ELECTION '08 CLINTON VS. OBAMA

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

ELECTION '08 CLINTON VS. OBAMA

Post by kyle1992 »

Now I really thought that when Obama sent out the flyer saying about what Clinton's Health policy or whatever that there was just a big fight.There was a fight over the policy BUT, word of mouth says that Clinton sant a picture of Obama wearing muslim clothing and the fact that he was going to be something like Osama Bin Laden. Now i'm sorry about if this affects anyone's religion but I just learned this and must be said. What i'm wondering is that if this is a campaign act or an offensive act to the candidates.
"may you go with god's protection"-Nicholas D.Wolfwood

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: ELECTION '08 CLINTON VS. OBAMA

Post by Kizyr »

....ok, your post is mostly incoherent. But I can at least tell what event you're talking about.

Clinton's campaign is saying the picture itself is no big deal. When Hillary's visited other countries, she's often worn traditional dress respective to said countries. Obama wearing traditional Somali clothing as an act of good faith is nothing different. At least, that's Clinton's official word. Obama's official word is the same thing.

Anyway, I'm 100% behind Obama anyhow. But that's not what your post was about.

...I think.

You really need to learn how to communicate in the English language a little better. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's getting difficult to understand your posts.

EDIT: Source for Clinton's comments and the source of the photos is the Drudge Report. So most likely the entire thing is being blown out of proportion. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Blown out of proportion? on DRUDGE? You don't say!

:P

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I don't care who wins. Why?

1. I'm sure both of them are far better than Bush was...
2. Will both make history if they are elected (first Black President, first Female President)
3. As long as either of them are far better than Bush, I prefere either, I want to see history happen dangit.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

like Hilary to win I like her policy more then OBAMA we need someone who knows what they are doing we are really messed up here and we need to get out of this situation with the war and the lowering of our economy and Hillary is the best bet she has been there before

Beside can you imagine the president time line Bush senior (4 years) Bill CLINTON (8 years) J. W. Bush (8 years) then it could be Hillary CLINTON (?)

(Bush, CLINTON, Bush, CLINTON) :P

And Kizyr don’t give kyle1992 a hard time 8)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr's not being hard. He wants understandability. That was the main reason I didn't reply to the post, because I wasn't sure what kyle1992 was talking about.

If we're going to talk about the positions between the two parties, I think their bickering is cute, but I wish both of them would stop.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

You people do realize that it's entirely possible that neither of them will win the actual presidency, right? They're only competing for the Democratic Party's nomination right now, and John McCain (the clear frontrunner for the Republican Party) may beat either one of them when it comes down to the actual final vote.

Incidentally, none of these candidates have my 100% support. My #1 Democratic candidate was Dennis Kucinich and he dropped out weeks ago, and my favorite Republican candidate is Ron Paul and that looks more and more like a lost cause with every passing day.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Guitar wrote: You people do realize that it's entirely possible that neither of them will win the actual presidency, right?
I would like to pretend that's not true and that Bush has screwed up so much over the last 8 years that the Democrats would be sure to win. Unfortunately, I thought that in 2004.
lutomboy wrote: Beside can you imagine the president time line Bush senior (4 years) Bill CLINTON (8 years) J. W. Bush (8 years) then it could be Hillary CLINTON (?)
I can imagine that... but I would have to imagine some sort of monarchy where two families alternate control of the country.

I think Hilary would probably be just as capable of being president as Obama, but I'm ready for someone different than the Clintons and the Bushs. Also, I'm not sure Hilary has the charisma to win it. Well, she'd probably go up against McCain, so I don't think she would need too much charisma after all.

But I guess, if Hilary wins, it would be a lot easier for my descendants to memorize the order of the Presidents. I guess that's a plus.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:I don't care who wins. Why?

1. I'm sure both of them are far better than Bush was...
2. Will both make history if they are elected (first Black President, first Female President)
3. As long as either of them are far better than Bush, I prefere either, I want to see history happen dangit.

Bush being an awful president shouldn't cause you to lower your standards to ANYONE better than him. That'd be like stopping a 7 year old from defuse a bomb and then asking a 10 year old to do it.

also, we're electing a person. not a black person or a female person.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

im not trying to be racist or sexist but, i can honestly say that the country is not ready for an african american or a woman to be president just yet. im not against the idea i just cant see it actually happening.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

statements like that don't mean anything, exigence. the country wasn't ready to give up slavery or let women vote either, but it happened. and considering that the white men all fell out of the democrat side of the race, i'd say there must be a fair amount of people who think the country IS ready.

besides that--india has a female president. england has had a female prime minister. if they can cope, i think we can manage it too. as to barack--well, he's who i'm voting for.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

meg wrote:besides that--india has a female president. england has had a female prime minister. if they can cope, i think we can manage it too. as to barack--well, he's who i'm voting for.
India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and the UK have all had female Prime Ministers. (The UK's was lame, but anyway...)
Germany has a female Chancellor. Argentina has a female President. Romania has a female Prime Minister. Argentina and Romania's heads-of-state are also really attractive, but anyhow...

