One thing I have to mention about the official site by XSEED

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

One thing I have to mention about the official site by XSEED

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's nice to see them show people the history of Lunar under the "What is Lunar?" header, and not just focus simply on what they're releasing. Most companies will only focus on what they're trying to market, and not on what has come before it.

The company is trying to show fans of the series that they will do their best to make sure this is the Lunar we all remember and love, but in a new way that the series needs.

I also think Ghaleon's voice actor is going to fit him extremely well in both the 4 Heroes era, and in the time of Alex and company. He just fits, and you'll have to trust me on this. John Truitt was better suited for the TSS story, because that was an angry Ghaleon from the start over what happened with Dyne. Things changed in SSSC even if they kept common ties, the story changed enough to change the character in some respects.

After all, this is supposed to be a new experience for all of us. Don't ruin it for yourself with expectations of the past.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: One thing I have to mention about the official site by XSEED

Post by Monde Luna »

I was both shocked and pleased to see them post the history of Lunar on their site as well. I feel like that was a nice fan service to educate any of the new fans the series might receive. And it makes me feel like they will do a good job to keep Lunars integrity in tact unlike @)($W%) DS.....

I too like the voice they cast for Ghaleon. Hopefully we will all go into this with an open mind w/o expecting to much of a carbon copy of SSS. =o)

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I agree completely. I've been opened minded from the start, and while I loved Truitt, I think Ghaleon's new voice is fitting as well. In all honesty, I'm not that hard to please. XD

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Yeah, I've been especially intrigued by the use of the word "rebirth" rather than remake, update, or anything like that. Seems to suggest that they're really hoping to move on from Silver Star.
† Final Night †

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

It seems our beloved series is in good hands. I just hope others see it that way. My biggest concern is the critics. I hope they see it as a "rebirth" and don't compare it to harshly to the WD versions.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think one thing that will work in XSEED's favor is that if the series gets another remake, AND a sequel, they can continue to do the localization to become a new respected fan-based company. People want XSEED to be Working Designs, but they aren't. As a longtime fan it should be harder to please people like me than someone who is part of the new audience.

Lunar NEEDS a new audience, and the game needs to be as refreshed as possible to please both old and new. It seems like so many people just want it to be SSSC all over again with the minor addition of the prologue. I'm sorry, but I want to discover Lunar again in a way that is different from the past. I think it's necessary to wipe the slate clean, and look at this release as your first time experiencing the series. It's Lunar, and I can assure you things are not even close to being as bad as people expect. ( No Dragon Song here)

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

You make me jealous with all the "longtime fan" talk. I wish I had gotten into RPG's at a younger age. Not much I can do about t now though. :mrgreen:

I agree with everything you said....the series does need a newer audience. I feel that Legend and DS were steps in the wrong direction and may have soured peoples opinions on the series. However, looking at the top PSP sales on Amazon and hearing from the fans here on Lunarnet leaves me optimistic

And perhaps someday I'll actually get around to playing TSS. I've read about several of the differences and I want to experience them firsthand. I see Amazon has some used copies for reasonable prices. I haven't checked on Sega CD prices yet.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I'm really excited about SSH the more I think about it, especially with the idea of "rebirth." I may be the only one in this boat, but I was mostly dissatisfied with the retelling of Lunar 1 from TSS to SSSC, not that I didn't enjoy the game immensely...because I did and the cutscenes were gorgeous. But, comparing it with the Eternal Blue remake, it just didn't measure up. I don't know, I'm excited to see this retelling of the story once more...especially concerning the Four Heroes. I just didn't really get into the SSSC retelling of the Four Heroes, I was much more attracted to the idea of the insane Black Dragon and all that drama. I have high hopes that this game won't be Legend all over again with better graphics, etc and that I'll come to appreciate the story changes more so than I did with SSSC.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You can always get the game, and just use a solid emulator for your computer whitedragon_nall. You can also check on youtube for Let's Plays on it, but the people playing it may annoy you with their overly hyper ranting or subdued boring voice. If you have no experience with TSS, you'll be amazed at how completely different the music is. The graphics were poor, but for the time they were pretty much standard rpg fare. Eternal Blue on Sega CD was a beautiful game and has more detail and attention than even the remake.

MiaOne, there were much bigger differences between the stories of TSS and SSSC compared to what I consider important omissions that didn't appear in the Eternal Blue remake. The remakes were also overly cartoony looking to me in some respects.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:You can always get the game, and just use a solid emulator for your computer whitedragon_nall. You can also check on youtube for Let's Plays on it, but the people playing it may annoy you with their overly hyper ranting or subdued boring voice.
... ... ...this makes me sad. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

What, the emulator or the fact that some of the people who provided the Let's Plays for TSS can make your ears bleed? If he can't get a Sega CD there is no other choice to play Lunar:The Silver Star.

Some of the people doing the Let's Plays are using emulation software. If you did a Let's Play for TSS I never saw it. I saw your SSH demo one, and thought it was fine. Don't you love me anymore? :cry:

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

I've tried watching Let's Plays for it....didn't last too long. The player talking kind of annoyed me. I've researched the game enough so I have a general idea of what I'd be getting into.

