Isaac Hayes Quits South Park

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
JWL
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by JWL »

I personally don't care if anyone wants to be a Scientologist. However, it does irritate me that many celebrities seem to be becoming Scientologists as some sort of a fad. Just look at Katie Holmes arbitrarily throwing away her Catholicism just because she's infatuated with Tom Cruise.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
He also admitted that the easiest way to get rich was by starting your own religion...

ZING!
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Dragonlord911 wrote:Scientology considers the belief in a God or gods as something personal and therefore offers no specific dogma. The nature of the Supreme Being is revealed personally through each individual as s/he becomes more conscious and spiritually aware. There exists a life energy or force (Theta) beyond and within all. All humans are immortal spiritual beings (thetans) capable of realizing a nearly godlike state through Scientology practices.

I thought scientology was the belief that aliens populated the earth and stuff?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:
Dragonlord911 wrote:Scientology considers the belief in a God or gods as something personal and therefore offers no specific dogma. The nature of the Supreme Being is revealed personally through each individual as s/he becomes more conscious and spiritually aware. There exists a life energy or force (Theta) beyond and within all. All humans are immortal spiritual beings (thetans) capable of realizing a nearly godlike state through Scientology practices.

I thought scientology was the belief that aliens populated the earth and stuff?

The Aliens part doesn't come until you've been in the Church of Scientology for a while, it would seem. "Thetans" are the souls of the aliens who died on Earth long ago (15 trillion years ago or something). Then you have the whole deal with good and bad thetans.

I never cared to learn that much about it, though. Used to be that I was wary of talking about it, because they have a propensity to sue. Frequently. Then I realized how silly it'd look PR-wise to bring a case against someone who said a few things online. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

15 trillion years ago eh? Funny, because I remember that our solar system is only a few billion years old :P

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Alians... ALIANS... wh...ho... Where did they come from. Man, this religion keeps getting stranger and stranger... *sighs* ha, alians.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Honestly, I do have bit of a beef with Scientology. I lost a very good friend from high school to it. She was a year or so behind me and my other friends. We all went off to college, and she met a guy, married him, and ran off to New York to be a scientoligist.

No one has heard from her since :cry:

She was a very good friend of mine, a sweet girl, whom I miss. I'm still friends with people I went to high school with, time to time staying in touch, and she would have been a part of that small group.

So, pardon me if I don't really shed too many tears that South Park slammed them good

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

She was never heard from again, by anyone? I don't have a problem with religions, but I do have a problem with cults. Let 'em believe that the Earth is 15 trillion years old and we're all aliens or whatever. After all, I believe in an omnipotent, omniscient old man in the sky (no, not Santa Claus).

But cultish behavior, I don't like. It's usually a bad sign when people disappear and are never heard from again. The secrecy stuff is a bad sign, too. If your religion is so great, why are its teachings secret? Anyone can go into a bookstore or on Amazon to find out what my religion is all about.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

JWL wrote:She was never heard from again, by anyone? I don't have a problem with religions, but I do have a problem with cults. Let 'em believe that the Earth is 15 trillion years old and we're all aliens or whatever. After all, I believe in an omnipotent, omniscient old man in the sky (no, not Santa Claus).

But cultish behavior, I don't like. It's usually a bad sign when people disappear and are never heard from again. The secrecy stuff is a bad sign, too. If your religion is so great, why are its teachings secret? Anyone can go into a bookstore or on Amazon to find out what my religion is all about.

I haven't heard from her in years through my known contacts, who still have friends within her family. No one I know has any idea where this girl is, at least the last time I asked.

So, yeah. It's like she's disappeared.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

JWL wrote:She was never heard from again, by anyone? I don't have a problem with religions, but I do have a problem with cults. Let 'em believe that the Earth is 15 trillion years old and we're all aliens or whatever. After all, I believe in an omnipotent, omniscient old man in the sky (no, not Santa Claus).

I decided to wait 'til I got home to post, 'cause I didn't want any risk that what I said could be traced back to a work IP.

Anyway, I'm the same way. I'm very big on religious acceptance and coexistence, and respect, but quite honestly that doesn't extend to anything that's a cult. And considering it's behavior, I find it hard to classify Scientology as anything but a cult. You have to pay large sums of money to move up in the ranks, you're kept in the dark until you move up in the ranks, and folks who join will frequently 'disappear'.

Semi-good news!
One site I really like, Operation Clambake (http://www.xenu.net), is actually hosting the South Park episode in question. The AVI is 179.2MB large, but they also have a RM format available. The home page has a link right up top (under "What Is Going on Now?"). Clambake is sort of the best source for info about Scientology that'd otherwise be impossible to obtain (well, impossible without at least $50,000 or so).

