old lunars on DS

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Well, in terms of games, yeah, it COULD be worthless. I guess it all depends on the person and what games they like (AKA, if they like and buy the current games out for it.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Inu
Burg Farmer

Post by Inu »

Okay, first off lets try NOT start another damn platform war okay? =p

I have nothing against Nintendo and Iv always been a fan. There are areas where no one can compare with them and I know Nintendo does alot of work to bring games here but I can name more than a few instances that they do something half assed or just fail badly in north america but not Japan..but anyway..Xbox is the devil, not Nintendo! heh jp

Actually, I'm perfectly fine with no voice-overs, and animation is okay but not what makes the series for me.

I agree, Lunar Legend was a perfectly fine and good game and Iv probably actually played it more times than SSSC just because of it being a handheld game. I wouldn't expect cut scenes or voice overs out of a GBA game but unlike you..and probably most of you, EBC was the first Lunar game I ever played and not to mention EBC and SSSC were two of the first and more important games for me. Im not making the argument that cut scenes and voice overs make or break a game..EB and SSS are amazing even without them but they are even better with them.

I just think that the psp would be better suited to bring SSSC and EBC to handheld without having to make many changes if any or cut somthing out such as voice overs or cut scenes...and maybe bringing the sprites up to par with Legend x3 By the way..im kind of a newb here so dont ream me too much over this ._.;

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I doubt there would have been a platform war, so no need to worry about that. I would love to see EBC and SSSC put on PSP. Actually, I think it would be neat if they decided to port TSS and EB over the the PSP, as well as EBC, SSSC, L:MS and L:WS :) Then combine it into a nice little package :) I would so buy that, even if it costs $400 :)

Inu
Burg Farmer

Post by Inu »

XD yeah if that all fits on one umd

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Roas Atrades wrote:Since the N64, Nintendo has relied too much on internal game development when it comes to their consoles (not handheld).

I wouldn't say that's entirely a bad thing when Nintendo is also the largest publisher in the world behind EA and Activision (if I have my numbers right). If either of those two companies released a game system would they be criticized for relying too heavily on their own development teams? The amazing part is that Nintendo does this without releasing multi-platform titles.

Nintendo might not have the vast third party support, but even as a software publisher it's a force to be reckoned with.

Nintendo is relying too heavily on name recognition and a handful of tired, reused characters.

Like Pikmin and Animal Crossing, both of which were born on the GC? Like the popular Nintendogs on the DS? Nintendo does love its franchises, but it's not the only thing they do.

The only thing I will say about the Revolution is that its specs are not impressing me much....least of it's whacked controller and that twinky wand idea they are talking about. No thanks :P

Clearly a few of you still have faith in Nintendo....I simply do not for long run purposes.

I used to not like Nintendo, being a Sega fangirl, but the longer I've been in the industry the more I respect them. A lot of people like talking about innovation and making a better game or a better game system. Nintendo actually will take a chance and do that. Sure, they risk falling on their faces, but when it works who had the guts to try it? Kirby Canvas Curse is pretty darn cool, but you won't see it on anything other than the DS because you need (really need--this is no tacked on mechanic!) the touch screen to play it.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Okay, first off lets try NOT start another damn platform war okay? =p

We're not twelve year olds, dude :) Most of us have been at this long enough to have a civilized discussion on the topic. We got out console flames out of our systems during the 90's.

I wouldn't say that's entirely a bad thing when Nintendo is also the largest publisher in the world behind EA and Activision (if I have my numbers right). If either of those two companies released a game system would they be criticized for relying too heavily on their own development teams? The amazing part is that Nintendo does this without releasing multi-platform titles.

Well, you've got a good insider's perspective to give you a broader view, I guess. As a pure consumer, who admitedly has a pretty static point of view on videogames, ever since N64 Nintendo is some kind of recluse who doesn't open his doors to the general public to get any sort of outside advice or help. This recluse just goes along doing the same thing. Granted, some people are fine with it, but there are still a good deal of people who are unhappy because they feel their needs are not being met over and over again.

Powerful or not, I just don't feel Nintendo has a realisitc game plan.

Like Pikmin and Animal Crossing, both of which were born on the GC? Like the popular Nintendogs on the DS? Nintendo does love its franchises, but it's not the only thing they do.

