Need help: TV-to-Computer connection

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Need help: TV-to-Computer connection

Post by Kizyr »

Here's the thing... In case we do have a third Lunar panel at Otakon, I want to have some videos from Magical School Lunar to play.

I have some saves on my Saturn for a couple of my favorite points in the game. The only problem is that I need video on my computer in order to show it. So, I need some suggestions on how to get what comes on my TV screen into an AVI/MPG/MKV file.

Money isn't a problem provided it's on something that I can continue to use and is a reasonable price (e.g., getting a DVR). I already have a digital camera, but actually using it to record my TV results in awfully low quality. The only other option is to try and play MS:L on an emulator and get up to the same point, which will take a long time on account of the slowness of the only emulator I've gotten to work.

So, any help? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Need help: TV-to-Computer connection

Post by HiroOne »

I'm not sure if this is a perfect solution but there is a device called Dazzle which allows you to connect your tv, vcr, or dvd player (and likely video game consoles) to your PC and record on the fly. It's mainly used to turn home videos into dvds, but I'm sure there's a step where it records it as a video file on your PC first. I work at staples and we sell it at my store. I hope this helps =] See'ya at Otakon

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

So you want to record videos of those sections of the game? Then Dazzle is probably your best bet. I recommend having another set of AV cables/S video cable to have connected to your TV so you can see what you are recording from your TV. The program Dazzle comes with gives you a small live preview of what you are recording, but it tends to lag and fall behind (the video that is recorded will not be laggy though, it's just the live preview that lags.).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Thanks folks! I found a little tutorial here (for X-Box, but same idea) that mentions this after running a search for "Dazzle":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVH1_9Hh ... re=related

I'm going to go pick one up this afternoon. I'll let y'all know how it works out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Well, if you cant get that to work I dont really know how to do what you're asking but I have a possible alternative. If you can upload the saves onto your computer, you can connect your PC to to your computer with an S-Video cable, easy to find at most electronics stores. Then, you can load up an emulator and display your saves on the television while playing them on the computer.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"