Lunar TSS, PC

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar TSS, PC

Post by jay_are »

Wonder what Lunar TSS would have looked like if it was ported to PC, but the Sega Saturn version hadn't existed yet?

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar TSS, PC

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

This looks awesome! Love the sprites, how did you make this?

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Thank you! =D
How did I make it?
Short answer: dot by dot!

Long answer: I wanted to pretend to remake TSS in HD, not today's HD, but a Sega CD kind of HD.
I used mainly this as a reference:

I used exactly that same color palette.
If I had the time, I'd remake the whole game :lol: big overworld and movies included. Would love to give TSS movies more length and detail!

S.ninja
Red Dragon Priest

Post by S.ninja »

nice job. it must have taken forever

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

It looks so beautiful! T^T <3
You did a lovely job on it.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

Oh, I love it. *stars in eyes* After getting to play LUNAR The Silver Star, I fell in love with everyone's original sprite palette. The first one to confuse me was Jessica's though. I was like why is she completely yellow or whatever. Anyway... I'm glad you drew that 'cause it looks so cool. Chibi-ize version, please! I can't draw a straight line with a ruler but I can sure use Paint. The program. Hehe.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

TempestOne wrote:The first one to confuse me was Jessica's though. I was like why is she completely yellow or whatever.
Because that's Luna, not Jessica.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Alunissage wrote:
TempestOne wrote:The first one to confuse me was Jessica's though. I was like why is she completely yellow or whatever.
Because that's Luna, not Jessica.
No no, wait, I think he really means Jessica, cause I too have serious problems with her palette.

1. Her sprite has her hood off, showing her hair, unlike her face portrait.
2. That line on her hair is that jewelry thing she's wearing under her hood that can be seen in her short intro "video".
3. But the hair doesn't even represent her actual hair that well either. It almost looks like she has bangs.
4. Her skin is really dark, like Kyle's skin. She's supposed to be a little tanned, but not that dark! She looks like Althena burnt her!
5. Her outfit in her sprite is really as lame as it could possibly be, too. It looks like a robe completely emerald or aqua. When it's supposed to be white with a cool design.

Unless he really meant Luna!
brit wrote:It looks so beautiful! T^T <3
You did a lovely job on it.
Thank you so much! =D =D =D
TempestOne wrote:I'm glad you drew that 'cause it looks so cool. Chibi-ize version, please!
Lol, really? Chibi designs are a joke. It just takes away any seriousness, and the opportunity to give details.
B-b-but the original looks chibi in comparison! Do you want it more chibi than that?

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

Jessica de Alkirk from Meribia. I remember when I first played it recently I was like "Uh, who just joined... that's Jessica?!" Her color palette for her sprite seemed to do the metallic hue thing where it'd look like rainbow crystal. I thought it was a joke from Working Designs or a glitch. I like her original 'fit over the more traditional-looking one in the remake. It made it seem like to me that she got tired of tradition and older ways of life which is so normal.

You must chibi-draw. I love when I see manga artists drawing it in the corner as their almost-signature style. You see it as "lame?" That's so shocking. Because if I could draw, I'd wanna be able to draw anything and make it work. When my friends and I were drawing comics, they'd leave me to do the border lines and make up the conversations. They hated talking out dialogue but I just did it for them. LOL

When I think of American-style chibi I think of like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

TempestOne wrote:Her color palette for her sprite seemed to do the metallic hue thing where it'd look like rainbow crystal.
Can you do me a big favor and take a picture of it?
Are you sure it doesn't look like the pic I just posted? Cause there's nothing rainbow about it...
Unless, depending on your TV, the video signal from the system might become weird.
TempestOne wrote:You must chibi-draw. I love when I see manga artists drawing it in the corner as their almost-signature style. You see it as "lame?"
That's not what I said!
I love drawing chibi, but only at the right time! When it's a funny scene for example.
A battle scene with chibi characters would make it look like there's no real battle going on and that it's just kids playing pretend!

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

Um, I dunno how to take a picture of something on my T.V. I barely know how to set up a router. Her sprite? I am referring to her battle sprite like the image of her walking around on the map, even, not her introduction picture/biography picture, hehe. I dunno, when I set up my SEGA-CD it worked and I just started playing.