Okay, this stuff has initial success, but are they anything more than fad games? You may see numbers I don't, but from just a normal point of view, knowing regular gamers and watching things move along, these things are nothing but fads that have passed and will pass.

I messed around with a Ninten-dogs in a Best Buy for about ten minutes. The cuteness factor lasted even less than that. Honestly, that is just the latest digital pet, and we all know how quickly those got old.

Again, yes, I still feel burned by Nintendo for the choices it made with N64 and beyond. I am still not convinced Nintendo has my best interests as a gamer in mind. They are more worried about appealing to younger crowds with the better amount of their resources. In the end, the dribs and drabs they occasionaly give their original customers just is not enough to justify good gaming and sound decision making.

I don't hate Nintendo, as I said I will still buy their gear cheap, I just don't trust them with high stakes investments.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Pikmin has had a sequel. Animal Crossing is coming to DS. I would not call either of them faddish. I think Nintendo intends to build them up as franchises for the long term. With Nintendogs it's too early to tell if we'll see new incarnations of it, but I know too many gamers who still play with their Nintendogs to dismiss it as a silly virtual pet that has no value past the first ten minutes. It just might not be for you. I know it's not for me. I don't play Madden 200X either, but those football games sell like hotcakes and it would be silly to consider them inconsequential.

I have my doubts on whether or not Nintendo can survive as a console manufacturer on quirky games and its well-known franchises, but because they are willing to take a risk, I think their potential payoff is greater. And if they don't, and they become a third-party publisher like Sega, I imagine they would still be in good shape, because of the strength of their brands and their development teams.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Rune Lai wrote:Pikmin has had a sequel. Animal Crossing is coming to DS. I would not call either of them faddish. I think Nintendo intends to build them up as franchises for the long term. With Nintendogs it's too early to tell if we'll see new incarnations of it, but I know too many gamers who still play with their Nintendogs to dismiss it as a silly virtual pet that has no value past the first ten minutes. It just might not be for you. I know it's not for me. I don't play Madden 200X either, but those football games sell like hotcakes and it would be silly to consider them inconsequential.

I have my doubts on whether or not Nintendo can survive as a console manufacturer on quirky games and its well-known franchises, but because they are willing to take a risk, I think their potential payoff is greater. And if they don't, and they become a third-party publisher like Sega, I imagine they would still be in good shape, because of the strength of their brands and their development teams.

But it still comes down to the trust issue. They can gamble all they want (foolishly IMHO), but I will honestly say that the majority of gamers who were the primary players of NES and SNES simply do not trust Nintendo. Many of us want them to harken back to their traditional themes that made us love them, not the querky games as you term them.

And are Pikmen and Animal Crossing really gigantic blockbuster games? I'm not saying they have to be a Madden game, but these are more nitch games than anything else. Maybe that is a better term than fad, but I still do not see these as wildly sucessful games that save a company or system.

Zelda OoT saved the N64 back in '98, and it is widely considered the best Zelda game (personally, my heart still belongs to Link to the Past :) ). That gave Nintendo new life which was the primary wave that helped them survive to this very day. None of these other series are honestly of console saving calibur, and therefore they do not give the legion of doubters any hope that Nintendo will give them the olden ways that they yearn for.

Zelda: Twilight Princess will no doubt be excellent, a harken to the good times, but it will be the final cry of the Cube as it is swallowed by the next wave of consoles, including the Revolution.

Frankly, Nintendo should just become a game publisher, as one of my best friends constantly says. He is even more morbid about Nintendo and what they've done over the past few years, and he has a Cube (mooched it off his brother). He feels even more betrayed than I in many ways.

Even tonight we were talking about this subject (we tend to come back to this topic every couple of weeks), and he brought up an idea that Nintendo could have tried to capitalize on. You see, he is interested in some of the games that were and are available on a Gameboty. However, he vhemently hates playing handheld games because he dislikes small screens, controls, and other things involved with portable gaming.

For him, a step Nintendo could have made to winning his favor in terms of making a console viable was to make some form of adapter for a GBA to his Cube, like there was for the SNES. Now, he has no engineering knowledge, so this was a wish list idea for him.

But, I bring this up just to present another burned person who I can show. There is no hatred at all towards Nintendo. We can keep going around saying what numbers are for this and that, and what may be nitch or big time, but in the end it all comes down to one thing.

Trust.

