Character's ages in lunar

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
joker_mausland
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Character's ages in lunar

Post by joker_mausland »

I was wondering what the ages were of the characters in lunar. In this link: http://home.att.net/~RCgamusic/lunarqa.txt it says Ronfar is 19 in one answers to a question and it also says the ages are listed in the lunar artbook. I have the artbook but it's all in japanese so I can't really read much of it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Pretty sure the numbers aren't in Japanese, though. ;) The ages are the only numbers on the characters' respective pages. According to the book, Hiro is 16, Jean is 18, Ronfar is 19, Lemina is 16, Mauri is 16, and Leo is 18. I should add that most of us think that these are pretty ridiculous, except maybe Hiro's and Lemina's. I think the scenario writer said in some other interview that they (and this may have been Japanese developers in general) made the ages young to match the ages of the players... never mind that some of us are actually not in the 16-19 range and this made the characters extremely implausible.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually Jean I can see being 18. Ronfar, Mauri, and Leo on the other hand....

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

I always thought Ronfar, Leo and Mauri were in their 20's and Hiro was 17 or 18. :O well this is certainly a surprise lol.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

joker_mausland wrote:I always thought Ronfar, Leo and Mauri were in their 20's and Hiro was 17 or 18. :O well this is certainly a surprise lol.
The character ages are one of the few things said by the original creators of the game that I don't take too seriously, just because they're so odd (and, to me, rather arbitrary).

What I figure is more along the lines of Hiro being about 18, Ronfar, Jean, and Mauri in their early 20s, Leo in his mid 20s, and Lemina about 16-18 (the only one that seems plausible). Either that or a Lunar year is 20% longer than an Earth year. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ronfar needs to be old enough to have become a fully-qualified priest some time before the events of EB -- I don't remember if it's said when exactly he tried to cure Mauri, but I had the impression it was at least a couple of years previous. Leo and Mauri need to be old enough to plausibly be selected as two of the Four Heroes (compare Borgan and Lunn, clearly both adults and probably of the previous generation). I can see Jean being a bit younger because of her history, which would force anyone not utterly broken to grow up. I had the impression she ran away in her mid-teens, then was with the caravan for several years.

Kiz, when you get a chance can you look at the information given in the artbook? Lucia and Ruby have the same thing listed for their ages, which I assume is something like "unknown", but I'm wondering what Nall's says, and the others.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Kiz, when you get a chance can you look at the information given in the artbook? Lucia and Ruby have the same thing listed for their ages, which I assume is something like "unknown", but I'm wondering what Nall's says, and the others.
It only took a second (was on the shelf right behind me).

For Lucia and Ruby it just says "Unknown" (as expected). For Nall, it says "estimated 5-600 years).

Incidentally, I didn't catch this before. But the original plan for Ruby's human form involved (nick)naming her human form "Mink". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

ronfar has to be at least 30. compare how he looked when he saved mauri to any other time. remember when the dragon kids picked on him?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I always pictured Ronnie in his 30s as well. Mauri at least late 20s and Leo I always gathered at least 35, if not 40s.

That's interested regarding Nall's age though. Considering the time span was always given as 1000 years. I seem to recall someone saying that was changed in the US versions, but I can't remember if that was ever resolved. It throws yet another stinkin' kink in my timeline unfortunately.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:That's interested regarding Nall's age though. Considering the time span was always given as 1000 years. I seem to recall someone saying that was changed in the US versions, but I can't remember if that was ever resolved. It throws yet another stinkin' kink in my timeline unfortunately.
I don't think I've come across any evidence supporting that. If I do though I'll let you know. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Ruby says Leo is 30-something and single in EB
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm pretty sure that's just a crack at Leo because she's taken a dislike to him, though. One of the long-ago responses in WD's letters column said that Leo was NOT gay, Ruby was just hassling him, and the line which prompted the question to which that was a response is the one you're referring to, along the lines of "Not as strange as you being 35 and never having a girlfriend! People are beginning to talk..." She doesn't know anything about him at that point (the very beginning, when Leo's asking Gwyn how to get into the Spire), of course; she only saw him for the first time shortly before. I wouldn't take that as definitive any more than Ronfar being described as 45 on the wanted poster in Takkar or wherever it was in EBC. It does, however, suggest that he looked to be in his 30s to her.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

I restarted EBC and saw that line and couldn't help but wonder if anyone bothered to make a big deal out of it. Besides...Leo's only turns gay when he has his Mystere get-up going on. :lol:

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Alunissage wrote:"Not as strange as you being 35 and never having a girlfriend! People are beginning to talk..."
Hullo again! That line wasn't in the Japanese version at all as I recall, it being one of the few justly criticized parts of WD's translation of Eternal Blue way back when.

As for the 1000 years thing, this is actually very interesting. I personally am a fan of the "1000 years have passed" box copy that WD prepared for EB in both the original and remakes (one of the only decent producers of box copy in any medium, that company), but there's nowhere I recall ever reading 1000 in the Japanese version, though of course it's been "a long long time since Arhes' day" and all that. Plus, as Kizyr noted, the Official Design Materials Collection lists a span of years for the possible age for Nall, as well, who would be the one clear marker of the exact gap between the two games. -Maybe- 1000 appears on some random bookshelf somewhere in the endless tomes that populate Eternal Blue's world and I forgot, but it's definitely not obviously stated in the obvious places like in the US. Not that it matters, I guess, and 1000 is still a pleasing number...

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Leo's only turns gay when he has his Mystere get-up going on. :lol:
"Sample my goods!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The whole point is that as Mystere he can break out of his rather pompous, authoritative role and be playful, which he isn't quite sure how to do. It seems rather ridiculous, and even offensive, to take acting differently from the way you have previously and letting a more nutty side of your personality show as an indication of sexual orientation.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

AlexofBurg wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Leo's only turns gay when he has his Mystere get-up going on. :lol:
"Sample my goods!"

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

AlexofBurg wrote:
"Sample my goods!"
lmfao! this made my night. my eyes teared up for a sec while laughing at this.
Alunissage wrote:The whole point is that as Mystere he can break out of his rather pompous, authoritative role and be playful, which he isn't quite sure how to do. It seems rather ridiculous, and even offensive, to take acting differently from the way you have previously and letting a more nutty side of your personality show as an indication of sexual orientation.
yeah i was making a joke.

Enigma
Nanza Bandit

Post by Enigma »

I've never seen, read or heard anything about Lunar in Japanese before but I clearly remember something about 100 years in the English version. I'm not sure where but I certainly remember it.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Enigma wrote:I've never seen, read or heard anything about Lunar in Japanese before but I clearly remember something about 100 years in the English version. I'm not sure where but I certainly remember it.
...can you be more specific? 100 years for what? Someone's age?

Incidentally, the 'wanted' poster in Takkar village in the Japanese EBC (Saturn version) supposedly lists ages. It has Hiro as 16, and Ronfar as 45. However, the same poster also misspells both Hiro and Ronfar's names (as Piro and Ronpar), and refers to Lucia's hat as a "red roll of bread she wears on her head". So, that information was probably meant to be inaccurate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)