP restoration items if need be, as well. Running won't work usually, so you'll have to fight your way through most battles (the dopplegangers will be the toughest here). When you get to the end, grab Lucia's Tear and equip that on Hiro. He can now attack every enemy on the screen and four times per round.

Fourth stop is the Dragon Ruins, where you can kill two birds with one stone. This is a good place to level up to about 68-70 as well. Anyway, ascend to the top and be sure to collect the remaining pieces of Dragon Armor (shield and armor). Grab the Dragon Eye jewel and head on out, unless your feeling suicidal and want to tackle the dopplegangers at the top.

Fifth stop is the Sunken Tower. Level up here until you hit about Level 71-72. Don't bother with any treasure, as none of it is stuff Hiro can equip. When you're ready, beeline it for the bottom where the Star Sentry is waiting--this will be your toughest fight yet.

De-equip Lucia's Tear and give him a Healing Ring or something else useful. You'll have to learn to predict most of his attacks and keep Hiro's health above 300 at all costs--preferably try to keep it above 450. Do regular attacks (by this point, his four attacks are stronger than Poe Sword) whenever Hiro's health is sufficient, and use Althena's Sword to heal yourself otherwise. Be conservative with attacks and prioritize healing--the fight will usually require a lot of patience.

After defeating him, grab the jewel, hop on over to the Star Dragon Tower, and the rest is a cakewalk. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)