Men spent 9 months adrift in the Pacific...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Men spent 9 months adrift in the Pacific...

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060825/wl_ ... shermen_dc

That's some hella crazy survivor skills.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, read that a while back, but there are conflicting reports with that one. Still, it's good to hear of someone/s adrift at sea being smart enough to actually catch fish and eat them to prevent starvation and possible cannabolism.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The fact that they drifted 5000 miles is insane though. That's a LONG ways away. That's around almost 20 miles a day in one direction. It's a wonder a storm didn't destroy the boat.
-G1

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

I respect it because I wouldn't have been able to do it. I would've died.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I would've died too. X__x That's insane! They say part of being able to survive when you're in a situation like that though is to have a strong will to live and believe that you'll make it out okay. Apparently there was a man who was shipwrecked in Lake Superior during the winter. He was in the water for three days before being rescued and believes he survived because he was so determined to live and kept his determination. I don't know, but if I were in either of these situations, I wouldn't have such a strong resolve.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

SpaceFlare
Iluk Crackpot

Post by SpaceFlare »

I would've died in a number of days. My survival skills are pretty much below average. Amazing they were able to stay alive that long though

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hm, I'd mean to live. I can admire their resolve, and if I were in their same situation, that's what I'd aspire to be able to do. Whether or not I'd be able to make it is another story, but I wouldn't give up.

The one thing is that it's a lot harder for me to adapt to the cold than the heat. If it weren't in a semi-tropical to tropical area, then I would probably be screwed. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

Youd be surprised what you can do if youre in the situation. My school was a little different that everyone else's, i had to take survival classes and all. Ive been on ships everywhere from the atlantic to the pacific, indian ocean, mediterranean, south china sea, etc. I dont know what sort of gear these gentlemen had for survival, but most boats will have survival packs stuffed with all kinds of great stuff from lights to emergency beacons able to picked up from satellite, to transponders able to be picked up by ships radars to unique little survival meals. I know they were on a relatively small vessel going coastwise, but chances are they had some sort of emergency gear at least to start out. These survival meals look like candy bars, but are like 4000 calorie bars, which are ideal for survival situations.

Im sure that a boat this small didnt carry the transponders or beacons, becasue they would have been picked up in a matter of days, but they probably had at least something to start off. Its still a rather impressive display of personal survival.

Kiz wrote:
The one thing is that it's a lot harder for me to adapt to the cold than the heat. If it weren't in a semi-tropical to tropical area, then I would probably be screwed

More than you know dude, your body transfers way more heat when you are immersed in the water than if you are out of it. Theres something called the rule of 50s, in water below 50 degrees F, you have a 50% chance of survival for 50 minutes. If you can keep yourself out of the water somehow, your chances dramatically increase.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

AbsoluteAlex wrote:More than you know dude, your body transfers way more heat when you are immersed in the water than if you are out of it. Theres something called the rule of 50s, in water below 50 degrees F, you have a 50% chance of survival for 50 minutes. If you can keep yourself out of the water somehow, your chances dramatically increase.

I'm talking air-temperatures in this case. I've been diving quite a few times, so I know that 50-degree water feels like it's freezing--and 70-degree water even feels chilly. I'll be remembering that 50s rule, though. But I have a feeling that my chance of survival like that might be even lower; I have a compact frame, but little fat and muscle mass, so I'm not very suited to retaining heat. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The only issue I would have if I ever had to surivive out in the wild or the ocean, is eating insects, worms, and raw meat. Ew.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

When youre out for a while and you havent eaten anything, youre tastebuds go numb and your body is just glad it has something in it. Believe me if you were out and you were starving, you might be like yuck thats gross in the first few days, but after a while, it probably is going to look pretty tasty.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

Faust
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Faust »

AbsoluteAlex wrote:When youre out for a while and you havent eaten anything, youre tastebuds go numb and your body is just glad it has something in it. Believe me if you were out and you were starving, you might be like yuck thats gross in the first few days, but after a while, it probably is going to look pretty tasty.

Agreeing on this one...Personally I would died from sea sickness first rather than hunger...Good grief nine months...

About eating insects and worms hmmm...I read some where that if you are forced to eat these morsels, it would be wise to swallow them whole, instead of biting or chewing which would then spill the contents...Which is pretty much an aquired taste...*Gulp* Yummy?

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

I'd resort to cannibalism on the first day if I was stranded with a survivor. Puhehehe. I seriously want to know what human taste like.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Yes Mog, and then they find you two days later, bloated, with all the food rations still there and no one else.

But I have a feeling that my chance of survival like that might be even lower; I have a compact frame, but little fat and muscle mass, so I'm not very suited to retaining heat. KF

I'm pretty much in the same position. Well, nearly. I'm actually a heat generator when I'm well-fed, but any long-term exposure to the cold, and any amount of time where I don't consume food... my low amounts of fat really would work against me.

My main concern, as far as an event like that, would be psychological vigor. Physically, I suppose I'd be durable enough for my environment (or not) to survive for a while, but the isolation, dehydration, starvation, illness, exhaustion, hypothermia, heat stroke... all these potentials and realities wearing a person down... there's no real way to know how many scars I'd have after being rescued, if I was.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time