Dyne and Althena (Spoilers)

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Angelalex242 »

Hmm. Creating that much water to flood the world sounds...Biblical.

What was the Dragonmaster doing while Althena was off crying away? Didn't he think to give her a hankie? :P
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It wasn't part of the legend, so it wasn't put in. Not everything needs to be accounted for.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Angelalex242 wrote:Hmm. Creating that much water to flood the world sounds...Biblical.

I'm actually thinking that there's something to that idea. From what I've heard, a lot of the characters in Lunar: Dragon Song have biblical names. And what is the game called in Japan? Lunar Genesis.

Perhaps the "Genesis" aspect of the game isn't so much alluding to the creation, but another story in the book of Genesis in the Christian Bible: Noah's Ark.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm fairly sure the names are to indicate that this is far in the past. Only the humans have them, incidentally, unless you want to count Gabryel. It still escapes me why they would call the game Genesis when there's clearly history before then, but *shrug*

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Because they're not going to make a prequel to Genesis.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Which is a pity. Imagine a game starting on the Blue Star, and following Dragonmaster Louie's footsteps through Althena nuking Zophar, the travel to Lunar, and setting up the great cities of that time. And the beginnings of Althena's religion...
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Just how does one become the first Dragonmaster? Nevertheless, it won't happen, and I'd rather have Lunar 3 or a Four Heroes game than a real Genesis.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Aye. The game concept would be difficult, because there's no real motivation for personal progression. Everything's happening on a grand scale, and there's no resolution in reaching the Blue Star, as a result of Althena having defeated Zophar (read: someone else fighting what would otherwise be the 'final boss'). Since the Silver Star was referred to as lifeless before, I doubt there'd be any natural enemies there.

There's not enough there for someone, even Dragonmaster Louie, to hold importance, unless the game were a non-traditional RPG in the sense that the hero didn't undergo some grand transformation and save the world. And what meaning would be there? The overlying meaning is that Althena rocks and can take care of us, which by itself isn't too fun. Maybe there could be this underlying tone of hope and new opportunity, but... now I'm speculating.

I couldn't see such a concept as being anything more than a side-story. I like it as it is, a mythical background with historical underpinnings.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Oh, I dunno.

Imagine a full power Althena in the party. In sort of a Blue Spire Lucia sort of way......wait a minute. A full power Althena in the party WITH Blue Spire Lucia. Let's not forget Lucia's immortal and existed in this time era, before she hopped in her little green crystal of 'wait here and revive the planet.' So you get TWO goddesses in the party. At the same time. With your Dragonmaster. Okay, I like this idea. Two bluehaired divine hotties...err...did I type that out loud? :oops:

Oh. Or there ya go. You have Dragonmaster Louie and possibly Lucia running around fighting Zophar's minions off Althena as she powers up Althena's Light. Louie's job is supposed to be protecting her, so he might as well be shown doing it.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Sonic# wrote:There's not enough there for someone, even Dragonmaster Louie, to hold importance, unless the game were a non-traditional RPG in the sense that the hero didn't undergo some grand transformation and save the world. And what meaning would be there? The overlying meaning is that Althena rocks and can take care of us, which by itself isn't too fun. Maybe there could be this underlying tone of hope and new opportunity, but... now I'm speculating.

SimLunar. I was always sort of felt I was playing god in those Sim games anyway. :)

Ardekh wrote:Because they're not going to make a prequel to Genesis.

...Probably not, anyway. Assuming the timeline is correct, there's a lot of potential history for them to explore if they wanted to make more games. Even though they may not planning it now, who knows what could happen in 5 or 8 years.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Or ActRaiser Lunar?

Remember that Game? The Original ActRaiser?

It was in part an action game, as god goes and smite bad guys, the other part was a divinely aided Simgame.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yawn. Lucia doesn't know anything about humans, so she wouldn't be playable. She also finds Lunar strange and new (even though it presumably mimics what the Blue Star was like pre-Zophar) so she may well haven't even existed before the death of the Blue Star. Also, people appealed to Althena to save them, so she was already at least revered, if not worshipped, so arrival on Lunar wouldn't be the beginning of religion.

I don't believe there's been an official statement that there will never be a story earlier than Genesis, unless I've missed something.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Being unaware of humans doesn't necessarily mean being unaware of other deities. If Althena's in the party, there's no reason Lucia couldn't be.

And if she never meets Louie out of Dragonmaster form...well, Dragonmasters are hardly your average humans.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding Lucia, that's kind of a plot hole IMO. She comes to Lunar and acts like she knows nothing of humanity, but she definately knows who Althena is and Lucia seems to know too much about the workings of Lunar to have never had contact with people up on the Blue Star before. It's hard to say. I'm thinking perhaps humanity was just so drastically different on Lunar at that point compared to humanity on the Blue Star. Her last memories of humanity on the Blue Star would have likely been humans with evil hearts, having brought forth Zophar. It even shows many humans transformed into demons based on their evil hearts. So that also may be why she struggled with humanity so much during the story of EB. Just a thought though. Again, it's impossible to say what exactly happened at that time, as there is no solid evidence regarding Lucia prior to EB other than just having been sleeping in a crystal.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Well, think of how we, as humans, regard insects. We know what they look like, a bit about how they act, etc. But if we were to actually be sent to live among insects, and interact with their world as one of them, it would be a totally mind-bending experience.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I'm not sure if Althena and Lucia thought THAT little of humanity. Even back then. They evidently thought enough of humans to make Louie Dragonmaster.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I don't mean it in that way, like Lucia saw people as tiny and insignificant before. I mean she simply hadn't experienced living as one, so she couldn't possibly understand what it was like.

Maybe I should say it's more like animals in the wild. Like wild boars or something. We see how they act, but we don't actually interact with them, so we don't know what it's like to live as one.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Angelalex242 wrote:I'm not sure if Althena and Lucia thought THAT little of humanity. Even back then. They evidently thought enough of humans to make Louie Dragonmaster.

That's because he was a dragonfly, and those suckers are big!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

This is more about Ghaleon and Althena...

But it's amazing what you find when you read things carefully.

If you talk to Mia after the final battle, but before attempting to approach Dark Althena, she says something very like (I didn't exact quote it, but...)

Mia:I believe Ghaleon loved Althena...

Of course, that is just Mia, and Ghaleon's mind is hard to guess at...but at least it isn't mere player speculation...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

G1 really was very thorough in that screenshot collection.

He loved Althena, I'm convinced of it...and he was jealous of the Dragonmaster.

However, her next line is "His heart was wounded, and his beliefs were shaken, when they chose to become human." The following line is that that must have been when he decided to become a god. Ghaleon's dying words are also about the goddess being in power again.

So I don't think the love she means is at all romantic. His heart was wounded when they chose to become human, and the rest is about his need for a god. I still think that his jealousy of the Dragonmaster (not Dyne) was of the closeness the dragonmaster had to Althena. Ghaleon had been a priest, and had surely felt something for the goddess he worshipped, but in that sense a dragonmaster would outrank him, as Althena's direct servant. (An interesting point to consider is who did she communicate with directly...just the dragonmaster? The priests and priestesses? Just the highest priest?)