India's current Prime Minister and President are both religious minorities, as well.

This race is increasingly becoming not about ethnicity or gender. You can see that with how Barack has never been using the race card in any of his statements. A lot of that is because he knows he has to bank on having appeal across all demographic groups.

And what do you know, that's exactly what he's been doing.

Folks like to say that "the country isn't ready" for whatever. But, Barack is winning, he is incredibly popular, and he does have the best shot at the White House. I'm looking forward to an Obama-McCain race; it'll be the most interesting presidential campaign in decades. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The people asking the questions like "is America ready for a ___ president?" often have an interest in making the answer negative. It's come up so much that I can't find the article I read a few months ago detailing how far behind the US has been with regards to female leadership as compared with other countries (as Kizyr mentioned) because there have been so many OTHER articles on the general question. It might have been this one, but I don't think so:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... PDSG31.DTL

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You know, I'm actually curious what people think of McCain. We've heard all the Obama vs. Hillary talk for months. IMO, McCain was at least one of the better Republican candidates, and seems willing to work with Democrats on some issues and compromise more than many current Republican's. (something I like, since I really sit the fence on so many issues)

I do like Obama more than Hillary on the Democrats side. And regardless of the issues, I do have to throw it out there that Obama is one hell of a speaker. Easily the best out of all the candidates on both sides in that regard.
-G1

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I think you have not heard much from McCain is because he is a Republican and most of the people are sick of Republicans because of Bush so the media is focusing on the Democrats more because that is what the majority want to see

But I for one would think he would be a good president mater of a fact I think they all would make a good president for the first time for as long as I can remember this elections is the best because no mater what happens we will have a good president :)

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

mccain is my second favorite republican. my first favorite being arnold schwarzenegger (sp?). arnold, because he actually seems to listen to his constituents.

i would love this race to be obama vs. mccain. love love love. my issue with mccain is that he IS a republican, and there are certain issues i care very much about--such as women's reproduction rights--that republicans have, on the whole, done their best to butcher because they cater so much to the religious right.

that, and he's pretty much vowed war forever, right? i'm hoping that that was an empty campaign promise.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

meg wrote:my first favorite being arnold schwarzenegger
Anyone who can win anything pertaining to bodybuilding is very intelligent and knows a lot about perseverance. Watch the movie Pumping Iron. He's a shining example of the kind of person you'd want running others. He has a great appreciation for life, loves this country and just wants to give something back.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

lutomboy wrote:I think you have not heard much from McCain is because he is a Republican and most of the people are sick of Republicans because of Bush so the media is focusing on the Democrats more because that is what the majority want to see.
Well, you're partially right. It is about what the majority wants to see. However, the reason that you haven't heard much about McCain is that the Republican primaries have been pretty one-sided lately. The Democrats' primaries have been much more exciting. More exciting = More viewers = More money

Out of curiosity, who do you guys feel will make good running mates for the various candidates? I doubt that Huckabee will be chosen as McCain's running mate since Huckabee only really appeals to the religious right, and I really can't see them voting for a Democrat, not matter how much they dislike McCain.

I could see Edwards being Obama's running mate. They both have really good charisma, and I wish Edwards had been the 2004 candidate.

I don't know who would be a good fit for Hilary. Probably, Obama, but I don't know if that will happen as bitter as their rivalry has become lately.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

meg wrote:mccain is my second favorite republican. my first favorite being arnold schwarzenegger (sp?). arnold, because he actually seems to listen to his constituents.

i would love this race to be obama vs. mccain. love love love. my issue with mccain is that he IS a republican, and there are certain issues i care very much about--such as women's reproduction rights--that republicans have, on the whole, done their best to butcher because they cater so much to the religious right.

that, and he's pretty much vowed war forever, right? i'm hoping that that was an empty campaign promise.
Those are my main issues with McCain as well. And I generally like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'm stuck between Obama and Clinton. Some issues that I find important (addressing the national debt, medicare, and social security; same-sex marriage, so on) I do not agree with either one, or I have not been able to find them addressing the issue. It seems like Obama has a stronger stance against the Patriot Act, but I do not see how Clinton is not against it, even though she originally voted for it.

And I refuse to decide based on either charisma or experience without any other justification; both are, in their way, important, but neither should be the only thing I consider.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Sonic# wrote: And I refuse to decide based on either charisma or experience without any other justification; both are, in their way, important, but neither should be the only thing I consider.
I've mentioned charisma several times during this topic, so I'll respond to that. At this stage in my life, I already know which party represents my political ideology best. I want the candidate that is most likely to win nominated in my party. That candidate is usually the one with the most charisma-- the one who is best at getting his/her message at out to the masses. Of course, I do analyze some of what the candidates believe in too. Usually though, the two candidates are close enough policy-wise that I just vote for which one I think has the better shot at the general election.