Let's give Kizyr some props guys. Translating is rough!

For talking about LunarNET, the site. Requests, suggestions, complaints, praises, etc. are for this board.
AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Let's give Kizyr some props guys. Translating is rough!

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I've only been a member here for one day, but I've been visiting the boards for quite some time. One thing I've noticed for a long time is that Kizyr does a CRAPLOAD of work. Translating seems like a pain in the butt and he does A LOT of it. Thanks to him I should be able to play that copy of Magical School Lunar that bought recently (assuming I can get a Japanese Saturn or a good emulator). Anyway, I just wanted to start this thread, so we can all give him the props he deserves. Thanks Kizyr!
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: Let's give Kizyr some props guys. Translating is rough!

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I see your plan. Currying the favor of the mods to improve your standing on the L-Net.

Well-played, my good man. Well-played.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr is immune to people sucking up to him. It's like using a fire spell on a fire monster. Incidentally, I hear that fire is Kiyzr's one weakness.

Really though, I think we all appreciate the work that Kizyr has done. However, it is nice to let him know.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I see your plan. Currying the favor of the mods to improve your standing on the L-Net.

Nah ilovemyguitar, that's not what I'm doing. I just have a lot of respect for what Kizyr does. My girlfriend is a Spainish major in college right now and wants to be a courtroom translator when she graduates. I think the stuff she's able to do is amazing. I can't even imagine what it's like to THINK in multiple languages, so being able to speak, write, type, or program in multiple languages blows my mind. Props to ANYONE that can do this stuff!
Last edited by AlexHiro4 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:Kizyr is immune to people sucking up to him. It's like using a fire spell on a fire monster. Incidentally, I hear that fire is Kiyzr's one weakness.
FOOLS! HOW DARE YOU REVEAL MY ONE WEA--

Never mind! Forget I said anything.

So, yeah, thanks. I don't really do this for the compliments (I mean, it's not like there's a lot of people who read the Lunar novel summaries, for instance), but just so I can make more stuff available to other folks. But, thanks all the same.
AlexHiro4 wrote:Nah ilovemyguitar, that's not what I'm doing. I just have a lot of respect for what Kizyr does. My girlfriend is a Spainish major in college right now and wants to be a courtroom translator when she graduates. I think the stuff she's able to do is amazing. I can't even imagine what it's like to THINK in multiple languages, so being able to speak, write, type, or program in multiple languages blows my mind. Props to ANYONE that can do this stuff!
Languages just involves stepping back to a more basic level of communication, and learning how to express your thoughts differently. A lot of aspects do take time and practice, but there's no reason to get discouraged. I mean, any of the major languages will have tens or hundreds of millions of people who already speak it, so it's never impossible.

I actually don't like translating... When I read something like the Lunar novels, I just read it and interpret the events and everything in my head. When I have to put those events and dialogue back into English, that's where translating comes in. And, it's a different skill. With Spanish-to-English it's easier, since both are closely related; but with languages that don't have a lot of clearly equivalent expressions, it gets tougher. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Fire is the weakness hmmm? I must remember this! MUA HAHAHAHAHA!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

oooooo :shock: fire purity colors :shock:

but still good job on translating I was never good at it I hade 4 years of Latin and 2 in French I sucked

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

AlexHiro4 wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:I see your plan. Currying the favor of the mods to improve your standing on the L-Net.

Nah ilovemyguitar, that's not what I'm doing. I just have a lot of respect for what Kizyr does. My girlfriend is a Spainish major in college right now and wants to be a courtroom translator when she graduates. I think the stuff she's able to do is amazing. I can't even imagine what it's like to THINK in multiple languages, so being able to speak, write, type, or program in multiple languages blows my mind. Props to ANYONE that can do this stuff!
Yeah, I can understand Spanish, French and English (duh), and it hurts my head when my friends spontaneously change language.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Shaolina
Burg Farmer

Post by Shaolina »

AlexHiro4 wrote:

She wants to be a translator too? In my case I want to translate stories. I'm puertorican so I already know spanish and english but I'm also learning french.