cheating is bad!!!!!!!!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations

how many people use gameshark in this game anyway

Poll ended at Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:33 am

did you
11%
no gameshark
89%

Total votes: 9

Ianc
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

cheating is bad!!!!!!!!

Post by Ianc »

Why does alot of people use gameshark to cheat when at galleon fight, theres no glory in beating a good rpg by cheating, its technically not beating the game by your self anyway, its having a machine do it all for you if you use gameshark :evil: :x :x

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

"alot" of people? I've only ever heard of it being done by that one person in that one thread.

Ianc
Burg Farmer

Post by Ianc »

I have 15 friends who beat this game this game using gameshark, walkthroughs, and dungeon maps, i was wondering if other people are stupid cheaters that say they beat the game but they are just full of lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :evil: :x :evil: :x

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

What difference does it make? I personally play an RPG for the story. The gameplay is great and all, and no, I don't think it would be near as fun using a GameShark the first time through, but some people do use things like walkthroughs and dungeons maps when trying to get a complete game their second time through (or even first for some people). I'm personally replaying Ocarana of Time right now and using a guide. I'm doing the dungeons on my own, but I'm using a guide to find all the Skulltula's and other hidden things I might have missed years ago when I played it, so I can experience everything in the game. What's wrong with that? It's not cheating. I bought the bloody game and have every right to do with it as I please. If we were talking a competitive game against other people (either in person or online) then no, I think using a GameShark should be banned, but for someone just wanting to find everything or find hidden scenes that might have missed before, what's the big deal?
-G1

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Walkthroughs and strategy guides I don't really have a problem with, you're still the one doing the fighting and leveling. Gameshark does bother me sometimes, especially when people use them for RPGs and then brag about how they beat the game so easily. If you've already beaten the game once on your own, I think it's fine. Or if you're playing a slash 'n bash game and you jsut wanna get some aggressions out, I don't mind putting on infinite health or something. But with RPG's I try to stay away from any outside help at all, I just find it more fulfilling when I complete it on my own (or with a friend or something). But GhaleonOne does make a good point: if you bought the game, then you do have the right to play it however you want. So for me: generally no cheats. For other people: doesn't matter much to me what they do.

And speaking of Ocarina of Time, I've played that game so much I can beat the whole thing in one day (I'm a loser, yes I know I know :wink: ).

Ianc
Burg Farmer

Post by Ianc »

Walkthroughs and maps are bad too! a walkthrough will help you with problems, what to do, and other stuff, maps are bad also because they help you in dungeos they are both forms of cheating

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I suppose I might agree with your 'cheating=bad' claim if I was back in middle school or high school. But I'm not, and often I think that video games developers don't respect the amount of time that players must put in in order to complete a game. I don't have the option (or the patience) to spend 2 weeks trying to get past a tough boss, and using walkthroughs when I'm stuck helps me get the most out of my time.

I condone the use of cheat devices to get through particularly difficult areas, but having cheats on all the time and then bragging about how easy such-and-such a game was is super lame.
「まあいいけど。」

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I think talking about how easy a game is super lame no matter what. Just stupid bragging.

On a completely different topic, people who brag about how over-levelled they are annoy me.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I admit, I used a gameshark. BUT! I only used it AFTER I beat the game twice :D. After that, I just used it for fun.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I always wanted a Game Shark during the days of Phantasy Star Online mostly to be able to mess with the people who would freeze up other people's games or kill them and steal their stuff. I hated those guys.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Ianc wrote:Walkthroughs and maps are bad too! a walkthrough will help you with problems, what to do, and other stuff, maps are bad also because they help you in dungeos they are both forms of cheating

I haven't cheated in a while, but I think that your view on the matter of cheating is... narrow.

If I'm only playing against myself, and it makes the game more fun, then I'll do it. For example, Sonic 2 and the level select cheat (19, 65, 9, 17) and the Super Sonic (4, 1, 2, 6) and the debug (1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4). I'd beat the game before, but this made it so much more fun, because I could go through the level as a ring, play through the final level as Super Sonic... even access Hidden Palace with a certain glitch!

It seems like you're demanding people to adhere to a Puritan outlook on gaming. What's more important; the sanctity of the game, or the pleasure one gets out of playing it?

I'll agree that people shouldn't brag about cheating. I'll also agree that defeating a difficult boss without aid is more awesome. But sometimes people need help, or want it, or choose to have it. Who are we to deny them that? Who are we to denigrate them for it?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:I suppose I might agree with your 'cheating=bad' claim if I was back in middle school or high school. But I'm not, and often I think that video games developers don't respect the amount of time that players must put in in order to complete a game. I don't have the option (or the patience) to spend 2 weeks trying to get past a tough boss, and using walkthroughs when I'm stuck helps me get the most out of my time.