Many of us do not trust Nintendo, plain and simple. And with their current track record and proposed plans, they are no closer to bringing their original army of fans back into the fold. Unfortunately, I share the prediction that Nintendo will eventually collapse and become a Third Pary distributer.

My personal track record of industry predictions has been pretty much accurate til now. So, I will continue to believe what my gut is telling me until proven soundly wrong.

Only time will tell from this point on.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

And are Pikmen and Animal Crossing really gigantic blockbuster games? I'm not saying they have to be a Madden game, but these are more nitch games than anything else. Maybe that is a better term than fad, but I still do not see these as wildly sucessful games that save a company or system.

Actually, Pikmin and Animal Crossing were far more successful than a niche title. Animal Crossing was a meer 125,000 copies from hitting platinum status. ie. Almost a million copies. Pikmin pushed almost 650,000 copies. They're definately more than niche titles, and likely the reason Nintendo seems intent to build a brand around them.

As for trust. I trust Nintendo a hell of a lot more based on one issue: hardware reliability. They're not perfect, but at least they didn't have a plethora of fans who paid 300 bucks being told "your loss" after purchasing a PS2 at launch. Nintendo is about the only company I don't have complaints towards from launch systems. Had Sony done something to remedy this, I wouldn't have a lack of trust. But when I spend 300 bucks at launch to support a system I think will be worth the purchase, only to have the thing crap out on me shortly after the 3-month warranty is up... damn that. Sony is the one I don't trust. And that is a problem that Sony finally settled out of court with just recently. They're finally taking in these useless model PS2's that crapped out and fixing them. Only after I traded the broken thing in for 30 bucks towards another purchase. Again, that's a lack of trust to me.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Roas Atrades wrote:For him, a step Nintendo could have made to winning his favor in terms of making a console viable was to make some form of adapter for a GBA to his Cube, like there was for the SNES. Now, he has no engineering knowledge, so this was a wish list idea for him.

Neither of you heard of the Game Boy Player? And before that there were adapters to plug your GBA into your TV. Granted, you had to remove the backplate and screw in a new one with A/V cables or something like that, but it was definitely possible.

I don't really know where you're coming from with regards to trusting Nintendo to be the way it was when you were younger and playing on the NES/SNES, because I didn't really get into gaming until after then. But are you sure the change is more in them than in yourself?

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Alunissage wrote:Neither of you heard of the Game Boy Player? And before that there were adapters to plug your GBA into your TV. Granted, you had to remove the backplate and screw in a new one with A/V cables or something like that, but it was definitely possible.

I don't really know where you're coming from with regards to trusting Nintendo to be the way it was when you were younger and playing on the NES/SNES, because I didn't really get into gaming until after then. But are you sure the change is more in them than in yourself?

Well, handhelds are not my deal, so I wouldn't have really put the time or effort. My friend is a research monkey, so he might have barely missed reading about it.

As for the past, nope, I'm pretty much the same as I was back then. RPGs first, everything else second. Don't care what they are on, as long as I can play them eventually. The day the N64 came out with a lackluster amount of genuine RPGs, with no future titles coming our way either, was the day we began to split ways.

Actually, Pikmin and Animal Crossing were far more successful than a niche title. Animal Crossing was a meer 125,000 copies from hitting platinum status. ie. Almost a million copies. Pikmin pushed almost 650,000 copies. They're definately more than niche titles, and likely the reason Nintendo seems intent to build a brand around them.

As for trust. I trust Nintendo a hell of a lot more based on one issue: hardware reliability. They're not perfect, but at least they didn't have a plethora of fans who paid 300 bucks being told "your loss" after purchasing a PS2 at launch. Nintendo is about the only company I don't have complaints towards from launch systems. Had Sony done something to remedy this, I wouldn't have a lack of trust. But when I spend 300 bucks at launch to support a system I think will be worth the purchase, only to have the thing crap out on me shortly after the 3-month warranty is up... damn that. Sony is the one I don't trust. And that is a problem that Sony finally settled out of court with just recently. They're finally taking in these useless model PS2's that crapped out and fixing them. Only after I traded the broken thing in for 30 bucks towards another purchase. Again, that's a lack of trust to me.

Like I said, numbers are subjective at this point in the conversation. The way Rune put it, these are querky games that may not really appeal to the better part of gamers in the long run. IMHO, querky does not save you in the end.

