HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Americans are so stupid....

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Americans are so stupid....

Post by phyco126 »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413/

I'm glad I don't live in America.

:P *flees*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

lucia24
Student of Vane

Post by lucia24 »

hahahaha... :D

"Even if a day should go by when I don't say I love you,
May never a moment go by without you knowing I do."

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Wow, us Americans are IDIOTS!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You mean we Americans. :P

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:You mean we Americans. :P

:D Justice is served. I'll admit, I myself am shaky on geography. It has nothing to do with being stupid. My brain just doesn't work that way. I have trouble visualizing things.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I loved geography in school, so I know the US and World Maps quite well. I guess if you never study them, you probably don't know where some places are located, but that is pretty nuts that people can't locate Iraq. It's only been in the next constantly for 4 years or so, and fairly frequently for 16 or so now.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Eh, I don't know where it is. Possibly because I get all my news from radio. :D

I'm not sure if it's that I had Latin ni 7th grade instead of geography or if I just zoned out or have a hard time remembering, but I've just never been much for recalling where places are. Even on the city level, which is why I have a nav system in my car. :P

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I understand that not everyone will know where everywhere is. While I'm generally good when it comes to countries in the news, I'm admittedly sketchy on some Eastern European countries (Romania's over... there somewhere!), and I have an embarrassing tendancy to place Benin in that region too. Some of Africa I'm also lost on.

So while I got a perfect score on a geography quiz posted with the CNN.com version, if they were to focus on certain countries (those in the news less often, for example), I'd be lost.

My brother, eerily enough, is better than I am. I can narrow a country name down to region at least. He can point all of them out on a map (and has demonstrated this).

Is it important to know where everything is? Well, to understand part of the way different countries relate to one another, yes. To at least be able to put a place to a name, yes. I don't know though. Are there better reasons than this?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Travel. It's a pretty good idea to know what part of the world you're going to if you're traveling out of the country. Or even in it. :P
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

GhaleonOne wrote:Travel. It's a pretty good idea to know what part of the world you're going to if you're traveling out of the country. Or even in it. :P

I know how to use a map. Reminds of what my media teacher once said: "The important part isn't knowing information; it's knowing how to find the information."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm good at geography; always have been.

I don't like the article in that it's trying to paint a picture of all Americans as stupid. Fact is, most folks around the world, 'cept those in good education systems (which is not the case for most people in the world) wouldn't be able to do the same things.

It reminds me of that stupid game show, Street Smarts, where they go around and find some imbecil to make fun of by asking a bunch of questions. What really gets me is when they ask the moderately hard ones, and everyone acts as if they knew the answer to avoid looking stupid themselves. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:Eh, I don't know where it is. Possibly because I get all my news from radio. :D

Psst, it's in the Middle East ;) *gets pelted by rocks*

Nah, I pretty freaking good at geography. I know where the states are all located. Colorado is in Mexico, Washington D.C. is in Mars, and New Orleans is somewhere around The Lost City of Atlantis.

Seriously though, I'm good at these things. I recall helping a friend with a project where he had to find information on countries around the world, and part of that information was the litteracy rate. In most of the countries in Europ, they all had 99-100% rate. Even the poor countries still had 90% or more. Then I got curious about the United States, and to be honest, education wise we are the only world power who is stupid. Quite funny actually. I think our rate was like, 72% or something.

Can't say I was surprised. I do recall nearly half the students in any of my classes who either couldn't read or had trouble doing it. Me, I was the one who failed most of my classes, but only because I hated homework :lol: . When I actually studied and did my homework, I got pretty good grades. Not anything compared to some of the geniuses in the school, but certainly above average :P

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I find it somewhat sad that people find it necessary to look down on the intelligence of others in order to feel superior. Instead of pointing out what others cannot do, they would be better served pointing out what they can do.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I can do math puny human. 1+2 = 248. See? Worship me! BWA HAHAHAHA!

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I can do math puny human. 1+2 = 248. See? Worship me! BWA HAHAHAHA

And thus society began...

Anyway, I am a freshman right now (in mississippi) and I can honestly say that there are many idiots around here. However, there is no shortage of geniuses either.
I am good at geography as well. I can point out where Cathmandu, Kyoto, and Berlin are. I can even pronounce Reykjavík!
I think the problem here is that Geography is not emphasized enough. If I taught geog. in America, I would concentrate on Europe and BEING ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHINA AND JAPAN! Honestly! Huge difference.
I plan on taking Advanced Placement Geography as a senior.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

phyco126 wrote: I recall helping a friend with a project where he had to find information on countries around the world, and part of that information was the litteracy rate. In most of the countries in Europ, they all had 99-100% rate. Even the poor countries still had 90% or more. Then I got curious about the United States, and to be honest, education wise we are the only world power who is stupid. Quite funny actually. I think our rate was like, 72% or something.

Are you sure about that? All the statistics I've seen have put the U.S. literacy rate somewhere around 97%. That can be lowered to somewhere around 85% if you exclude the functionally illiterate, but then you'd have to also adjust everyone else's rate (e.g. the UK's rate would drop from about 99% to close to 90%).
Last edited by Imperial Knight on Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hey, it was on a website, so I wouldn't bet my life on that.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Hey, it was on a website, so I wouldn't bet my life on that.

CIA World Factbook:
Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 99%
male: 99%
female: 99% (2003 est.)

KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The CIA lies! Those capitalist pigs brain-wash you into thinking that! But in Mother Russia, you brain-wash KGB!

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/edu_lit_tot_pop

USA -> 97%

Though I'm more opted to believe the CIA. After all, they did bug my phone to gather information on my attept to take over the world.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I personally find that list a little hard to believe. I know there are countries with a better literacy rate, but some of those countries above us don't come across as ones that would have 97%+ literacy rate. I think Kiz's CIA figure is more believable myself.
-G1