Video game tattoos. A new level of nerdiness.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
LuciaOne
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Video game tattoos. A new level of nerdiness.

Post by LuciaOne »

So yeah... today.... I finally got my True Wind Rune tattoo (a la Suikoden). For those not familiar with the series, Suikoden's magic system is based off of Runes, and each rune has it's own symbol. Runes are very commonplace, but in Suikoden, there are also 27 "True Runes", which are much more powerful than the lesser runes. And if I ever had a rune, or an affinity to an element, wind would definitely be it. And I love the symbol.

Sorry about the low-quality. I webcam-ed it.

Does anyone else have any sweet tattoos? I know you do, Justin!
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wow, you actually do look like your avatar a bit.

No tattoos for me, though.

teh_shirt_ninja
Burg Farmer

Post by teh_shirt_ninja »

I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon, though I'm still not too sure of what. If you want to see a cool bunch of people with video game tattoos though i suggest visiting this livejournal community, theyve all got kickass ones.

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Haha.. omg that's pretty hott only cuz I love Suikoden.. I want my Soul Eater right now!!

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Good for you I guess...

not to cause an argument but did you know that the swirly design like that is also used as a symbol for 666. Funny...I also noticed its on your right hand. Haha.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Didn't know that about 666, but makes sense to me. Nice tattoo though. However, you have to becareful for what jobs you get now. Some places won't let you work if you have a tattoo showing.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

I've never seen that 666 thing before-- and I can't find any images like what you're saying... but yeah, I know about the job thing- I've already contacted people who work at where I will work someday (Raven Software- the people who make X-Men Legends and Quake 4) and they have told me that tattoos there and in the video game industry in general are fine =D
~~~

~~~
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
~~~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Don't just expect to get into the gaming industry. I wanted to for years, and ended up not having any desire to get into it now. You never know where you'll be in the future.
-G1

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Don't just expect to get into the gaming industry. I wanted to for years, and ended up not having any desire to get into it now. You never know where you'll be in the future.

I dunno G1, I'm in contact with these guys all the time (one of them is a good friend of mine- and I know the art director at Raven, along with probably 20 other people who work there minimum) ~ they keep reviewing my portfolio for me and are telling me exactly what I need to do to get a job there. =]
~~~

~~~
~~~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm not doubting it, I'm just saying, things happen, and it's always good to have a backup plan. Video game companies can fold up over time. And even your friends could get jobs at another company leaving you without contacts there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay you or anything, I'm just saying, it doesn't always work out how you plan it. I had set plans when I entered college years ago and they're nothing like they are now honestly.
-G1

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Breaking into the video game industry isn't as hard as people make it out to be. For one, people underestimate the value of starting as a lowly game tester and making connections through that. But hell, even from my position as head of GAF, the entrance into the industry through the PR and marketing world is not too bad.

More often than the difficulty, I usually tell people to question their motives for WHY they want to be in the industry. Usually, it's that they want to design uber games because they have the greatest ideas, etc. We've all been there. But the unfortunate reality is that there are very few dream designer jobs in the industry and it takes a lot of work and luck to get there.

Anyway, enough of that. If I got tattoos, it would most certainly be video game-related. But I don't think I need that level of dorkdom. As it is, my entire wardrobe is filled with video game stuff thanks to me purchasing them, getting them as gifts, and the plethora of freebies from game companies.
-Rich-

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't think G1's talking about being able to break into it so much as he's saying that goals change as you grow and what you want now may not be what you want then. I thought for 11 years that I wanted to be a high school music teacher, until in about my fourth year of college it dawned on me that it would be a lousy personality fit.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Getting into the game industry is largely luck and contacts. I managed mostly on luck (and a certain degree of idiocy) so I wouldn't recommend my method. If you already have contacts that helps a lot, but keep a backup plan in mind in case it doesn't work out for you. Raven Software is likely to work you like a dog (long hours are practically a requirement at a developer, much more so than at a publisher), and if you have friends there you probably know that already, but knowing it an experiencing it can be two different things. I know people who've quit the game industry due to burn-out.

I also would not recommend the tester route for making contacts, because quite frankly, everybody and their brother winds up in the test bed and unless you're damn good at making contacts you're not going to rise out of it. In my six years in the industry I've seen it happen twice. Testers, like it or not, are the least valuable part of the team and easily disposed of. Most are given six-to-nine month contracts and then laid off, after which time they have to start all over again at a new company. Quite a few producers will have test backgrounds, but for every producer with a test background you're probably looking at close to eighty other testers who all want to be game designers/producers.

That's not to say testers won't make contacts, but they have to work much harder than anyone else because the test environment is usually cut off from the rest of development. You can't make contacts if you're stuck in a test lab all day and never meet anyone other than more QA testers.