As for your trust issues with Sony, I can't really relate to you on that one. I was one of the lucky ones who's launch system was fine. Only after a year of ownage did it produce a bug, and it was not for games but for DVD's. It would -Dragon Diamond- itself down on particular DVDs...so I went o a Toys R Us....and basically got them to give me a replacement unit for free :)

The replacement unit only got messed up because physically damaged it like an idiot while tinkering with it. So my 3rd PS2 was a used one, and it works just as well as the others did. If anything gives me a headache, it's my Xbox....but I expect nothing less from Microsoft :P

But, again, I'm not talking about hardware. I'm talking about games. People quoted hardware specs about the PS1 and Saturn for years, yet I eventually stayed with my PS1 instead of my Saturn because the PS1 had better overall selection of games for me. Saturn games I wanted (not counting imports cuz I don't do that) were too few and extremely far between.

Hardware can be fixed. Poor games cannot. It's all about the games for me, man. In the long run, I want what will be the best option for long term flow of titles that I will enjoy. In this day of used consoles, I can eventually get the systems I did not endorse in early stages, but again I'm buying them when they are cheap and the risk is low in terms of console cost and game cost, since games I may want have probably had price reductions.

Nintendo, for the past 10 years, has not shown me they have my best interests in mind when it comes to making games. So...they will not be getting my business over Sony and Microsoft.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Rosas: To a large degree your complaints are based solely on the fact that realistic looking RPGs that are found in abudence on Sony's platform aren't on the Game Cube (and weren't found on the N64 due to the cartridge format). In that sense the problem isn't with Nintendo but with third party developers migrating over to Sony's platform over the years. Nintendo is innovating and continues to build their success around their lineup of franchises and characters in addition to as mentioned before with games like Pikman and Animal Crossing, introducing new ones. Nintendo's core franchises continue to be fantastic quality titles over and over that keeps fans of those games coming back for more. However, if you were a fan of the SNES and NES almost solely on RPG titles made by Square and other third parties then the current Nintendo platforms just aren't for you because you're a fan of one genre of games rather than a whole bunch. In this sense you are a niche customer rather than Nintendo appealing strictly to a niche.

As far your comments regarding a lack of innovation, innovations in hardware are related to innovations in software. The company is continuing to introduce new gameplay ideas and uses changes in hardware to facilitate them. In the past 10 years Nintendo was the first to introduce Analog sticks, Force Feedback, the touch screen and now the first system wireless online play. These innovations made new types of gaming experiences possible as others have mentioned. The hardware is directly related to the software.

The games Nintendo produces today are in fact widely regarded as some of the best in the industry your quote "hardware can be fixed, poor games cannot" really doesn't have much of an effect on Nintendo. Just because games don't appeal to you personally doesn't mean they are poor in quality, especially when a large majority of industry insiders, critics and experts viehemtly disagrees with you.

Also your assumptions about the Nintendo Revolution not supporting online play are quite incorrect, Nintendo plans to slowly roll out some online titles for the system to test the waters with the wireless capable Revolution. However at the same time Nintendo isn't going to rely on online play to move their system as heavily as Microsoft and Sony likely will as online console gaming as of this point has not been financialy successful for anyone in the industry, Xbox live continues to hemmorage cash, the Sega Dreamcast's Seganet didn't do so well and only a small handful of PS2 games allow free online play.

Nintendo is continuing to develop their place in the industry not to compete directly with Sony (which is what Microsofts plan is) but to steak out their own fortunes with their own unique products. They don't want ports of big titles, they want exclusive titles and that's what Nintendo is pursuing. If it doesn't appeal to you great, but the problem isn't that Nintendo has abandoned its fan base, it's that those who like you dislike the current Nintendo weren't really fans of Nintendo's product to begin with, but rather product produced by third parties. If you're almost only interested in RPGs, then you are the one looking for a niche.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

As for the past, nope, I'm pretty much the same as I was back then. RPGs first, everything else second. Don't care what they are on, as long as I can play them eventually. The day the N64 came out with a lackluster amount of genuine RPGs, with no future titles coming our way either, was the day we began to split ways.

Nietzche says that no one changes but ourselves.

I think that's crap. But anyway, is part of your problem with Nintendo the "kiddy" image it has (failry or unfairly)? If so, then I would suggest that growing up might turn you off to some games, naturally.

