Lunar Entries on Wikipedia

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar Entries on Wikipedia

Post by Shiva Indis »

I looked at Wikipedia's articles on the Lunar games today, and they are bare-bones and frought with misinformation and adolescent writing. Now I'm working on a list of additions in order to improve the article that's the best place to start - Lunar: The Silver Star.

The world of Lunar - Legends of Althena, the Four Dragons and the genesis of Lunar; The fall of the Magic Empire and the rise of Vane; the banishment of the Vile Trible to the Frontier; Dyne and the Four Heroes; Dyne's 'death'.

Improvements to the existing character profiles - Corrections to grammar, logical flow (why not two seperate sections for Dyne and Laike?), and factuality (was Jess really called Jessica deAlkirk in TSS?); addition of voice actor information; katakana renderings of character names; sections for Althena and Quark.

Production - Packaging comaprison; changes/additions made by Working Designs (ending, sound engineering, perhaps the actors' recording process?); information about the various disk art.

Music - Mention of how the soundtrack was a collaboration led by Iwadare; names of singers; Information on the soundtrack CD.

Reception - Sales records; import reviews; number of releases/remakes inspired.

I've been doing small cleanup throughout the articles this evening, but before I do anything major I wanted to get some feedback over here.
「まあいいけど。」

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

I don't think Jess was "called" Jessica de Alkirk but her father is mentioned by his full name, so it's kinda implied.
Realy gotta admire you for all of the time you're spending to correct this autrocity that Wikipidia has done. I'll check it out before and after and see how much better it is.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There were a few name changes in the rare disc version and the general version of TSS. Hell Mel was one, I know (I never heard of "Deadly Mel" until I got online). Jessica Alkirk versus Jessica D'Alkirk might be another.

I'd have to go back and replay the originals for that... Which I've been meaning to do anyway. But Civ 4 is now out and once I buy that, I might spend my time doing nothing else. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Two others here have worked on the Wikipedia for Lunar if you're interested: Alunissage and DragonmasterDan. I think the problem they've had is that they keep correcting something and some fan comes in and changes it back to incorrect information.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That's the problem with wikipedia, you have people who try to imput correct information, then you have idiots who ruin it for fun or they think they're right when they really arn't.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'm sure it's preferable to work on something with less of a pop-culture angle, where there are fewer ill-informed people who are just certain they know all there is to know... :roll:

The reason I mention Jess is that in Japanese sources she is named Jessica Alkirk (both in TSS and SSS). Working Designs changed her name when they released SSS for certain, but I wonder if Working Designs delved into last names in TSS (besides the characters that gave their full names in-game).
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

She's Jessica Alkirk in her TSS introduction, no 'de'. It wasn't until I was looking for it after seeing it in the artbooks that I even noticed...it just doesn't make sense for her to not have the 'de'.

I did do some straightening up on a few of the pages, but didn't have much time and was too irritated to get back to it and it probably did get overwritten. I also decided that some of the detail was the sort of thing I'd rather have on the local encyclopedia I never have time to work on. :(

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote:That's the problem with wikipedia, you have people who try to imput correct information, then you have idiots who ruin it for fun or they think they're right when they really arn't.

To quote a friend of mine: "Do you know how tempting it is to replace the article about the invention of the Internet with a picture of Al Gore?".

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Werefrog wrote:To quote a friend of mine: "Do you know how tempting it is to replace the article about the invention of the Internet with a picture of Al Gore?".

That's totally wrong:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I know. And so does he. It was a joke.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

It still pisses me off.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I totally know how tempting it is. I've often felt the urge to do it, but my good side prevails (thankfully)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Scaryice, I really don't see why it's that big of a deal. What pisses you off exactly? My friend wanting to do that, the fact that I'm spreading "mis-information", or Gore losing the election in part of the bad press?

If it's the last one I feel for you. I'm still not over the loss. I really think the democrats were gyped(sp? Oh, and sorry if there are any gypsies offended by that). But it's time to move on. And I think joking about it is a good start.

phyco126 wrote:I totally know how tempting it is. I've often felt the urge to do it, but my good side prevails (thankfully)

I think we're all thankful for that. :wink: (I can never find the right emoticons on this site). As long as the good side keeps winning, we'll all be okay.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Werefrog wrote:Scaryice, I really don't see why it's that big of a deal. What pisses you off exactly? My friend wanting to do that, the fact that I'm spreading "mis-information", or Gore losing the election in part of the bad press?

If it's the last one I feel for you. I'm still not over the loss. I really think the democrats were gyped(sp? Oh, and sorry if there are any gypsies offended by that). But it's time to move on. And I think joking about it is a good start..

By "joking" about it, you only help spread something that isn't true. Even on a message board, it can help reinforce a person's (wrong) beliefs.

Yes, I'm still pissed about the election. Anything else you joke about, I'll be fine, but not that.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Okay. There we go. I didn't know that comment would make anyone mad. I only did it because I thought it was mildly amusing and germane to the conversation. I don't really regret saying it either.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, saying things you know to be false just to be funny really isn't that humorous. Misinformation = bad. I have no particular stand on this specific instance, but I don't get how people can find falsehood amusing.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Alunissage wrote:Well, saying things you know to be false just to be funny really isn't that humorous.

Have you never seen the Tonight Show? Late Show? Daily Show? Stand-up comedians? etc. etc.
-Rich-

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...all of you, it's best to just drop it now.

I'm gonna lock this topic if it gets heated. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)