Anyway, that's not really the point of this topic. If you have contacts at Raven and they're helping you along, that's great. Most people aren't lucky enough to have a mentor. Just keep in mind that Raven is owned by Activision, so keep an eye on the publisher, because they're the ones with the power. If Activision does poorly they may have a hiring freeze at their development houses, or if there is a management change over at Raven it would be very easy get shut out because the new person in charge of hiring could be looking for specific people... and is willing to hire them from the last company he/she worked at.

If you met the people at Raven at a trade show or the like, it might be a good idea to make friends with artists from other companies, just to get a better feel for what's out there and in case Raven doesn't pan out.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I used to want to be a programmer for video games, then I realized that required a lot of coding. And I'd hate to have to stare at lines of code for 8-14 hours a day.

Hell I even hate translating, to be honest. The only reason I do is when it's Lunar-related stuff, and that's only because I want the information out there. You'll probably never see me take the time to do a walkthrough for, say, Sakura Taisen. But I'll work day and night to put one together for Magic School.

But, that's just me. Only angle that I'd get in would be through programming or translating--only the latter at this point.

You want to get into graphic design, right? At least, considering your talent and skills, that's what I've always thought. I figure even if something goes awry and you don't get employed by Raven, there'll be plenty of other places worthwhile.

BTW, the tattoo's hot.

Aaron wrote:not to cause an argument but did you know that the swirly design like that is also used as a symbol for 666. Funny...I also noticed its on your right hand. Haha.

Doesn't really mean anything. The swirl design is used for a million symbols, particularly anything that's designed using three characters (acronyms, e.g.). Off the top of my head, I'm thinking hurricanes, Fireaxis (Civilization and Alpha Centauri), Afrikaner supremacists, etc. If there's a symbol, there's a hundred other ones that'll look vaguely similar. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

That's really cool Alayna! My element would have to be wind as well, though the tattoo I'm getting to represent it is going to be different. I'm going to get the Wind Rose (complex version of the Compass Rose) tattooed on my back (close to where the "stripper tattoos" are) and when you graph out the directions of the wind (the basis for the cardinal directions) it makes up a (26 petal?) rose. I also want fairy wings and my intials in the Celtic alaphabet (and maybe the Smashing Pumpkins heart).

But, as for video game tattoos...I was thinking about getting that symbol that appears behind Lamia Ausa when you first meet her (I think both in TSS and SSSC, but you see it better in SSSC) tattooed somewhere on me. I dunno we'll see, it's a pretty tattoo.

Anyway, yeah I love the tattoo and I have never heard of it being associated with 666. It looks similar to a real rune I've seen before and many runes were given satanic connotations by the Catholic church way back when to deter people away from them. Like the pentacle or pentagram being assocaited with devil worhship. Hahaha...funny.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Coley Lou
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Coley Lou »

That looks exclent Alayna. Matt got a star on his right hand just a couple weeks ago, and he was begging me to get one with him. But you know I work way too much in office type jobs, and I'm still amazed I've gotten away with my nose piercing (trying to get the lip one passed by them.) At anyrate, I'm not totaly sure what I want.

He has a libra sign on the back of his neck, and his star on his hand is going to be part of an entire tribal sleeve, and while that's very apealing to me on him XD I just wouldn't know what I want, and I don't want to do something that drastic unless I am 150% sure I know exactly what I want and that I want it and that I can deal with it for forever. I'd probably get something to do with pirates :)

Anyway as for the gaming thing, hey who knows. My exboyfriend works for Maxis now. It's obviously possible. I know other people who have non artist jobs in other video game companies. I wish you luck though. Hehe I want to be a film producer after all, I don't think my dream is any more grand then yours ^^

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Ooooooooh. I do like that tattoo.

I have decided that I probably won't ever get one though. If I were to get one ... oh, I might get a Mr. Saturn on my shoulder, or... yes, something pirate-y, like a rapier going through a fluffy hat. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:... oh, I might get a Mr. Saturn on my shoulder, or...

DOING!!! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Sorry about the lateness and all. Work has been hectic, and I'm still contendin' with this double sign in thing... hopefully Kiz will be able to help.

You all ready know I love your tattoo. IT'S AWESOME!! It's time for my thunder!!!

Of course that's not even half of my tattoos. As for the whole job thing. I work at Wal-Mart, and I can have whatever I want where I want. As long as they aren't offensive, dead things, nekkid things, racial things. But I don't like tattoos like that really. Except for this one of a turtle humpin' a clam with hearts above his head. HE'S SO CUTE!!!

*ahem*

Job wise, I'm content with Wal-Mart, all I want in life are my tattoos, my house, which I'm about to get soon, and maybe my Great Danes. The Simple Life for me.

HI!!
ImageImageImage

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Job wise, I'm content with Wal-Mart, all I want in life are my tattoos, my house, which I'm about to get soon, and maybe my Great Danes. The Simple Life for me.

I LOVE your tattoos... especially the one on your leg, he's gorgeous. And your angel looks kinda like Aerith! You should post the ones on your hand too =D I wuff them.

Great Danes are the sweetest dogs too- my mom always used to have them, big sweet dogs are the best!
~~~

~~~
~~~