By the way, checking that again, I got some of my numbers mixed up. Transporting aliens to Earth and killing them was 75 million years ago; 13 trillion was the number of aliens that were transported to Earth. Also 4 quadrillion years ago was some kind of implant in the aliens.

The Wiki is fun sci-fi reading. Well, no, it's lousy sci-fi reading come to think of it. KF

Links:
Clambake: http://www.xenu.net
Xenu Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That's alot of aliens. They must have been small, because Earth is having enough issues handling over 6 billion people. I figure with 1 trillion people, the earth would be so mutilated that it would be a baren wasteland resembling Mars. To be honest, I can't even imagine Earth being able to handle more than 10 billion people.

As for the 4 quadrillion years... isn't our best guess work of the age of the universe somewhere still in the billions? Or around 1 trillion?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:As for the 4 quadrillion years... isn't our best guess work of the age of the universe somewhere still in the billions? Or around 1 trillion?

13.7 billion years, according to the rate of expansion. That's assuming that the Big Bang was the beginning of the universe. I think it's quite plausible that there were previous "Big Crunch -> Big Bang" periods, and it's only 13.7 billion years since the last "Big Bang". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Indeed. However, if the theory of the Big Crunch is correct, them aliens would be smashed due to the extreme gravitational heat and stuff due to the universe being shrunk to the size of a period. :P

Also, thank you for that Xenu link thingy. Always wonderful to read about a religion that has a ruler that throws people around volcanos and then blows them up using hydrogen bombs. :) Oh, and I look forward to watching the South Park episode too. Oh, and I want to get on their SP list XD. Sounds fun to be labed a criminal because of your beliefs ^_^.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

phyco126 wrote:Sounds fun to be labed a criminal because of your beliefs ^_^.

I know you're just joking, but please, think about what you're saying.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Heh, yeah, the problem is I'll never think before I speak/type. Not that I don't want to, but more so that I just can't. I realize now that what I said could be very offensive given Earth's history, but, well, eh. All I can do is say sorry.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote: "Big Crunch"

I know it's the accepted part of the whole Big Bang theory...but just thinking about it makes me cringe :D

That frightened little boy part of me just does not wanna think that the Universe could suddenly begin to pull back in on itself. Then again, since it probably would never happen in twenty of my life times, I shouldn't think about it.....but tell that to my over active imagination :P

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

Well, it's better than Heat Death.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Kizyr wrote: "Big Crunch"

I know it's the accepted part of the whole Big Bang theory...but just thinking about it makes me cringe :D

That frightened little boy part of me just does not wanna think that the Universe could suddenly begin to pull back in on itself. Then again, since it probably would never happen in twenty of my life times, I shouldn't think about it.....but tell that to my over active imagination :P

Oh, several million lifetimes at least, unless we're totally wrong. ^_^

Actually, it doesn't make me cringe at all. In fact, I find it the most easily acceptable, though I still have questions about it that arise from a lack of understanding, perhaps even ignorance. Does the Big Crunch propose a reduction in entropy? If so, how, and could it be utilized as an energy source in the far distant future? If not, then isn't the total amount of energy in each succeeding universe getting less and less, yielding less complex forms in its intermediate stages?

Another alternative is that the universe will keep on expanding until all energy is equally distributed and action is impossible. Preservation. For what? For eternity.

Of course, this is stretching proposed theories to their limit and accounting for personal belief, which would far rather believe in the first one, for its regenerative properties. True, humanity will die out, but the universe will go on. Such cycles warm me, so that, even if we fail, and all other sentient beings fail, then there's another chance. (Fail in what? In transcending our existence? In perfection? Rather grandoise, but there's a sense of that there for me.)

And as for the name itself, there is something a little odd about it. Besides evoking a sound...

The iconography for such a process is compelling AND delicious!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well our own sun will ironically kill us off if we don't do it first. It's bound to happen eventually. However, for the big bang theory, it's intresting to know that some people don't believe in it. My dad, he doesn't believe in it, instead he believes that God made the universe like it is already. My beliefs are that God snapped his goddly fingures to make the big bang go off. Needless to say, I've been labeled, what is the term. I want to say heritic of sorts. *shrugs*

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

The Pope (That is Pope Pius XII) acknowleged the Big Bang theory as plausible and a likely representation as to what occured, of course the Big Bang was caused by God. He was admired by Einstein for these efforts.

Being a star-gazer and a believer in both sciences and an omnipotent personal God, it's a theory I happily subscibe to it.