No, say it isn't so!

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

No, say it isn't so!

Post by phyco126 »

I was looking through WD's website and decided to go into their reviews section. There, I found that both SSSC and EBC got less than a 10, while FFVII got an 11. I think I'm gonna puke (or blow up Square :P)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, the reviews aren't all that consistent. The RPG Critic downgraded SSSC at least for not being enough of an upgrade (and for not giving Mia a love interest like Ghaleon from Lunar 2, thus spoiling EB for me), but his TSS review was 1) on a different scale and 2) consists of one inaccurate paragraph. This is the same guy who also took a point off Majora's Mask solely because there was no fishing in it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's not Working Designs' reviews, it's RPG Critic's reviews.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I know it isn't WD, but still. Giving FFVII an 11, but SSSC and EBC less than 10? That's blasphemy!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Different strokes for different folks. I imagine FF7 was a lot more groundbreaking in its day than SSSC and EBC, which were remakes and several years old.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Er, posted that without realizing Alunissage had already responded. But yeah, Alunissage is right. All down to opinions. It's still harsh seeing FFVII was an 11, and even TSS only gets an 8.5. At least he rated EB highly, even if it also was below FFVII. I'm also surprised he gave Arc the Lad an 11. It was good, but there were better WD games IMO. Again, all down to opinion though.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well...I've seen movie critics praise a movie that made no money, and jeer movies that rolled in the big bucks. There's honestly little to judge from reviews.

The only true way to review anything is rent it from the game rental store and play it.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I could care less about what critics think anyway. I just thought that the scoring was about as "go figure" as seeing a chick driving a mustang.

Mr.Anderson
Burg Farmer

Re: No, say it isn't so!

Post by Mr.Anderson »

phyco126 wrote:I was looking through WD's website and decided to go into their reviews section. There, I found that both SSSC and EBC got less than a 10, while FFVII got an 11. I think I'm gonna puke (or blow up Square :P)

I love the Lunar games, but FFVII was better.
We've been waiting for you... Mr.Anderson...

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Uh oh.

...Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to pray for the repose of the soul of Mr. Anderson...

:wink:
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

well, I don't know how the lunar completes are, but I think FFVII was a very very good game. I played it over and over and over etc. such a great storyline...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I personally loved FFVII too, but even before I played Lunar I realized that people where fanatic with the game. So on that note... *tosses Mr. Anderson a few dozen Friendship rings*

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Eh.

Final Fantasy VII was good, but it honestly isn't nearly as good as the attention that it gets might suggest. (How VII is more worthy of an entire Compilation dedicated to it, while VI, X, or even VIII are not is beyond me.) I hate to let fan reactions sway my opinion of games, but I must say when I see something as mediocre (compared to other RPGs) as Final Fantasy VII get THAT much attention it just...irks me to no end.

The Lunar Series is leaps and bounds ahead of Final Fantasy VII IMO. Final Fantasy VII isn't even in my top 5 favorite Final Fantasies. God, I hate the attention that game is getting. :cry:
- Mike

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Is it really fair even to compare the two? People look for different things in RPGs. I generally haven't warmed up to the FFs that much because I don't like seeing town after town destroyed...well, something else must happen, but in general I'm not so interested in being depressed when I'm playing a game. On the other hand, I imagine people who like really complex storylines and battle/magic systems and whatnot may find the Lunars simplistic. *shrug* I haven't played much of any of the FFs except 1 and MQ myself, so I'm extrapolating from watching other people play.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

In my opinion, the Lunar series is greatly, greatly superior to the Final Fantasy series as a whole. Final Fantasy VII was alright, and Final Fantasy VI was better, but in general the stories of the Final Fantasy games usually seem too slapped-together and lack a cohesive structure. They toss in plot twists that don't make any kind of narrative sense, and they often have silly, one-dimentional characters that have very little realistic characterization.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

ilovemyguitar wrote:In my opinion, the Lunar series is greatly, greatly superior to the Final Fantasy series as a whole. Final Fantasy VII was alright, and Final Fantasy VI was better, but in general the stories of the Final Fantasy games usually seem too slapped-together and lack a cohesive structure. They toss in plot twists that don't make any kind of narrative sense, and they often have silly, one-dimentional characters that have very little realistic characterization.

I agree completely. I really adore my favorite Final Fantasy games (VI, VIII, X, and X-2), but none of the series really holds a candle to the Lunar series. The characters are just much more...I don't know. Real? Likable as well. :P
- Mike

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I think Lunar is just hated because of it's 2D atmosphere (oh Voice acting and real animated movies, way ahead of it's time compared to FFs.)

However, it has come to my attention that there in an unlockable scene in L:L that is along the lines of FFVII. It makes since, as SquareEnix owns part of GA.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

........*DIES LAUGHING*

I don't even know why I find that so funny. XDD It must be misc. guy.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Poor Luna getting Shishkabobed.

Never mind that'd COMPLETELY ruin Ghaleon's plans...hehe.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I probably would have found it more funny had I not already seen it a few times when I was looking around phyco's site. :P
- Mike