Right... When I used to have the time to sit at home and play video games for 2-3 hours a day, I'd spend forever on it and enjoy it. These days, I'm lucky to get in an hour a day of anything.

For newer games, I don't use guides or anything of the sort. For older games, though, that I'll likely only get to play once, I'll still use walkthroughs, maps, cheat guides, etc. No Gamesharks / Cheat devices, though; that just makes it too easy (and tempting).

I even used it for Tales of Phantasia, which is my favorite game after the Lunar series (both Super Famicom and PSX versions). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I didn't see the guide part of his post. I don't believe that it's cheating. I mean, if it was cheating, then I doubt the game publisher would actually support it by selling a really expensive strategy guide to help you.

I use guide when I get stuck. Like Golden Sun. I hate puzzles, and I've been stuck on the same spot FOREVER! And this is just the first part of Golden Sun mind you, this one is supposed to have "easy puzzles" compared to the second part. I've used strategy after strategy guide, and I'm still stuck on this spot.

Nah, i just don't buy using a startegy guide as cheating. I for one don't like to spend 933 hours just trying to figure out one aspec of the game when I can use a strategy guide to speed up the prossess by 99.99% :)

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

There are some games that you have to cheat for...or at least bend the rules. One game that I have constantly cheat for is Daggerfall. Of course part of the problem is that game was buggy as hell and is only decent after altering it. (Patches, mods)

And using guides IMO are acceptable for certain genres. Like during my space-sim days, I would need to know if certain ships were being unfairly targeted, etc. But that was only after losing the mission twenty times in a row and being extremely frustrated. In RPG's its a bit iffy. I tend toward spoiler free guides and faqs if I'm really stuck. And thanks to emulators, the time spend leveling can done in a matter of minutes as opposed to hours (thank goodness). All this falls under 'bending the rules.'

Afterall when I play a game, I want an enjoyable experience. Not one screaming and venting (or bored) at a screen.
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.
-Mencius, Bk V, Chap V, Legge Translation

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehe, Daggerfall. My god was that game buggy. I still think it's the buggiest official game of all time. I mean, I litterally had to save every couple of minutes, least my character falls through the walls again.

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

Yeah..that was a pain. Thankfully they 'fixed' that. I'd play one of the latter games but my comp isn't exactly state of the art at the moment. I don't know why I keep playing though...
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.
-Mencius, Bk V, Chap V, Legge Translation

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Yes I did use a gameshark for the final battle with Ghaleon, but the only thing I used it for was to get to level 99. That way I would still have to fight him but it took freakin forever to kill him.

Mychael216
Meribian Merchant

Post by Mychael216 »

I only used the Gameshark and the walkthrough AFTER I beat the game a few times. I find that I don't have much time for games anymore and leveling is just one was to make the game go faster.

But I do get really annoyed at people who won't take the time out to beat the game on their own at least once!

iamstillhiro1112
Saith Pirate

Post by iamstillhiro1112 »

Yeah, I used the gameshark, but only after I beat the game. Mostly to try and do things I couldnt before. Like walk thru walls, and kill Ghalleon. It was pretty cool cause he was sposed to be unkillable.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Werefrog wrote:I think talking about how easy a game is super lame no matter what. Just stupid bragging.

Eh, I think bragging about a game being easy is super lame. Talking, not so much. For example, I didn't find Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town as enjoyable as the PS1 and N64 versions because I found that it was much easier to make money. Since it was much easier, I found it fairly boring since I could complete most of the objectives in the game quickly.
It's the same thing with some RPG's and other games- I like strategy in boss fights, especially, so it certainly detracts from my experience if I find them too easy.
....Really, I'm not even sure why I'm talking about this. I think I just wanted to make the point that sometimes those comments do hold truth. Pardon for the tangent.

Anyway, as for guides? Really, I couldn't care less, anymore than I'd care if my neighbor down the street, say, mowed their lawn monthly. I just don't believe that it's any of my business, unless they make it so.
Besides for that, while I'll normally play 'guideless' for the first time 'round, sometimes I find playing with a strategy guide much more enjoyable. For example, I enjoyed Silent Hill 4's story, but I found much of the actual game to be quit e frustrating. So, I played the second half by guide- and it didn't detract from my experience at all- in, fact, it added to it. Guides don't have to be a thing of evil.
I just don't want to think that way - feeling guilty- over my entertainment. Games are what I play to relax, and if that means 'cheating', then it's just too bad.