And you thought American realitiy TV was bad...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

And you thought American realitiy TV was bad...

Post by Aaron »

So much to comment about in the news this week. But I thought that in light of all the serious topics lately this was light-hearted enough for everyone to throw in their two-cents. Yet it is also deep enough to generate meaningful conversation.

So basically there is this Japanese show called: Panic Face King. It is kinda like Jackass but also a bit more like Howie Mandels How we do it.

What happened was someone decided that they would create a fake sniper attack. Which can be seen here.

Unfortunately what is supposed to be funny turns out to be gut wrenchingly sad and horrifying. (Although, I don't see how any of it was funny). Besides the video and audio of the clip there is also an insert of laughing Japanese in the corner.

What do I think of it? I think that it is over the top, and whoever thought of it did it because they're complete attention whores. I would argue that the guy definitely has a lawsuit available to him.

When compared to American reality shows this isn't something that's new. There have been fake deaths/murders on reality shows before but I don't think in the form of a sniper attack.

I think the sniper attack adds a vicious and sadistic element to it. But I think the kind of audience that likes that kind of entertainment hasn't really changed in 2000 years. It reminds me of gladiator combat and the thrill of spilled blood as sport. Makes me wonder how much longer until we do have some sort of a blood sport on TV.

I think reality TV is evolving into something that is getting more and more violent. Makes me glad I got rid of my TV years ago. But with the fusion of internet and media it is hard to avoid these things.

Anyway, what do you think?

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: And you thought American realitiy TV was bad...

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I don't know dude. I found it immensely amusing. But, I do have a pretty morbid sense of humor. It might be pushing the line a bit considering how long it took them to reveal it was just a prank, but seeing the guy drop to the floor and shuffle towards the door so he wouldn't get shot? Hilarious. But that's just me.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My standard for the limits any prank should respect go by the Golden Rule: if I would hate to have it happen to me, then I wouldn't like it. I'm fairly free about having pranks done to me, since my family has spent the last twenty four years doing them to each other.

But when someone's life is threatened, is that supposed to be entertainment?

No, they weren't really in direct danger of being sniped. But still, they thought they were in danger. There's still going to be a lot of trauma and stress associated with the event. I can see how it'd be funny if it were a movie, and everyone was in on it and being goofy. But as a prank, it's vicious.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Aaron wrote: When compared to American reality shows this isn't something that's new. There have been fake deaths/murders on reality shows before but I don't think in the form of a sniper attack.
Really? What are your examples of this?

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

There was this show on the Sci-Fi channel called Scare Tactics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_Tactics

I remember one episode where they tricked this guy into thinking his potential boss was a serial killer. (by leaving body parts around). The guy went ballistic and started beating the crap outta the actor. Then people who were obviously staff for the show rushed in to stop him and explain he's on a hidden camera show.

Also on the Howie Mandel show there was a kid who was tricked into thinking he gave an old man a heart attack and died. The prank was to give the man a haircut but then squirt fake blood all over his forehead. The guy didn't know the old man was an actor and he faked a heart attack and the kid freaked he started crying and was about to throw up.