Who says Americans are stupid?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
JWL
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Who says Americans are stupid?

Post by JWL »

I say there are stupid people in every country!

French "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - HARD question!!!

Everybody knows the correct answer is The Silver Star.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Holy wow. The audience even got it wrong. That's nuts.

Just how bad is the school system in France?

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

That's a wow moment. I've wondered why everyone here in the U.S. seems to like making fun of the French, and I think I've been given a reason. Well, at least, what, 42% aren't ignorant dopes?
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indictment against France, but rather I'd say that it's evidence that you can probably find a bunch of people to say something stupid no matter what country you're in.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That was pretty funny. I though Europe had adopted teaching that the sun does not revolve around the Earth, that the Earth is not the center of the Universe, and that the Earth is NOT square...

=P

Though, those of you that will just accuse France as being stupid and that your country-men are smart, I will point out that I've seen stupider all over the world. Japan, Russia, Germany, Australia...

Though often I find the biggest idiot pool is the US Justice system...

"Hey, lets throw you in jail for spanking your child, but if your child grows up and breaks a crime, lets make the parent liable for jail, fines, or lawsuits OMG"

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The way I've always heard it, at least in the past 5-10 years, is that while the US may lag behind some countries in the world in primary school, we generally have the best college education. I'm not sure how true that is, but I know I've read that in numerous places.
-G1

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

phyco126 wrote:Though often I find the biggest idiot pool is the US Justice system...

"Hey, lets throw you in jail for spanking your child, but if your child grows up and breaks a crime, lets make the parent liable for jail, fines, or lawsuits OMG"
While we may have a deep disagreement on the topic of the other thread, we can certainly agree on that. Did you hear about this?

13 year old boys face sex abuse charges for spanking female classmates

A 13 year old who spanked girls in the hallway should get detention, not hard time in juvie hall. Good grief.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:The way I've always heard it, at least in the past 5-10 years, is that while the US may lag behind some countries in the world in primary school, we generally have the best college education. I'm not sure how true that is, but I know I've read that in numerous places.
Yeah, our college education pretty much is the best in the world. That's why people will come from everywhere else in the world to try and get higher education here, if possible.

There are really only a handful of universities elsewhere that are really right up there with the top colleges in the US (UNAM, Mexico City; Todai, Tokyo; Oxford, Cambridge, etc.).

Also, it's sometimes pretty difficult to assess how good primary education is. I'd argue that a lot of aspects of the Japanese education system are seriously lagging, even though by a lot of objective measures it's much better than the US. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

JWL wrote: While we may have a deep disagreement on the topic of the other thread, we can certainly agree on that. Did you hear about this?

A 13 year old who spanked girls in the hallway should get detention, not hard time in juvie hall. Good grief.
I did; I think it's pretty pathetic. I think sexual harrasment is a very serious thing, but with young teenagers, I mean come on, jail? I think a probationary counsling with a commuted lesser sentence such as apology letters, classes and counsling, community service, etc etc etc.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Wow...people really think the sun revolves around the Earth at this day and age? Geez.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Perhaps their education system doesn't focus on astronomy. Still, I'm stupefied; to me it's common sense what orbits what. Anyone can say a stupid thing; I just hope I never get a question on certain aspects of pop culture.

As for the article JWL posted, I think they could've been given more than detention without this escalating into the courts. They were touching people inappropriately in a school environment, okay. There's in-school suspsension, out-of-school suspension, mandated meetings with a school counselor or psychologist (if they have one)... these behavors could become worse and more pronounced, and that's reason for concern, but not for such tough measures.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time