The next generation of consoles will involve everyone owning a PS3 OR a 360, AND a revolution.

The first two for the traditional gaming experience, and the Rev for the new experience.
?
Vaporized before my eyes

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

DragonmasterDan wrote:Rosas: To a large degree your complaints are based solely on the fact that realistic looking RPGs that are found in abudence on Sony's platform aren't on the Game Cube (and weren't found on the N64 due to the cartridge format). In that sense the problem isn't with Nintendo but with third party developers migrating over to Sony's platform over the years. Nintendo is innovating and continues to build their success around their lineup of franchises and characters in addition to as mentioned before with games like Pikman and Animal Crossing, introducing new ones. Nintendo's core franchises continue to be fantastic quality titles over and over that keeps fans of those games coming back for more. However, if you were a fan of the SNES and NES almost solely on RPG titles made by Square and other third parties then the current Nintendo platforms just aren't for you because you're a fan of one genre of games rather than a whole bunch. In this sense you are a niche customer rather than Nintendo appealing strictly to a niche.

As far your comments regarding a lack of innovation, innovations in hardware are related to innovations in software. The company is continuing to introduce new gameplay ideas and uses changes in hardware to facilitate them. In the past 10 years Nintendo was the first to introduce Analog sticks, Force Feedback, the touch screen and now the first system wireless online play. These innovations made new types of gaming experiences possible as others have mentioned. The hardware is directly related to the software.

The games Nintendo produces today are in fact widely regarded as some of the best in the industry your quote "hardware can be fixed, poor games cannot" really doesn't have much of an effect on Nintendo. Just because games don't appeal to you personally doesn't mean they are poor in quality, especially when a large majority of industry insiders, critics and experts viehemtly disagrees with you.

Also your assumptions about the Nintendo Revolution not supporting online play are quite incorrect, Nintendo plans to slowly roll out some online titles for the system to test the waters with the wireless capable Revolution. However at the same time Nintendo isn't going to rely on online play to move their system as heavily as Microsoft and Sony likely will as online console gaming as of this point has not been financialy successful for anyone in the industry, Xbox live continues to hemmorage cash, the Sega Dreamcast's Seganet didn't do so well and only a small handful of PS2 games allow free online play.

Nintendo is continuing to develop their place in the industry not to compete directly with Sony (which is what Microsofts plan is) but to steak out their own fortunes with their own unique products. They don't want ports of big titles, they want exclusive titles and that's what Nintendo is pursuing. If it doesn't appeal to you great, but the problem isn't that Nintendo has abandoned its fan base, it's that those who like you dislike the current Nintendo weren't really fans of Nintendo's product to begin with, but rather product produced by third parties. If you're almost only interested in RPGs, then you are the one looking for a niche.

First, the name is Roas....why do people keep mispelling this? I mean...it's right there on the sidebar.

Clearly, you just read the little interview Gameinformer has with Miyamoto, which is basically just rhetoric. Honestly, that Q&A they have with him is all fluff with little meat.

Okay, that was a fairly large response, so let's take it a piece at a time:

1- First off, I never say I am solely interested in "realistic RPGs" whatever that is. Yes, RPG is my favorite genre, but it is not the only genre I play. It may be the only genre I spend money on, but I rent a wide variety of games, so for you to make a generalizing statement about my gaming tastes without knowing my is a little uncalled for. I've owned and played all genres of games my entire life. I am not some sheltered little gamer who only plays his single genre and is a hater of all other things.

So, I don't appreciate shot at my gaming character like that. If you actually knew me, you'd take that back. Don't take cheap shots at me, dude.

2- Comments on Innovation: re-read what I said....I'm not talking about innovation in terms of hardware. I am talking about games. Nintendo can twiddle out and take claim for all the hardware they want, but what matters in the end are games. Remember the Power Glove? It was a pretty sweet hardware idea, but Nintendo barfed it up because they did not support it at all with games.

So if you wanna say hardware is directly related to software, fine, but remember this. Everyone here will attest to the fact that all the Sega Consoles were superior pieces of hardware to what Sony put out. But what happened to these superior pieces of equipment? They failed because Sega did not import over a wide enough variety of games to truly make them successful. Both Saturn and Dreamcast had a great content of games, but we barely saw 1/10 of the total libraries here in America, and that was a major reason for failure.

