Finally got a copy of this!!

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Master Of Puppets
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Finally got a copy of this!!

Post by Master Of Puppets »

YES! I finally got a hold of this off of Ebay!

My question is, are there any major differences between This one and the original version on sega CD?

I also found the original Sega CD players guide, which I believe is rare.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Unlike TSS and SSSC, there aren't many drastic differences between the two versions of this game. There's an expanded Crest System, the Magic Experience Points have been axed, there's several more bonus dungeons in the Epilogue, and several story elements have been tweaked here and there (we get some more details on how the ruination of the Blue Star went down, the Phantom Sentry is gone entirely, the Fortress of Althena makes an appearance, etc). Beyond all that, it's more or less the same game with flashier graphics and fewer oddball pop culture references.

Master Of Puppets
Lyton Singer

oh cool, well i just literally about 5 minutes ago checked my mail box, and there it was! it comes with so much! big instruction manual, making of disc, soundtrack, and then another little package with a map, a necklace, and some cards. I'm sure some of you know what all that is for, I don't. i can't wait to start it, the only other lunar i've played is SSSC.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The dungeon designs have almost all been changed to varying degrees. Not to mention that there are more sidequests in this one (mostly in the epilogue), and bromides to collect.

Storyline-wise, there are likewise pretty few changes. Although there's one major scene that was in the original that was omitted from the remakes. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Master Of Puppets wrote:it comes with so much! big instruction manual, making of disc, soundtrack, and then another little package with a map, a necklace, and some cards. I'm sure some of you know what all that is for, I don't.
Actually, I'm with you on that. The "Making Of" documentary was pretty cool (even if it's more about the localization of the game than its actual creation), and the map is nifty enough, but I never listened to the soundtrack or did anything with the pendant or character standees. I totally get that some people want these things, but I'm not a collector and I wish WD had released a non-deluxe edition of the game for people like me who only really wanted the game itself.
Kizyr wrote:Although there's one major scene that was in the original that was omitted from the remakes. KF
I presume you're talking about the Hiro-in-a-Crystal incident?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

ilovemyguitar wrote: but I'm not a collector and I wish WD had released a non-deluxe edition of the game for people like me who only really wanted the game itself.
You mean like the special Fan Art Edition? Still mad I couldn't get that, and madder yet that no Lunar 2 Special Edition, and even madder than mad that no PC edition, and even more madder than madder than mad that there is no PSP version, and even more madder than madder than madder than mad that there is no Lunar 3, and still even more madder than madder than madder....

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Although there's one major scene that was in the original that was omitted from the remakes. KF
Yeah, that's the one. Considering how vital a scene it was, I still wonder why it was axed from production.

Anyway, incidentally, I'm playing through EBC right now (English version). After I get through the Saturn version again, I'd like to take another look at that 'making of' CD and see if they, eh... 'overlooked' anything. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:
Yeah, that's the one. Considering how vital a scene it was, I still wonder why it was axed from production.

Anyway, incidentally, I'm playing through EBC right now (English version). After I get through the Saturn version again, I'd like to take another look at that 'making of' CD and see if they, eh... 'overlooked' anything. KF
Yeah, I thought it was funky thing to cut out, because it was such a defining moment for Lucia's character (and to a lesser extent Ronfar), but I guess I can understand why people might think, "Aw, I gotta go all the way back to the Blue Spire again?" and not what to do it. I guess if you didn't know the scene was supposed to be there and you wouldn't miss it so much.

Which reminds me, I was reading the recap from the Lunar panel at Otakon, and this scene was one of the things that apparently was discussed. Something about the target of the crystalization spell being different between the Japanese and American versions. What's the whole story there?

Master Of Puppets
Lyton Singer

Well cool, I'm just glad I got all that collectible stuff in perfect condition, it was all still packaged.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Which reminds me, I was reading the recap from the Lunar panel at Otakon, and this scene was one of the things that apparently was discussed. Something about the target of the crystalization spell being different between the Japanese and American versions. What's the whole story there?
Ah, yes. In the Japanese version, Ghaleon targets Lucia herself for the crystallization spell--Hiro gets in the way and blocks the shot. In the English version, this part was changed somewhat to where Ghaleon says that he'll remove the "source of Lucia's confusion" and takes out Hiro.

The thing is, only that part was changed. So, afterwards, everyone else in the party talks about Hiro sacrificing herself for Lucia. That makes more sense given what the dialogue was in the original Japanese version. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:Ah, yes. In the Japanese version, Ghaleon targets Lucia herself for the crystallization spell--Hiro gets in the way and blocks the shot. In the English version, this part was changed somewhat to where Ghaleon says that he'll remove the "source of Lucia's confusion" and takes out Hiro.

The thing is, only that part was changed. So, afterwards, everyone else in the party talks about Hiro sacrificing herself for Lucia. That makes more sense given what the dialogue was in the original Japanese version. KF
Hiro sacrificing herself? No wonder Lucia was confused.

