Job debating

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Job debating

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

My local Gamestop is hiring for an assistant manager, which would be full-time with benefits, 35 hours a week minimum. I currently work part time, no benefits at Best Buy with about 31-32 hours a week (which is the most a part timer can get) but you never know if hours will be dropped or not there and I've been there for a year and a half or so. I kinda like working there but the GS is a smaller store and easier to maintain. I used to hear some bad things about working at GS but wondering if things have changed there since. Especially with how things are these days, having a sure bet full time job would be nice, but just debating if I want to make the switch or not.

Any opinions, advice? ^^
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Job debating

Post by Alunissage »

I've never worked retail, but benefits = good. You never know when life is going to kick you in the teeth.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've never known anyone that's worked management there, but my friends who have taken summer jobs there have been okay with it. Work is work is work.

I'd take the full-time and benefits. No question. You may be afraid to give away a job that you may be somewhat comfortable with for an unknown that may suck. But in this case the risk is quite acceptable.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Apply and see what happens. If you are hired, maybe you can re-work your schedule at Best Buy for a couple weeks to see if you like the new job. If not, quit. If you do, quit Best Buy. Or work both for as long as you can, thats always fun (but draining).

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Go for it.

I actually dislike both Best Buy and GameStop, but I dislike GameStop much less. If you can get a better position, with benefits, especially right now, then go for it.

Here's one major question: at which place do you think you'll be happier? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

My sister used to be an assistant manager at a GS a few towns away. She said that she loved it. I have heard goods things about GS from my sister, but I've also had my own personal good GS experiences (I haven't worked there, but I go in there all the time).

The guys in there are always nice to me and I've only one semi-negative experience. They lost my pre-order CD to a game, but they were nice about it.

I say if you feel up to it, then go for it. All GS are different, so I don't know if yours will be as good as mine. I've heard all sorts of negative experiences a long time ago about GS online, but I have yet to experience anything horrible.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

That's really the question. I'm okay with Best Buy and I like the people there, in general. They put me in a more sales-heavy department (computers) though I was more comfortable in gaming/music/movies, but it meant I got more hours. It is more pressure where I am, though. There's basically a laundry list of things we have to mention and offer whereas offering magazine subscriptions and preorders doesn't seem as big a deal.

I think the biggest thing I'll miss if I go GS is the Best Buy discount, which is 5% above cost (cables are dirt cheap. An hdmi cable is 5 bucks for us). I asked around and the one thing I heard that's a pain with GS is scheduling and getting time off, so I dunno.
Kizyr wrote:Go for it.

I actually dislike both Best Buy and GameStop, but I dislike GameStop much less. If you can get a better position, with benefits, especially right now, then go for it.

Here's one major question: at which place do you think you'll be happier? KF
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

If you have no benefits otherwise, I would suggest the move to Gamestop. While you may miss a small Best Buy discount, if you have no insurance any accident can instantly drain any rainy-day money you may have should the unthinkable happen. And the money you could use in benefits would be a great deal more than a good discount at Best Buy.

But should you choose to leave Best Buy, leave as amicably as possible so if things at GS don't work out, you have a positive track record with a previous employer which could act as a great segue should you ever hope to return.

I myself have had many more poor experiences with GameStop than Best Buy, but it's all up to the individual managers and staff you work with, if you feel you know the store and staff, then your odds of getting along well at the business are greatly increased but as Kiz said, follow what you believe you will be happiest with.

One things I heard from a friend which worked at a GameStop is there are quotas for pushing the magazine subscription (AKA Advertisement delivery system) as well as pre-orders, and a person unable to push them could face difficult times with a manager or even get let go, but this was only one branch over here in Orange County which certainly doesn't speak for the whole chain. Just another thing to be made wary of.

Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.