dragon song for psp not ds would rule right?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Zeran Of The Divine Blade
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

dragon song for psp not ds would rule right?

Post by Zeran Of The Divine Blade »

ok this is my first time posting anything on this board and so fine i am a NOOB so lets get to the point wouldnt it rock if they made dragon song for the psp and not ds(sadly will most likely never happen) personaly i think that would rule but i want your opinion so just say something already....thanks

Mormon88
Reza Thief

Post by Mormon88 »

no, cause
1. no more touch screen functionality
2. i'd have to dish out 300 bucks to play it, and other than burnout legends, it'd be the only thing i'd play, due to the lackage of games worth playing on it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

No. The only way it'd get sold is if it changed to 3D, which wouldn't be needed for this kind of story. Plus, it'd be expected to have a lot of voice and animated sequences, both of which would push it way past the threshhold for GA to consider developing it.

Not to mention there'd be completely different gameplay, and nothing using the touch screen. Oh, and the smaller screen might not help either.

All in all, DS is the right format for this game. Developing it for the PSP would be a waste. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: dragon song for psp not ds would rule right?

Post by DevNall »

I disagree. Nintendo seems friendlier to 2D games, and what would the PSP have you bought you? Genesis is apparently 32MB compared to other games like Castlevania: DS that are 64MB, so I think they could have done more with audio/video if they wanted.... or did you want 3D Lunar?

If you want Dragon Song on a console, just wait for Dragon Song Complete on the PS4 or whatever. ;)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Whoa, DevNall brought something to my head. It'd be cool if the early Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and Playstation Lunar's can sold over Nintendo's WiFi Connection for play on the Nintendo Revolution. Time will tell if that ever happens.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I don't get why they would switch from CD Lunar games to Cartridge games all of a sudden. Hell, most Nintendo players wont even know what the hell Lunar is unless they've played the Sega CD or Playstation games. Doesn't make any damn sence to me :P

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Of course they'll know what it is, especially since Nintendo players have already gotten Lunar Legend.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Greensky wrote:I don't get why they would switch from CD Lunar games to Cartridge games all of a sudden. Hell, most Nintendo players wont even know what the hell Lunar is unless they've played the Sega CD or Playstation games. Doesn't make any damn sence to me :P

Yeah, really. I mean, I wouldn't get why they'd release a Kingdom Hearts game on the GBA, when it was on the PS2 first. CD to cartridge?

And what's up with all of these Sonic games on Nintendo's consoles? Weren't Mario and Sonic supposed to be rival mascots?

Things change, seriously. Who cares as long as the game's fun playing? ;)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I don't get why they would switch from CD Lunar games to Cartridge games all of a sudden. Hell, most Nintendo players wont even know what the hell Lunar is unless they've played the Sega CD or Playstation games. Doesn't make any damn sence to me Razz

Development costs. It costs far less to develop for the GBA, and even less to develop for the DS, than say, the PSP.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I was wondering why they didn't put this on PS2. Continuing the series with Sony.

But the almighty dollar (or yen) makes sense to me.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Agree with the posts above mine, but I have to say that the touch screen isn't required at all so the only unique DS qualities used are the dual screens themselves and the stupid run command via mike (which could easily be mapped to another button or made into a selectable onscreen option). The only thing which might be difficult to convert would be the battles, which do use both screens (in having the airborne enemies) but I don't think even that would be too hard. The menu on the town and world maps doesn't really need to be there; a label across the bottom or top with the name of where the cursor is would serve the purpose. Etc.

As for why it's not on PS2, see above about dev costs. Sony would not approve it as a 2D RPG without cutscenes, and cutscenes and voices and 3D if required all cost money. And it never started on PS2 in Japan anyway; it was a Saturn game that was ported to other platforms.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

GhaleonOne wrote:Development costs. It costs far less to develop for the GBA, and even less to develop for the DS, than say, the PSP.

So you were comparing both the GBA and DS development costs to the PSP, right? I know DS cards are cheaper than the GBA carts to manufacture, but on average, developers have to spend a little bit more dough to get a worthy, unique, and functional DS game out when compared to it's smaller and cute older/younger brothers (three different variations of Game Boy Advance).

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Spirit Icana wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:Development costs. It costs far less to develop for the GBA, and even less to develop for the DS, than say, the PSP.

So you were comparing both the GBA and DS development costs to the PSP, right? I know DS cards are cheaper than the GBA carts to manufacture, but on average, developers have to spend a little bit more dough to get a worthy, unique, and functional DS game out when compared to it's smaller and cute older/younger brothers (three different variations of Game Boy Advance).

G1 is very correct in that regard; however, if it sells very well then maybe they'll have a reason to justify the budget for a full console Lunar. Do we know how long this has been in development? It's possible it could have started design as a GBA game and been changed over later; you know, being the first RPG for a fairly game-starved platform that has sold pretty well could actually be a good thing for business.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hm. I do seem to recall seeing "GameArts RPG" on the list of DS upcoming titles pretty early on, like fairly soon after those lists started showing up (before the launch, I mean).

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Ah DevNall, I see your point. I was about to type up an unnecessary post.

I took it that G1 was talking as though the GBA was somehow more expensive to develop for than the Nintendo DS, which is both true and false, depending on the project. Famitsu's (terrible) survey averages point to the DS having a bit more development cash blown, in comparison to the GBA.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, I did mean that the DS was cheaper. I'm not an expert on it though. Just basing it off of this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25441
-G1

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Oh, I've never seen that article before. Interesting. I'd like to know who the 28 companies that disclosed the reported details are, but I guess that's a far shot from happening. I took the Famitsu survey jugger from another forum and they listed results that differed a bit from this article in concern of these two handhelds.

Whatever the case though, I'd hate to realize that this bolds generally true and yet at the same time Ubisoft is kind enough to charge an MSRP on the mark with the Ultimate Spider-Man DS game.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Assuming these are purely development and not production costs, I am a bit surprised; the DS is very much an evolved GBA. Maybe this is simply a result of what's been produced so far? A lot of the early DS games were probably put together fairly quickly.

(In any case, industry development costs seem to be going way up -- personally I hope this will bode well for Nintendo, who seems to be interested in keeping development costs low with their next-generation systems.)