Why not Greatest Hits status?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Why not Greatest Hits status?

Post by localflick »

I always wondered why the Lunar games weren't re-released as Greatest Hits titles. It would've made the series more accessible, expanded the fan base, and made money in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean the whole cloth map, soundtrack, hardcover manual setups, but something like the re-release of Lunar1 with a softcover manual with just the game. If it had that ugly green band around it, a lame plain cd label and a $20 price tag it would've been a Greatest Hits title. When it comes down to it, they're all just discs which can be mass produced. In terms of materials, if Legend of Dragoon can be four discs in a case with a full color manual, why can't Lunar do the same and have the soundtrack and making of discs included? Arc the Lad Collection without the Making of Disc is four discs with a fat booklet (which would need some editing to work). Even God of War II comes with a "making of" DVD in the Greatest Hits package at no extra cost.

If it was a Greatest Hits there would be more copies in circulation so if people who discovered Lunar when Lunar Legend or Dragon Song came out and wanted to try the psx versions they wouldn't have to pay $40 on ebay to do so. When I discovered Final Fantasy Tactics it was $50 used and new copies weren't in stock anywhere. I liked the game but also worked at a pizza place and didn't have $50 for a game. When they re-released it as a Greatest Hits title I gladly picked it up.

The only downside I can think of, and I think the only reason ever given regarding the issue was that it doesn't deserve to be in the bargain bin. Which is silly because I've seen the re-issue of Lunar1 at Sam's Club in a bin with Legend of Legaia and other games all priced at $20 which is the only reason my friend has a copy.

All in all I think it would've exposed more people to the series and been very good for everyone, but what do I know? I'm sure there was a better reason than pride I just wish I knew what that was.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Why not Greatest Hits status?

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I'm pretty sure that has to do with selling a certain amount. Lunar is amazing but it didn't get the recognition that it really should have.

Matt&Ruby4ever
Student of Vane

Post by Matt&Ruby4ever »

yeah, for me it is the greatest game i ever play.
and i really love it.
lunar series will always be in my heart forever and ever for eternal
heheheh sorry got to excited when talking about lunar series :oops: :oops: :oops:
Do you remember the time we share together......

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Matt&Ruby4ever wrote:yeah, for me it is the greatest game i ever play.
and i really love it.
lunar series will always be in my heart forever and ever for eternal
heheheh sorry got to excited when talking about lunar series :oops: :oops: :oops:

No need to apologize, it should excite you, this game triggers some damn emotional thing with me. I can't remember one instance in which I didn't cry when Ghaleon died in EBC. I even wear my Lucia's Pendant on a regular basis.

On topic, I believe the original sales requirement for Playstation games to go Greatest Hits was 150,000 and then was bumped up to 250,000 and the game had to be on the market for at least a year. Anyone know how many copies of the Lunar games were sold?
I - am that is

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I was under the impression that the number of copies Working Designs released was less than what was required so if they sold every copy they wouldn't achieve Greatest Hits status.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

It would have been nice if Lunar was Greatest Hits. Then more of my friends could play it that can't since its so expensive. All of my friends know about Lunar because of me...they just can't play it because I refuse to lend out my more valuable games.

Yeah, I don't think very many copies of the Lunar games were released, so greatest hits would be impossible. :(

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

localflick wrote:I was under the impression that the number of copies Working Designs released was less than what was required so if they sold every copy they wouldn't achieve Greatest Hits status.
As far as I remember, that was the case. Lunar 1 sold like 250k I think with Lunar 2 hitting like 160k or something. MagicBox used to have the numbers, but I don't think they do anymore. I don't remember the magical number that gets you Greatest Hits status though.
-G1

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

160k sounds about right to me for a "Greatest Hit".
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

SSSC did hit about the 250K mark. However, that's not related, as far as I know, to it not being released as GH. WD deliberately ceased production and sales of the game at the end of December 1999 (which I suppose means only 6 months?), for exactly the reasons mentioned -- not wanting it to become a cheap bargain-bin game with an ugly green stripe on it. At least, that's what the site said. WD's site was only the third website I ever visited, and the message "Say Farewell to LUNAR" was the first thing I saw on it. I also remember seeing the ad about it in, I think, EGM:
http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/adv ... ar-ad3.jpg

The small print is pretty hard to read; one of us will have to re-scan it and/or type up the text someday.

nectarsis
Burg Farmer

Post by nectarsis »

IIRC you need sales of 500,000, or 1,000, 000, and be for sale for a certain amount of time (9months?) to be a greatest hit.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:WD deliberately ceased production and sales of the game at the end of December 2009
Really? =P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wow, did I really type that? I meant 1999, of course. :P

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

nectarsis wrote:IIRC you need sales of 500,000, or 1,000, 000, and be for sale for a certain amount of time (9months?) to be a greatest hit.
"To qualify as a PlayStation 2 “Greatest Hit,” a title must have been on the market for one year with 400,000 copies produced, proving to be a force in driving software sales and the demand for the hardware that supports it. PlayStation “Greatest Hits” game sales must be in excess of 250,000 units during the life of the product."

