About Wolfgang Landgraf's RPG site...

For talking about LunarNET, the site. Requests, suggestions, complaints, praises, etc. are for this board.
GrünIgel
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

About Wolfgang Landgraf's RPG site...

Post by GrünIgel »

... which was hosted under http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com.

That site was still accessible until recently, but now the URL redirects to the LunarNET main page.

Hope it wasn't deleted or something, as it had plenty of valuable resources?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: About Wolfgang Landgraf's RPG site...

Post by Sonic# »

It actually was backed up and deleted to clear more server space. G1, Alun, or Kizyr can explain more, but generally it was costing a lot of money to host it, and we haven't heard from Wolfgang in 12 years. It wasn't a pleasant decision by any means.

Much of the data can be had through the Internet Wayback Machine (ex: http://web.archive.org/web/201305310204 ... index.html ). Images like maps and sprites cannot, but they may be available elsewhere.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

What a shame, I loved that site, I remember the first time i came across it, it was a magical moment.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ It really was. I was a big user of his Phantasy Star site first. Then Lunar. Then Dragon Quest VIII. Other sites sometimes have great information, but his was the best at making an accessible walkthrough website.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GrünIgel
Saith Pirate

Post by GrünIgel »

Alas, sad news indeed :/ I appreciate how those old sites were able to go through the years untouched...

At least it is not inexorably lost.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Basically what Sonic# said. It's unfortunate but that's how things are sometimes.

...I was very fond of the Shining Force resources on there myself. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I basically got a warning that I had to cut the amount of files on my hosting. Wolfgang's site took up a LOT of space and number of files, and I wasn't going to remove any of my own sites to make way. I tried reaching out to Wolfgang, but his Email address is dead. I backed up his site though, in case he ever reaches out to get it back online.
-G1

Taiyaki
Meribian Merchant

Post by Taiyaki »

I have Wolfgang Landgraf's new email address. He would like to let everyone know he's alive and would like to get in touch with GhaleonOne to possibly work out how to get his site back.

To Ghaleon and other admins:

rpg-wolf@gmx.de

He's also on Facebook (in which he lists his website in the info section).

I think it would be nice to Wolfgang if visitors could be greeted by an explanation of the situation so that people don't delete his page from their bookmarks prematurely. There's a treasure trove of information that's lost with his site gone. I hope his site finds it's way back online soon. :)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

G1, why would a host tell you to cut your files back? Do they not have a limited plan to begin with?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

phyco126 wrote:G1, why would a host tell you to cut your files back? Do they not have a limited plan to begin with?
Pretty much all webhostings will advertise unlimited or large volumes of diskspace and bandwidth, the one thing I never see them advertise unless you look through the fine print is INODES. Which happens to be the number of individual files, which includes everything from system files, log files, error files, email files, etc... Things that grow that nobody ever plans for.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I see. I was curious if it was like some 'unlimited' places that compares usage with the average, so unlimited is more closely limited space comparable to average use, if that makes sense.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

nadiaff
Burg Farmer

Post by nadiaff »

I might be able to help out with this, but I'll need some statistics. How many gigs are we talking about?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Hey Nadia! Welcome back! :)

I'll have to check over the weekend when I'm home from work. I'd like to say no more than 5 gigs. Probably less. But no guarantees.
-G1

lazyhelix
Meryod Yokel

Post by lazyhelix »

Hey, thought I would offer some additional information on the availability of these guides. There was recently a thread over at Shining Force Central, discussing these guides. One of the guys there happened to have backed up a lot of the guides on Wolfgang's original site, and offered them up in CHM format so people could use them.

Having not seen the thread here, I decided I was in a position to help archive these guides. I have set up http://wolfgangarchive.com/ as a listing and archive of the guides we currently have available. As far as we understand, all of his guides are now hosted there, apart from an unlisted Crystal Warriors site.

I have also attempted to contact Wolfgang via the listed email addresses, as well as via Facebook, to try and establish his interest in maintaining a site. However, I have not received a response.

I am happy to continue to host the content, as I have no issues with bandwidth or space (work for a hosting company). If this is the way forward, it would be great to get a copy of the original content GhaleonOne. The decompiled CHMs are not the best base for the content.

If someone more visible in the community wants to take on hosting, I am happy to step down in this endevour. I can probably also offer up the domain if it is helpful in this instance.

If anyone has any ability to contact Wolfgang, it would be great to establish his thoughts on the matter. I currently have the domain registered for 1 year, but if I can gain confidence that there is a need for me to continue hosting this I will renew the domain up to 10 years to ensure some continuity.

Apologies for the long, slightly rambling first post.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That would be great actually. I have heard from Wolfgang and we agreed if I could find someone to host it, I'd be happy to upload the entire set of his sites and then redirect the original subdomain (http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com) to the new location. If you're up for hosting it, I think he'd be very happy to know they're back up. I'll send you a PM to work out details.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

That *is* good news! We were having some trouble finding someone/somewhere that could host the entire site.

Are you able to do the entire site, or just certain guides/parts of it? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

And thanks to lazyhelix above, the Wolfgang Landgraf RPG sites are back up at the new location of http://www.wolfgangarchive.com
-G1

Taiyaki
Meribian Merchant

Post by Taiyaki »

Glad to hear it found a new home. Thank you lazyhelix! :)

Will the old address be redirecting to the new site?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Already got it redirected!
-G1

Taiyaki
Meribian Merchant

Post by Taiyaki »

The site went down again a few days ago. Did Lazyhelix have to take it down?