The hardest weekend of my life

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The hardest weekend of my life

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I don't think anyone here knows this about me, but the sport of Judo is a major part of my life. I started when I was 12 years old (I'm 26 now), and I've gotten to the rank of third degree brown belt. It completely changed my life for the better, and I am frightened by the thought of the person I would be if not for it.

That said, this past monday, the head coach of my club, Brett Wood-Taylor, lost a 3.5 year battle with cancer. He has influenced me positively more than anyone else I'm not blood related to. He was the greatest example of kindness, selflessness, humility, and perseverance you could ask for. He taught me to believe in myself. Everyone in our club was extremely close to him, and I was practically one of his kids. And I was just one of the many, he had touched hundreds (if not thousands) of lives.

So this weekend was the process of saying goodbye. The visitation had the whole judo family present. I saw many current friends, and many people I hadn't seen in 10 years. We're all so close, that I could count 2-3 dozen people that would be perfectly welcome if they showed up on my doorstep saying that their house had burned down. I almost broke down when I met, and hugged, his wife and kids (also very much family to me). I NEVER cry.

I can't really describe the feeling of loss. I can't shake the feeling that, this is too soon, it's before his time (he was 57). My children will never know one my life's greatest benefactors.

In a way, I also feel lucky for the timing of things. I just came off a 5-6 year hiatus from judo in february, and I had a chance to go see him before he passed away. If I hadn't gotten back into it, and if I had just heard of his death from the paper, I can't imagine how much harder it would have been to deal with than it is now.

And now, onwards. At least we had a good example to follow...

The picture is him and I on the day I got my brown belt, from june of 1999.
Attachments
brett2.jpg
brett2.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 7530 times

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: The hardest weekend of my life

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

TaoTeCheese wrote:I NEVER cry.
This is unhealthy. Don't keep it in.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My sympathies.

57 is a young age to die, but it isn't that young. He's had plenty of time to grow up, branch out, and have a family, both with his wife and with his students. And... yes, he should've had more time to enjoy all that, but it might be some small consolation.

I had a favorite teacher of mine get killed by her ex-husband last year. Now that was an utter surprise, both for her... and from him. (I also had him for a teacher, and he was decent.) Crying about it is alright...
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Sonic# wrote:My sympathies.

57 is a young age to die, but it isn't that young. He's had plenty of time to grow up, branch out, and have a family, both with his wife and with his students. And... yes, he should've had more time to enjoy all that, but it might be some small consolation.

I had a favorite teacher of mine get killed by her ex-husband last year. Now that was an utter surprise, both for her... and from him. (I also had him for a teacher, and he was decent.) Crying about it is alright...
Why did he kill her?

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

I'm really sorry about your loss... Thank you for sharing this with us.
Depend On You Changed My Life.