HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Americans are so stupid....

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote:The CIA lies! Those capitalist pigs brain-wash you into thinking that! But in Mother Russia, you brain-wash KGB!

But they also list the literacy rate of Cuba as being 97%. Granted that's not as high as what they claim ours to be, but it's amazing that a nation that poor has such a high rate.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:I personally find that list a little hard to believe. I know there are countries with a better literacy rate, but some of those countries above us don't come across as ones that would have 97%+ literacy rate. I think Kiz's CIA figure is more believable myself.

It's pretty hard to buy that a lot of the Latin American and Caribbean nations (with the notable exception of Cuba, more on that in a second) have a higher literacy rate. Theirs is more accurately between 90 and 97 percent. However, that a lot of the Central Asian republics have high literacy rates isn't too surprising (again, more on that in a sec).

Werefrog wrote:But they also list the literacy rate of Cuba as being 97%. Granted that's not as high as what they claim ours to be, but it's amazing that a nation that poor has such a high rate.

On the contrary, it's not too surprising. A lot of former and currently communist countries have a pretty good record when it comes to a few stats--most notably gender equality (Cuba is probably the best in the hemisphere with that) and basic measures like literacy rates. Granted, there are all the human rights concerns, but Cuba isn't really as poor as you likely think it is...

That's also why a lot of the former Soviet republics have literacy rates a lot higher than you might expect, given their per-capita GDP.

EDIT: Some other notable outliers where education and literacy are a lot better than income would indicate are Sri Lanka, Viet Nam, and Kerala in India. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

It's cultural, this country has no foundation in which education is important, this country relies far more on improvisation, ideas and creativity than true to text education. Which is why the American work ethic sucks and is also why we outsource everything to everyone else.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Oh yeah. I understand that. It's still amazing though. The Communist system worked well with education.

And I know enough about the economic situation of Cuba. They're pretty poor. Their fortunes might have improved a bit in recent years now that Chavez is supplying them with oil. A few years ago they didn't have enough gas for their guaguas (Cuban/Puerto Rican for bus).

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Eh, I would have thought that Cuban Cigars would make them rich enough to live well, considering the outrageous price they are supposed to have. Of course, I'm basing this all on an illegal trade and movies. :P Me no need edumacation.

Seriously though, I really would have expected the trade embargo to actually help them save money. That way they wouldn't be shelling out the dough to buy a new car everyyear. Instead they keep the same car for 40+ years. :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:It's cultural, this country has no foundation in which education is important, this country relies far more on improvisation, ideas and creativity than true to text education. Which is why the American work ethic sucks and is also why we outsource everything to everyone else.

That's true on some level, but I'm still very skeptical about the statement you've made. True, improvisation, ideas, and creativity are one of the driving forces behind industry, but there are countless jobs that require the structure of an educational system (which we have). Look at the scientific community, and the rigorous education they're required to receive before they can do anything besides grunt lab work on someone else's experiments. Of course, we do use a lot of experts from other countries, but the foundation is there. It's just a foundation that, like many things in our country, are partially fueled by the influx of new minds, new labor.

It's more than simply being cultural though. In a system that seeks to serve the student and that must deal with the demands of parents and both hyper-left and hyper-right groups, gaps will exist in some people's education. I consider 99% a darn good rate, even if that still means that about 3 million people are out of the picture. (I'm curious - could some of that 1% be chalked up to people who don't speak English as a first language? How do they measure literacy?)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Eh, I would have thought that Cuban Cigars would make them rich enough to live well, considering the outrageous price they are supposed to have. Of course, I'm basing this all on an illegal trade and movies. :P Me no need edumacation.

Cuban cigars are largely overrated. Most of the allure for Americans is that you can't easily buy them at a corner market. I still have a few I picked up for, maybe, $20? Not cheap ones either, a few Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas.

They're all right, but still most of the appeal is in how they're harder to obtain.

That's true on some level, but I'm still very skeptical about the statement you've made. True, improvisation, ideas, and creativity are one of the driving forces behind industry, but there are countless jobs that require the structure of an educational system (which we have). Look at the scientific community, and the rigorous education they're required to receive before they can do anything besides grunt lab work on someone else's experiments. Of course, we do use a lot of experts from other countries, but the foundation is there. It's just a foundation that, like many things in our country, are partially fueled by the influx of new minds, new labor.

Not to mention that the United States has the best higher education system in the entire world. Students worldwide want to come to the US to continue their higher education.

Which is why I find it funny how a lot of other countries (Japan, notably) will tout their successes with education by focusing on the high school level, while their university levels are in a pretty poor condition compared to the US (and, to a lesser extent, Canada). There're a handful of great universities around the world, but the top students often find a way to continue their education here. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Then again, sometimes education doesn't measure how smart someone is. Einstein did poorly in school and was even considered retarded so a lesser extent. Look how he came out :P

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Then again, sometimes education doesn't measure how smart someone is. Einstein did poorly in school and was even considered retarded so a lesser extent. Look how he came out :P

Oh and not to mention folks who suffer from autism! People who manage to overcome autism can end up being the most intelligent people you'll ever find. The unfortunate thing is that the condition sometimes prevents that from happening. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Indeed. Ever watch Mercury Rising? That was an intresting movie.

Or even me. I failed the majority of my classes in school. Not because I was stupid, but because I didn't want to do anything. When I actually did things I got really good grades. Not to mention all the major tests taken, like the ACT, ASVAB, and IQ tests I wouldf score above average. Not genious, but certainly a notch about the rest.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Or even me. I failed the majority of my classes in school. Not because I was stupid, but because I didn't want to do anything. When I actually did things I got really good grades. Not to mention all the major tests taken, like the ACT, ASVAB, and IQ tests I wouldf score above average. Not genious, but certainly a notch about the rest.

Aye, I've known people like that. A person's academic ability observes both their general intelligence and their willingness to work. So there'd be this one guy for instance, quick-witted, very smart. I'd have to help him in math every day, not because he wasn't good at it, but because he didn't pay attention. He didn't care about French much, and breezed by with a C. Now he's in something he really loves, aviation, and seems to be enjoying it very much.

I guess that means that the educational system is blind to interest, but not effort. Interest is assumed, but not always cultivated. It partially comes from being good at it, but also comes from a certain emotional vestment. If I'm inspired by the professor, I will try that much harder. If I love the subject as a subject, rather than something I'm good at, I will spend that much more time pounding away at problems and papers.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. You just kinda made me think of it like that, phyco.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

I go to a school in North-East Mississippi. Almost everyone in my school is a total de-de-de. I hate it. I want to learn... * slaps himself *
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:I'm not sure where I'm going with this. You just kinda made me think of it like that, phyco.

I've always felt that having intelligence without any effort to use it is the same as robbing a bank with a bullet, but forgetting the gun.

I've seen folks who felt they were too smart to learn anything from school. They ended up stagnating and not going anywhere, while the folks with average intelligence who were hard workers moved ahead. The most important thing job-wise tends to be your ability to learn and adapt; that requires both intelligence and hard work, and one can only compensate for the other so much. KF

EDIT: This isn't a jab at you, Phyco, sorry if it sounds like that. I'm giving my general opinion on the whole relationship between hard work and intelligence here is all. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Nah, I understand. I actually never thought about it like that, so thanks for the insight. :)

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

The way I see it, being smart is a combination of being intelligent and being wise. The wise use knowledge well, and the intelligent gain knowledge quickly.

I'd also like to mention that having a good work ethic is wise.