So you're saying the English dialogue matches the Japanese event of Hiro throwing himself in front of Lucia? Strange, I thought I remembered him doing that in the US game too. It seems kind of redundant for Ghaleon to say that he'll remove Hiro to "help" Lucia when that's pretty much what Zophar does at the end of his stupid long scene that prompts Lucia to defend the group and make herself vulnerable to him.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:Which reminds me, I was reading the recap from the Lunar panel at Otakon, and this scene was one of the things that apparently was discussed. Something about the target of the crystalization spell being different between the Japanese and American versions. What's the whole story there?
Ah, yes. In the Japanese version, Ghaleon targets Lucia herself for the crystallization spell--Hiro gets in the way and blocks the shot. In the English version, this part was changed somewhat to where Ghaleon says that he'll remove the "source of Lucia's confusion" and takes out Hiro.

I see. That does change things a bit. It almost makes me wonder if Ghaleon wasn't acting against Zophar's wishes there, making a last-ditch effort to stop Lucia from getting to the top of the Goddess Tower and freaking out over Althena's death. Or maybe he was planning on telling the party to go to the Blue Spire to heal Lucia, had she been the one frozen in the crystal. Or perhaps he had planned on Hiro stepping in from the get-go. I guess we'll never really know for sure, unless it was stated in the Japanese dialogue.

The other thing that was mentioned in the write-up was that you discussed that Jean's backstory was different in the Japanese EB. How so?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Hiro sacrificing herself? No wonder Lucia was confused.
*rimshot*
Alunissage wrote:So you're saying the English dialogue matches the Japanese event of Hiro throwing himself in front of Lucia? Strange, I thought I remembered him doing that in the US game too.
Well there's some inconsistency there. Here's the bit in the English version:
ImageImage

Anyway, that line wasn't present in the Japanese version. He just went on about targeting Lucia, then Hiro jumps in the way. However, the rest of the English version is consistent with that original idea of Hiro sacrificing himself to save Lucia:
ImageImage
The other thing that was mentioned in the write-up was that you discussed that Jean's backstory was different in the Japanese EB. How so?
That's another story... Basically, the Japanese version had the caravan already knowing about Jean being trained as an assassin (instead of it just being a rumor), Jean already talked about the "Masked Man" while she was at the caravan, and the caravan already knew about that (instead of it first coming up in Meribia), and, Jean only joined the caravan one year ago.

Also, in the English version, she's insistent that she doesn't use karate until the change in Horam. In the Japanese version, she does use karate, the only difference is that she uses it to help people instead of harming them (the "my dance moves worked pretty well in combat" line wasn't in the Japanese version, e.g.). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:That's another story... Basically, the Japanese version had the caravan already knowing about Jean being trained as an assassin (instead of it just being a rumor), Jean already talked about the "Masked Man" while she was at the caravan, and the caravan already knew about that (instead of it first coming up in Meribia), and, Jean only joined the caravan one year ago.
You know, I think I like that WD altered that. I really enjoyed the revelation in Meribia that Jean had a shady past as a trained killer, and I was bugged in EBC when it was revealed so much earlier in the game.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:You know, I think I like that WD altered that. I really enjoyed the revelation in Meribia that Jean had a shady past as a trained killer, and I was bugged in EBC when it was revealed so much earlier in the game.
Oh don't get me wrong. On balance, I think most of the changes that WD did were pretty good. Besides Jean's backstory being a lot more interesting, I thought her distinction between using dance-based attacks and Blue Dragon Karate was a lot better than how it was in the Japanese script.

Also, there were other minor things. Such as how no one in Meribia gave you the name of Nall until you finally saw him for yourself at Taben's Peak (this was "changed" in the remake, but changed in the sense that they did a more strict translation of the same Japanese dialogue). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't know that I'd read "Wave bye-bye to your little boyfriend, dear" as Ghaleon aiming for Hiro. He tells Lucia that he's starting his impurity abatement program with her, and then tells her to make her farewells, because she won't be around any longer. They'd be separated regardless of which of them was bumped off, so there isn't inconsistency there. I think you're interpreting it as him going for Hiro because you know that Hiro is the one who ultimately takes the attack, but Hiro knows it's aimed for Lucia; that's why he jumps in front of her.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Alunissage on that. If Ghaleon had led off with the "wave bye-bye" line, it would be different, but since he first identifies Lucia as the target of his attack. At least, that's how I recall interpreting it when I was actually playing it.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DezoPenguin wrote:Yeah, I'd have to agree with Alunissage on that. If Ghaleon had led off with the "wave bye-bye" line, it would be different, but since he first identifies Lucia as the target of his attack. At least, that's how I recall interpreting it when I was actually playing it.
Hm... You're right. I'll have to re-evaluate that sometime. ... ... ... when I'm not so tired. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)