Square Enix $600,000 lawsuit.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Square Enix $600,000 lawsuit.

Post by Alunissage »

I don't know much about FF6, but what comes to mind when I think about the name Celes and references to earth is Ceres -- name of a large asteroid / dwarf planet (thus "Space Station Ceres" in Super Metroid) and motherly Roman harvest goddess from whose name we get the word "cereal". I would guess there isn't a direct relationship between Ceres and celestial, since the Latin word for heaven is caelis. Anyway, what's Celes's name in the Japanese game?

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

All I'm saying is that her official name has always been Aerith. Square never changed anything. They always romanized her name as Aerith. Perhaps, calling it a translation error on Sony's part was incorrect. However, Aeris is still wrong according to Square(it's not what they named her), and was never her official name. That's all I'm getting at.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Her name was Serisu in the original Japanese. Can anyone with knowledge in Japanese tell us if there is significance in the word?

I honestly don't know if this connection was intended, but I think it's only natural that (some) people would make it since Terra and Celes are in many ways foils. Obviously, this connection didn't exist in the original Japanese since Terra was named "Tina" in the Japanese version.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

All I have is that I've seen merchandise featuring Aeris with the named spelled: Aeris. If Square really cared about her name, they'd have corrected it immediately if there was anything to correct, instead of waiting years before bothering.
As far as I'm concerned, Aeris and Aerith are both acceptable, but Aeris is the name I grew attached to I will continue to call her Aeris.

About the sword: it sounds like Square is just being a whining ninny.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

For whatever reason, I always assumed that Celes' name was taken from Ceres, and that "Serisu" was just like a Japanification of "Ceres." Then when they put it back into English they just transliterated it as Celes. I have no idea where I got that though, I may have read it somewhere and then just logged it away.