Oh, you see chibi as them being younger? I always thought it helped artists draw even better like proportion-control. I don't necessarily mean draw the entire scene in chibi-format complete with baby trees turned into sproutlings in the background but I mean a funny-looking pic of Alex on the bottom-right corner looking like Mr. Black from Dragonball. Or, just a chibi-pic of yourself. Like your artists' signature or stamp but do whatever you want! I'm just gawking like I'm at an art gallery or museum. 8-)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

TempestOne wrote: I dunno how to take a picture of something on my T.V.
A digital camera, or a smartphone. And then transfer to the PC.
TempestOne wrote:Her sprite? I am referring to her battle sprite like the image of her walking around on the map
They are the same, that's what her sprite is.
Do you see it in my comparison pic?
I put her sprite next to the face picture. To compare the outfit side by side.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

Uh... it looks whacked when you do that.

I looked the thread up and down and when I mean sprite, I mean her actual icon moving around, like sometimes you'd see them on resource sites as .gifs. I do not see it on this tablet but I was planning on going on desktop to fix some music files, anyway... I'm just relaxing and lounging around because I just ate. LOL

Please make some more drawings/artwork. I've seen LUNAR art around and yours takes the cake. I like the really newbie-ish ones 'cause it's better than any chickenscratch I can color in, too, but... yours is cool when you do stuff from the original and get the color palette and hues right. I've tried drawing before free-hand but whenever I do it, it always ends up looking like a carbon copy of the one I was trying to get ideas from and I do not like it at all.

Are you a professional? If I could make a suggestion, I suggest doing more, hehe. 8-)

Oh, I see it now. I thought it was funny-looking like "Why does Jessica have a doll of herself as an accessory?" Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Her hair color makes her look all yellow to me.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

TempestOne wrote:I looked the thread up and down and...
Lol!!!! You know, it's probably invisible to you, it's probably just my mistake.
I DID include her sprite in that picture. You do see the picture of Jessica, right?
You see at the bottom center of that picture, you see that blue... cloth thing around her waist?
If you look at it closely, Jessica's sprite is blended in there :P
I did not notice how blended it is until now.

But if you absolutely haven't been able to find it yet, here it is:
TempestOne wrote:Please make some more drawings/artwork. I've seen LUNAR art around and yours takes the cake.
That is quite the huge compliment! :shock: :lol:
I do lots of things, I just don't show it online publicly.
But, I did a Lunar 2 GBA mock-up for april fools a few years ago, if you haven't seen it.
http://lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4679
TempestOne wrote:Are you a professional?
Nope. I just like doing things when I have free time, which I dont have as much as I wish sadly ...
But thanks for thinking so! I will post here if I ever make more!
TempestOne wrote:Oh, I see it now. I thought it was funny-looking like "Why does Jessica have a doll of herself as an accessory?"
Looooooooooooooooool!
I'm gonna leave my previous picture for anyone else that happens to get lost looking for it.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I thought that was something else entirely.

When I got my SEGA-CD, I think I hooked it up wrong like I put a wire in the wrong place. But, it worked! So, I rolled with it. It was so much fun living through something I've been looking forward to doing for so long. I got that videogame when I was, honestly, like four years old online when they had that VGTrades.com website and gamers can trade game-for-game. I had been looking for it for the longest time but I've never heard of it and I don't think the area I live in did either. When I saw the opportunity come up for the videogame, I took it, and the other gamer got a really good game from my personal collection so I hope they're happy. (Final Fantasy III - SNES) I didn't have a SEGA-CD at the time so we'd drive to another state to see if the videogame stores there had anything... but, I think I posted something here about a weird transaction so I had to settle for listening to the game on my CD player. It was really difficult to find then so I'm proud I got it while it was still hot. Some of the "rare" stuff nowadays is kind of (expletive) up like they had trouble keeping the temperature, uh, right to prevent cracks. Well, whatever, it was a while ago.

That mock-up is pretty cool. Your style is funny and humorous. You should definitely do more drawings and artwork. Make a portfolio for us to see with black and white sketches! LOL

Man, if there was an easier way to play the SEGA-CD versions on a console I'd be so gung-ho about it coming to fruition. The SEGA-CD is cool and all but I just didn't get my fill of SEGA stuff. 8-)