The ending: What did I do wrong?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Zorra
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The ending: What did I do wrong?

Post by Zorra »

I ended up beating Ghaleon on my third try only to not save and ended up killed by the Goddess. Thinking it was finally over, I simply approached her up the stairs and she toasted me. I'm still confused as to what I did wrong. On my second attempt approaching her (after my fourth try at Ghaleon), I tried a variety of things like accessing my ocarina and the mirror and trying to step back as she shot at me in hopes that she wouldn't kill me and she didn't. I'm just curious as to what it was I did that spared my life that second time.

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

(someone will correct me if I wrong since I've only ever beaten the Sega CD version)

As you're walking up, everytime she says something to you start playing the ocarina. It'll weaken her. She'll keep toasting you but you can just heal on your way up, everytime she says something play it again. Eventually you'll make it up to her and it'll be all good.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Scorpioeyez wrote:(someone will correct me if I wrong since I've only ever beaten the Sega CD version)

As you're walking up, everytime she says something to you start playing the ocarina. It'll weaken her. She'll keep toasting you but you can just heal on your way up, everytime she says something play it again. Eventually you'll make it up to her and it'll be all good.

That's pretty much it. Except I don't think the healing is necessary. Hopefully, the ocarina is in Alex's inventory.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The orcarina is always in Alex's inventory if I recall. Anyway, just play the orcarina. No need to heal or play it more than once.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote:The orcarina is always in Alex's inventory if I recall. Anyway, just play the orcarina. No need to heal or play it more than once.

Unless he started in the demo and moved it around.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, Phyco, that was a major glitch that was overlooked (and the main reason WD made EBC demo saves incompatible with the full release). Unlike the main game, the demo allowed you to move Alex's ocarana from the inventory, so if you used that save, and started up the full game without it in Alex's inventory, you're screwed at the end of the game.
-G1

Zorra
Burg Farmer

Post by Zorra »

Ah, okay, thank you. And they're right, you don't have to heal. I kept compulsively checking myself to see if I had any damage, and I was full the entire time.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, Phyco, that was a major glitch that was overlooked (and the main reason WD made EBC demo saves incompatible with the full release). Unlike the main game, the demo allowed you to move Alex's ocarana from the inventory, so if you used that save, and started up the full game without it in Alex's inventory, you're screwed at the end of the game.

It'd be more accurate to say that it was a consequence of fixing a major glitch. In the Japanese game you can give the ocarina to anyone, so that then there's a possibility or even a likelihood that Alex won't have it at the end of the game. This wasn't a problem in TSS because of the group inventory (and it couldn't be equipped by any other party member) but SSSC didn't have that. WD fixed it between the demo and the final, so it did affect people who'd played the demo but not as many as would potentially have been affected by leaving it alone (that is, everyone who played the game). Unfortunately, in making it impossible to remove from Alex's inventory it was also AFAIK impossible to return it to him.

Funny thing is that needing the harp in TSS was a WD addition, which the developers liked enough to put in the remake.

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

After you use the ocarina once it dissapears which means you will not die. No need to heal.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Dragonmaster Dyne wrote:After you use the ocarina once it dissapears which means you will not die. No need to heal.

What disappears? Alex's ordarina? That never disappears :P

And... I totally forgot about that glitch :P However, someone asking today about what they did wrong at the end, while plausable they have that glitch, I doubt they would. Not many players new to the game would have that demo, much less the save. :)

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

Ah ok, glad that you don't have to heal. In the Sega CD version, you still took damage everytime you got fried so you had to heal on the way up.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

[quote="phyco126"][quote="Dragonmaster Dyne"]After you use the ocarina once it dissapears which means you will not die. No need to heal.[/quote]

What disappears? Alex's ordarina? That never disappears :P

When i played it last after i used it the ocarina dissapeared and i couldn't use it again. Im going to play it again just to make sure.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm 99% certain that it doesn't, but eh, it's been a few years. Guess I'll be seeing if I have a save game close to the end on my mem. card.

And to clarify something earlier said, I think you only have to play the Orcarina once after she blasts you, not multiple times.

yroc
Lyton Singer

Post by yroc »

Yeah, it disappears after the first time you used it. I've played SSSC about 4 times now and each time, it was gone after the first use.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Phyco, they're talking about at the end of the game, I think. When you use it going up the stairs to Luna/Althena. I was getting confused too, thinking they meant during the course of the game.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh, I know what they where talking about, I just remember the Orcarina still being in Alex's inventory during the epilogue, but I guess I was mistaken. >_>

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

for me, that didn't always happen. i'd always be worried about it, so i'd wait until she said that it was her last time before i played it, but it didn't disappear. it happened once and i had to reload the game, but i'm pretty sure it was only once.