Quark's random & unsolicited advice to his Lunar-Net peeps

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Quark
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Quark's random & unsolicited advice to his Lunar-Net peeps

Post by Quark »

Hello all,
I posted the following information on another thread a while ago. Since the information is probably more appropriate in a separate thread, I am providing it again. This is helpful information to have to protect yourselves from scams and identity theft. I also provide some steps to take if you ever feel that you have been victimized. Why am I discussing this? Because Lunar fans need to stick together :wink:

As some of you have mentioned, freecreditreport.com is not actually "free". This sort of advertising is highly deceptive, and honestly companies like this should be shut down. annualcreditreport.com is the place to go for a free copy of your credit reports as I believe someone already mentioned. This site receives grants from the government to offer this service.

A couple things I think everyone should know.
1) You are legally entitled to one free copy of your credit report every year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.

2) Since each of these reports contains very similar information, it is not a bad idea to stagger your requests if you want to monitor your credit regularly. In other words, you could order your credit report from Equifax in February, from Experian in June, and from Transunion in October. This way you can monitor your credit for suspicious activity three times a year.

3) Besides annualcreditreport.com, it is also possible to call the credit reporting agencies and order copies of your credit report. This is especially helpful for those of you who have people in your life who do not have access to the internet or are not computer literate.

4) If you notice suspicious activity when you review your report, you should consider placing a "fraud alert" on your account with the credit reporting agencies. A fraud alert will monitor your account for 90 days, and you will be notified of any activity associated with your credit.

5) If you regularly have problems with your credit, you can ask for a "credit freeze". This is a more drastic step than the fraud alert and freezes your credit so that no accounts can be opened without calling you first and asking a series of security questions. This will prevent a lot of fraud but will also make you have to prove who you are whenever you legitimately want to open an account or get a credit card.

6) If you ever feel that you have been the victim of identity theft, you should consider some further steps than what has been outline above. File a report with your local police. This step is very important. It is not important because the police department is necessarily going to find the culprit. It is important because it will serve as evidence if you are victimized again in the future. Also, cancel and renew all your accounts. You may want to consider contacting the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline for further advice. You also may want to notify the Social Security Administration.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Quark's random & unsolicited advice to his Lunar-Net peeps

Post by Quark »

By the way, I will post an update in a couple of days with the phone numbers for the agencies that I have mentioned. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Also, if any of you find these sort of topics interesting, I can try to post regular updates on consumer protection related issues. I have noticed over the years that Lunar-Net members have a lot of talent. Some are great artists, while others seem to have a strong information technology background. I have none of these skills and cannot contribute much in that respect. However, this is one area where I may be able to make some valuable contributions.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I've actually got a better way to do this, but if someone wants help with it, I'll let them PM me.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Angelalex242 wrote:I've actually got a better way to do this, but if someone wants help with it, I'll let them PM me.
A better way to do it that doesn't involve paying for a service to monitor your credit for you?

Anyway, the best protection is always prevention. There are many rules to follow that minimize your risk of being victimized in the first place.