So, yeah, go ahead and say the two are symbiotic, but I'd take a step back and remove try to take a non-fanboy perspective here. I am. I continue to say I DO NOT HATE NINTENDO! I simply don't think they know what the hell they are doing anymore to survive in the current gaming climate. Again, don't presume to get into my head and say what is appealing to me and what is not. I am simply stating the facts as I see them and many other decades long gamers such as myself do.

3- Online play. Fine. I was wrong. I'm big enough to admit that. An original spec I saw and interview I read said that Revolution was not going to be online capable. So I missed a new report. Spank me and call me, auntie, so big deal.

Personally, I think Microsoft are -Albino Baboon- with how they treat online gameplay, but with the exception of FF XI...PS2 online gameplay is pretty much free, at least it has been in all my experiences.

4- Competition. ....if you did read that little interview, then the final lines in that are being said by a man who realizes he is in trouble. To say, and I quote:

"We don't really look at it as a competition between ourselvs and the other manufacturers. The more that we can get the media to point out that we're not competing with them and that they're not competing with us, then that leaves us with no competitors, and then we're number one!"

...that has to be the biggest crock I have ever read. This IS a competition. It's call Global Capitalism, and Nintendo was the leader of this race for almost a good 20 years. To go out and say something like this is either insane, or a man trying to rationalise that his company is behind the 8-ball against the two other giants of the current industry. It all comes down to the competition to earn money, and people will spend the money on the systems they feel more secure with.

Now, several of you have said that the reliability of the hardware is your security. Fine. That's your choice and your opinion. Others, like myself, want game security. I do not see game security in Nintendo.

So say what you want, but don't go after my mental state when it comes to gameing, and please don't try to convince me that with this absurd line of thinking that it is not a competition in the gaming industry.

Nietzche says that no one changes but ourselves.

I think that's crap. But anyway, is part of your problem with Nintendo the "kiddy" image it has (failry or unfairly)? If so, then I would suggest that growing up might turn you off to some games, naturally.

The next generation of consoles will involve everyone owning a PS3 OR a 360, AND a revolution.

As for you, dawrestla, I asked you once not to simply throw a one liner at me and run. Either debate me with some issues, or don't attack me.

And don't you dare throw your Philosophy 101 drivle at me like that and transform it into a cheap shot at me. I took that stuff when I was in college, and it was subjective then and it is subjective now. This is not the first time you have attacked my personality and personal views on things by calling them crap or saying that I am lying.

If anyone needs to grow up, it's you. My perspectives are perfectly rationalized from countless experiences with gaming and REAL life. So either talk to me civily, or don't talk to me at all.

I'm sorry to G1 and the mods for responding like that, but I am not going to sit back and be flamed like that. Sorry.

Yes, I feel like my back is against the wall, since in this case the majority participating in this debate are opposed to my pov, but I have been civil the entire time and responded with facts as I see them, and my own personal opnion without taking personal attacks on anyone, since I see a few of you as people I have been friendly with for a number of years now.

If I am going to be civil, then I expect to be treated in the same way, no matter what people's feelings on the matter are. We should all be capable of acting like adults, and have been up until now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:If anyone needs to grow up, it's you. My perspectives are perfectly rationalized from countless experiences with gaming and REAL life. So either talk to me civily, or don't talk to me at all.

I'm sorry to G1 and the mods for responding like that, but I am not going to sit back and be flamed like that. Sorry.

No need to apologize. So far the discussion / debate has been well within civility, even given a few pseudo-personal jabs. I won't intervene unless stuff starts getting out of hand, but so far most of it has been reasonable.

Though, I do get a kick out of someone obviously quite younger than you telling you to grow up. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You know what cracks me up more than that Kiz? When you play a mmorpg for a long time, and someone who just started calls you the newb/n00b. That cracks me up (makes me want to break their legs too :P)

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Roas (I got it right!) you need to calm down, and re-read what I was saying in my previous post when you're not on the defensive.

I said "Nietzche says that no one changes but ourselves"

and then I said "I think that's crap."

In other words, I think what Nietzche says is crap. You're right, it *is* subjective. I was trying to make a joke. I had a philosophy major friend of mine once bring that line out on me. It shut me up at the moment, and then I thought it over and realized how asinine a philosophy it was. So, I'm not throwing a one-liner at you and running, I was making a joke, because earlier you said that your gaming tastes hadn't changed. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way, but I'm not sorry I said it.