Emulation has crossed my mind, but I'll look into getting a SCD first. If I can't....then at least i have another option.

With SSH on the horizon, I've been thinking about playing TSS and EB(Scd) a lot lately. It's my favorite series...perhaps it's time to experience all it has to offer.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

You should definitely get the Sega CD versions, whitedragon_nall. They hold a special charm that the remakes don't, and this is coming from someone who played the remakes first. Playing on an emulator works well. I would highly recommend GENS.
Kizyr wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:You can always get the game, and just use a solid emulator for your computer whitedragon_nall. You can also check on youtube for Let's Plays on it, but the people playing it may annoy you with their overly hyper ranting or subdued boring voice.
... ... ...this makes me sad. KF
Unfortunately, the Sega CD systems cost a good chunk of money to buy. The best games usually go for $30-$50 a piece on top of that, so it's really hard to actually get a hold of the games and system. Some people can only watch the videos. :(

I've wanted to get a Sega CD myself, but they are WAAAAAAY to expensive for an old game system. So, all of my Sega CD games I've bought are being played on my computer via GENS emulator. It actually works really well considering there are no load times if you rip your games from your disk to play it on GENS. I do that and it works wonderfully. You can still play it from the disk perfectly fine with no problems, but I prefer to rip mine first for the best load times. It still makes me want a Sega CD system though.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

I already have GENS downloaded so I'll probably pick them up on Amazon or Ebay in the near future. I just picked up No More Heroes 2 for the Wii...so it won't be this week. Thanks for all the advice everyone! :mrgreen:

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:What, the emulator or the fact that some of the people who provided the Let's Plays for TSS can make your ears bleed? If he can't get a Sega CD there is no other choice to play Lunar:The Silver Star.

Some of the people doing the Let's Plays are using emulation software. If you did a Let's Play for TSS I never saw it. I saw your SSH demo one, and thought it was fine.
Aww, thanks {^^}.

No I just didn't know if that was aimed at me or not. For me, the purpose of a Let's Play is the same purpose as director's commentary on a movie. I watch it because I want to hear commentary (I mean, ProtonJonSA's play of Super Kaizo World was defined by his commentary). If it's just a straight video of the game, I don't see a point it labelling it a "Let's Play". (That being said, what determines whether or not I'll watch a Let's Play is the person actually doing the commentary.)

I haven't done a LP of TSS yet. I have to figure out the best way to record from computer/TV first. But before that, there're a few other, more obscure, games that I want to do. Basically something like:
- Magical School Lunar
- Popful Mail [Sega CD version]
- Vay [Japanese version]
- Albert Odyssey [Saturn]
- Lunar: TSS
- Lunar: EB (maybe)

I might do another quick one of SSH from the English demo. But since that's already widely available, it's not that high on my list of priorities. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Do a Let's Play of Magical School Lunar for the Saturn, because you love me. Some people have done live broadcasts of playing through games like Albert Odyssey. It is more imperative to be vocal when playing a Japanese game, so the viewer understands what is going on. I find that some people are overly talkative during Let's Plays so it takes away from the enjoyment of what you're watching (the game itself). It also depends on the game.

People need to stick to the game itself, and not discuss their friend farting or what's on tv and start singing. Yeah, it could be funny but usually it's not. I can understand your appreciation for the narration, but it has to be done the right way. If there is some amazing music going on in the game you don't want it drowned out by babbling.

Also, for anyone looking for a Sega CD you need to remember there is a model for the generation 1 style Genesis and one for the series 2 Genesis. The series 2 Sega CD is more reliable than the first model, but both of them can have issues.

The series 2 model is a side-slotting addition, and the first model Sega CD is a bottom-slotted where the Genesis sits directly on top of it. Technically the series 2 Genesis also sits on top of the series 2 Sega CD, but the cd drive is next to the system instead of below it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Re XSeed's site, I was amused at how deftly they avoided mentioning who published the other NA releases. :lol:

Kiz, re your SSH vid, you comment on the Albino Baboon's special attack. It's a bit clearer later in the game that that type of monster's attack is digging up a rock from the ground and throwing it.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Re XSeed's site, I was amused at how deftly they avoided mentioning who published the other NA releases.

Actually, you shouldn't be surprised at all. Rarely if ever does a company give credit to previous companies work when they are releasing a newer product even in the same line. Their site is not some game based fanzine, or game news reporting agency. XSEED is focusing on the series itself, not who published it in the United States or Europe. The only company that should receive any mention is Game Arts.

It would be idiotic to try and sell (or inform about) a product by mentioning another publishing source. You should know this my dear. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Eh, they've already mentioned Working Designs several times in press releases and interviews, so it's not like they're trying to dodge the issue, nor is it really such a bad idea, particularly in this instance where a lot of fans of earlier localizations want reassurance about the approach XSEED is taking.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Citing in an article yes, not on their own website. It makes your own work seem inferior if you're talking about how good something was by another company on your own website.