Bouldering and Wall Climbing

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Bouldering and Wall Climbing

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi all,

I'm so psyched and excited after my first time bouldering today that I hope you don't mind my sharing! I hadn't realized just how physically, but mentally taxing it could be! It honestly doesn't look very hard, but wow... My husband and his friends are really into it right now and I wasn't sure if I would have quite the same reaction. I was pleasantly surprised though! I couldn't make it to the top of the beginners wall unfortunately... mainly because my arms just kept giving out, but due to my semi-fear of heights, and just miscalculating my footing and whatnot.

Does anyone else here go bouldering or do wall climbing as well? I'm such a newb at it that I would welcome any and all tips and suggestions for someone like me starting out.

Thanks and take care everyone! :D

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Bouldering and Wall Climbing

Post by Sonic# »

Heh, I've done it before, but never as a regular thing. So you can take any advice I have to offer with a grain of salt. I've always done it either in indoor climbing places or on portable outdoor walls...

This is pretty standard, but always try to maintain three points of contact with the wall. Two arms and a leg, two legs and an arm, whatever. Though it's tempting sometimes to flail for a place. And always try to look ahead upward while you're climbing, looking for footholds. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck in a place where you can't reach the next foothold.

And if the place has a cave place, have fun in that. Try climbing upside down, or going from one end of the wall to the other, imagining you're thirty feet up instead of two. It's very taxing, but tons of fun, and allows for what I think is far more creative climbing. It will also make your grip stronger.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've tried rock climbing up the sides of mountains in Colorado before, but I'm afraid of heights, so it's not my favorite thing. It is fun though, and yeah, it can be a heck of a work-out. Most people are surprised at how many different muscles it works out.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Lack of oxygen in the mountains can play a role too. ;) Up in the mountains I was called crazy because I was hopping from rock to rock. One slip while hopping really fast (less than 2 seconds on each rock, typically with just one foot) would result in a very painful trip down the side. XD My legs where sore for three days from doing that 4 times up and down the small mountain piece.

Granted, it wasn't 100% vertical, as I am afriad of hieghts. Still a few areas could have left me falling down the slope and off a cliff. I also sat on the edge of the cliff with my legs dangling. It was fun.

Glad you enjoyed that!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."