Favorite Ghaleon

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Anordin
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Favorite Ghaleon

Post by Anordin »

Inspired by some recent threads, I'd thought I'd ask this: Which version of Ghaleon do you prefer/like/admire etc...etc and why? Forgive my lack of SegaCD knowledge but I'll try to be as general as possible.

1. The "He's One of the Four Heroes" Ghaleon.
2. The "He's Pretending to still be a Hero while persuing his own agenda" Ghaleon.
3. The "Magic Emperor/Villian" Ghaleon.
4. The "Dragonmaster seeking Redemption" Ghaleon.

Feel free to add whatever comments you wish to make.
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.
-Mencius, Bk V, Chap V, Legge Translation

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

That's all the same Ghaleon. So...all of the above?
-Rich-

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I think he meant 'which part of his life do you like best.'

In which case, I'll go with the last and noble version.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Confessing Memories (teenaged) Ghaleon.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'd probably go with EB Ghaleon. It's one of the main reasons I loved EB so much.
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Well, if I run with the manga like Alunissage, then Confessions of the Soul Ghaleon (probably twenty-something if he was human). Otherwise the EB/EBC Ghaleon since that, to me, showed what he was really made of.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If we're using the Sega CD versions, Magic Emporer Ghaleon. If we're talking remakes, EB Ghaleon.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I like casual dress barbie! Uh, I mean Ghaleon! You know, the Ghaleon that Luna meets by the pool?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

The Ghaleon that created the fairy garden, whichever one that is :D

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

... That happened more than once. ^^;;;

As for my choice, I don't know. I would say Four Heroes Ghaleon, but I know so little about him. So... I'm left to say the Dragonmaster Seeking Redemption, because he has a sword!!!!!!!11 And because he was most intriguing as that.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

Dragonmaster-seeking-redemption

:)

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

I'm tempted to say the "He's Pretending to still be a Hero while persuing his own agenda" Ghaleon, but that's because he's using deception to carry out his plans, which is clearly permissible. Not that his ends were good, but the fact that can use deception to achieve them. (I wrote a wonderful essay on that topic for my Greek Mythology class.) But that's also the power-hungry tyrant in me who will rule the world speaking as well...

Ghaleon as Dragonmaster was kinda scary when I think about it. But while his actions did redeem him, I'm inclined to believe that it was still a selfish action as opposed to noble. Afterall if Zophar had won, he'd be a henchman and that wouldnt' be acceptable under any circumstance. (I wouldn't accept being a mere grunt after trying to conquer the world and would spend my time trying to off the head guy.) And if Hiro won, well he'd be remembered for doing the right thing. Its clearly an egotisical position that doesn't necessarily show him as actually reformed. But that's just my take on it.
Heaven does not speak. It simply showed its will by his personal conduct and his conduct of affairs.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hehe, that's different. I wonder what people's reactions here will be to that.

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Definitely number 4, especially in the original EB. The FMV after he's defeated demonstrated that his days as the Magic Emperor were over. And finally, he could put his tainted past behind him and rest. It was my favorite scene in EB.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:Hehe, that's different. I wonder what people's reactions here will be to that.

How about this? There's a lot of room for interpretation on Ghaleon. It's difficult to definitively say what Ghaleon's motivation is in EB, except when he accounts for himself at the end. And as Anordin suggests, things might've only turned out like they did because Ghaleon lost.

There's one line from Ghaleon's last scene that stands out to me: "This reprieve from death was not an accident - Zophar granted it - and now that I have betrayed his purpose, his power will be withdrawn." Based on this line, I think Ghaleon knew that helping Lucia and Hiro would result in his death, and he went ahead and did it anyway.

And as per the topic, I like the late-20's-looking Ghaleon who appears in the Vane Airship Stories manga. He's pretty. :P
「まあいいけど。」

Anordin
Pao Hunter

Post by Anordin »

I'm inclined to put forth the idea that Ghaleon, having suffered death once, wouldn't mind going back to the hereafter. Afterall, wouldn't meeting death a second time be less traumatic and less scary? That doesn't necessarily mean he's 'reformed' and seen the errors of his ways...just that he knows his fate in life and in death. He only betted on Hiro because he couldn't take on Zophar himself; he's still using people to do his 'dirty work.' We only infer that Ghaleon was redeemed by fading into the light. So has he really changed? I don't know. The question of good and evil are simplistic in video games, so we know that Ghaleon made the 'right' choice by backing our group of heroes.

But what do I know? I'm just doing this for the mental exercise.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Vane Airship Stories Ghaleon for me. Before that I probably wouldn't have been able to say. It's really hard to choose a category. ^^;

Maybe I will attempt to post something "deeper" later when I have time :P

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

Im sorry but Im going to have to say... Magic Emperor Ghaleon! He was by far my favorite form of Ghaleon... one of the sweetest looking and coolest bad guys in RPG history and tottaly craps on Sephiroth and FF7 fanboys cuz hes so much sweeter.

I did like how Ghaleon redeems himself in Eternal Blue but another part of me didnt like it.

I think it may of been cooler if he would of transformed into the Magic Emperor and you would have had a final fight with him than went on to fight Zophar.

In the original Eternal Blue for Sega CD... doesnt he transform into the Magic Emperor and get really big or something? I could of swore I saw a screenshot of that somewhere. Can someone fill me in..

but ya Magic Emperor Ghaleon by far..

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Lunar6000 wrote:In the original Eternal Blue for Sega CD... doesnt he transform into the Magic Emperor and get really big or something? I could of swore I saw a screenshot of that somewhere. Can someone fill me in...

Nope, he never transforms into the Magic Emperor in EB/Sega CD. The only time you see him as the Magic Emperor is during the Vane's destruction flashback at the Mystic Ruins.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

Alright thanks for clearing that up but yea... Magic Emperor is the best.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"