Saddam about to be executed...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Angelalex242 »

The main precedent for the future I see coming from this is...

They took an Al Capone approach to Saddam. All they could get Capone on was tax evasion. Likewise, this is all they could get Saddam on, so they strung him up for it.

So it sounds like what the Iraqi courts are going to do is, convinct somebody for something they can be convicted of, then use the punishment of whatever the worst crime you've ever been accused of is. It'd be sorta like executing Al Capone for 'Tax Evasion' when you're instead executing him for making all those people sleep with the fishies.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Angelalex242 wrote:The main precedent for the future I see coming from this is...

They took an Al Capone approach to Saddam. All they could get Capone on was tax evasion. Likewise, this is all they could get Saddam on, so they strung him up for it.
There's a big difference. Al Capone was never executed, he was only sent to prison for tax evasion. So, none of the people he killed ever got justice for it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Not MORTAL justice anyway.

But Al Capone died of syphilis, and if the Courts wouldn't avenge the slain, a higher power could and did.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Joe17 wrote:does anyone know of a website that airs the actual execution? I have browsed though youtube and stuff, but all I can get is what was on CNN. I am kinda mad that he got hung. I wanted to be the one to catch him.
Tony Montana should have got him. :lol:

Seriously, though. The psychologically positive things that are done by this for so many people are astounding.

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

I agree with Kiz's earlier posting, let me tell you from someone who has been over there, that saddam hussien did not die for his worst crimes in the least. He was only executed for what the courts could provide direct evidence on. While yes, Kiz is correct, he should have been tried and hanged for other offenses, the end result is the same. Justice was done. While I regret the loss of any life, even saddam's, I believe he got what was coming to him. I mean he created a dictatorship for over 20 years where the minority ruled the majority. Him, the Batthists, and his sons literaly squeezed the life out of a country and created fear and despair in an entire country. Just speaking to some people in villages surrounding the former dictator's they would say things like family members would be taken in the middle of the night and they would never be seen again. One person's sister did not want to return to a palace in baghdad with the younger hussein son and she was murdered the next day. Things like that, which affected countless familes throughout all of iraq. He was never tried for that. But I believe in the end he got what he deserved.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out