That's according to this press release.

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/127
I - am that is

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

yeah thats right, i remember reading about WD stopping Production because they wanted the game to be something special and not something that could be found all over the place in bargin bins in walmart and such. I can't remember where i read it but it was mentioned in some interview with Victor Ireland

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Yes, well. *puts on Selfish hat* at least /I/ have the games. And I'm rather glad I do.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Bloodrose
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Bloodrose »

I'm terribly sorry for the sarcastic remark that's about to come out of my mouth but, "SERIOUSLY?!" Lunar doesn't need Greatest Hits status. We all know it's one of the best games ever made, its publishers are out of business and couldn't reproduce the label if they wanted to (in the US anyway), and ewwwww those ugly green labels would deface the lovely cover art the series' fans adore.

That's just my take on it anyway. I know it would make the game easier to obtain and cheaper for those who can't afford the high price tags, but honestly I don't think Lunar should ever be subject to such a cruel fate. A classic should remain a classic rather than used as a cheap marketing strategy and left to hang once its lost its hype.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. it would go against everything Working Designs stood for. They strived to bring their fans the best and re-releasing the titles in Greatest Hits format would only serve to prove that they weren't any different from Square Enix or any other money hungry corporation bent on destroying the value of RPGs and replacing it with meaningless drivel and pretty graphics.

Ashley

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Bloodrose wrote:I
I guess what I'm trying to say is.. it would go against everything Working Designs stood for. They strived to bring their fans the best and re-releasing the titles in Greatest Hits format would only serve to prove that they weren't any different from Square Enix or any other money hungry corporation bent on destroying the value of RPGs and replacing it with meaningless drivel and pretty graphics.
I hate to say this but... maybe that's why Working Designs went out of business if that's what they stood for. I would see almost nothing wrong with it coming out as a greatest hits title. I mean the green stripe complaint is purely aesthetic. I would rather people play Lunar with the green stripe on the packaging than not play it all. And really, is it better to be obsessed with the aesthetics of packaging than to be obsessed with the graphics of a game. I can see not wanting the game to fill up bargain bins though (which I believe has already been mentioned). I doubt that Lunar could have sold through a second printing, and it would be sad to see copies of it everywhere (AND probably costly to Working Designs).

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

"Its just, in time of war we would have never left a man behind..."
"Maybe thats why we lost."

Werefrog, you reminded me of that quote there. Cudos to anyone who can tell me were it came from! XD

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

phyco126 wrote:"Its just, in time of war we would have never left a man behind..."
"Maybe thats why we lost."

Werefrog, you reminded me of that quote there. Cudos to anyone who can tell me were it came from! XD

^^Ah yes, good ol' Serenity :)
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Bloodrose
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Bloodrose »

Well.. the green striping was just me venting on a personal note lol. But yea, everyone else basically covered what I meant already.

Working Designs wasn't a company that had ever been known for selling out. I can't think of any of their games that was ever released as a greatest hit title simply because that wasn't their deal.

That Greatest Hits label is for a company that cares more about sales than about their product or their fans. In the music industry, they would've been called sell-outs I suppose.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great if everyone owned a copy of Lunar, but what I am saying is that unfortunately accessibility sometimes diminishes respect and awe.

Look at Legend of Dragoon. I mean, it's probably my third favorite rpg (I haven't played ANY of the final fantasy games all the way through EXCEPT Crisis Core simply because I'm tired of hearing OMG Final Fantasy is the best. Figured I'd save them for the last Playstation RPGs I really want to play since I know they'll be easy to find, but pricey.) and everyone overlooks it because it isn't rare, it isn't expensive, and the graphics are pretty last season. But it's a great game with a lot of classic elements that most developers don't take the time to utilize.

Lunar just wasn't meant to be re-released because it wouldn't be appreciated. Think of how many copies it sold even at the original high price tags. It just goes to show you how much love and loyalty it inspired.

If you honestly think any company deserves to fail because they're unwilling to tarnish its reputation, then wow you'd fit right in with the gaming industry. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to ensure that your name isn't forgotten and that what you create is set aside from the norm.

Wow.. this makes me sound like some sappy teenager writing a column for my high school newspaper... alright I'm so done lol. I think I've gotten my point across and probably annoyed my fair share of users here by doing it (I'm sorry for my pointless rants).
Ashley