So, as far as I remember, I have yet to attack your personality or personal views. Feel free to prove me otherwise, though.

Also, I *was* trying to engage in debate when I asked you if you had a problem with Nintendo's alleged "kiddy" image. You never answered. If your answer is no, then fine. If your answer is yes, all I would have to say (and DID say) is that since you have grown older and probably matured, so would have your tastes. It makes sense.

I talked to you civily.

R. E. L. A. X.

Don't worry, I'll let you have the last word.

And don''t you dare throw your Philosophy 101

Now, having explained myself above, which I shouldn't/wouldn't have if you had read what I said when you weren't on a defensive, you clearly now know that I wasn't trying to use any "Philosophy 101" on you. Having said that, let's assume that I did dare to use some...what are you going to do, jump out at me from my screen and attack me? No, you wouldn't do anything. So, give me a break, and get over yourself while you're at it.
Vaporized before my eyes

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

DaWrestla wrote:Roas (I got it right!) you need to calm down, and re-read what I was saying in my previous post when you're not on the defensive.

I said "Nietzche says that no one changes but ourselves"

and then I said "I think that's crap."

In other words, I think what Nietzche says is crap. You're right, it *is* subjective. I was trying to make a joke. I had a philosophy major friend of mine once bring that line out on me. It shut me up at the moment, and then I thought it over and realized how asinine a philosophy it was. So, I'm not throwing a one-liner at you and running, I was making a joke, because earlier you said that your gaming tastes hadn't changed. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way, but I'm not sorry I said it.

So, as far as I remember, I have yet to attack your personality or personal views. Feel free to prove me otherwise, though.

Also, I *was* trying to engage in debate when I asked you if you had a problem with Nintendo's alleged "kiddy" image. You never answered. If your answer is no, then fine. If your answer is yes, all I would have to say (and DID say) is that since you have grown older and probably matured, so would have your tastes. It makes sense.

I talked to you civily.

R. E. L. A. X.

Don't worry, I'll let you have the last word.

And don''t you dare throw your Philosophy 101

Now, having explained myself above, which I shouldn't/wouldn't have if you had read what I said when you weren't on a defensive, you clearly now know that I wasn't trying to use any "Philosophy 101" on you. Having said that, let's assume that I did dare to use some...what are you going to do, jump out at me from my screen and attack me? No, you wouldn't do anything. So, give me a break, and get over yourself while you're at it.

It seems I owe you an apology on my end. The way you wrote it, it seemed like a jab at me.

So, I'm sorry. I take back my rebuke.

And no, I do not have a problem with kiddyesque games as long as they are not dumbed down the level of a 5 year old.

And back in the "Games are bad for kids/John Thompson" thread you made a couple comments on how you did not believe me about certain aspects of my life. To you that may not seem much, but to me it was as good as calling me a liar. But that is the past, and I'm willing to forget about it.

As for getting over myself, well, I'll let that slide because I was rude to you a post ago. Yeah, I can't get to you through your screen, but I keep myself in check a lot. I could get very mean and quite nasty to the level of banning quality. But I'm a nice guy, and I don't like being mean (except for that one time in college with that roomate...but he had to go....he snored and he left tighty whities all over the room) so I don't say the possibly hurtful things that pop into my little mind.

Again, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your statement. The way it was presented it seemed like an attack.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Now, several of you have said that the reliability of the hardware is your security. Fine. That's your choice and your opinion. Others, like myself, want game security. I do not see game security in Nintendo.

So say what you want, but don't go after my mental state when it comes to gameing, and please don't try to convince me that with this absurd line of thinking that it is not a competition in the gaming industry.

I hope you don't think I was personally attacking your viewpoint in there at all BTW. I know none of this was directed at me. I just wanted to make it clear, I was enjoying a good debate, nothing personal. ^_^ I still am happy with the Nintendo games I've gotten, and considering the cheaper launch price of the Cube compared the launches of the PS2 and Xbox, I felt less shafted, even if the top games were all coming from Nintendo. It's all a matter of opinion though. (except in the case of Spike TV's bogus awards :P)
-G1

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Roas:

Sweet, we're cool.

And you're right, my comment in the previous point did not seem like much to me. Sorry it was taken the way it was.
Now let's all sing and dance and rejoice.
Vaporized before my eyes