Diabetic Pets

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Karthur
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Diabetic Pets

Post by Karthur »

Yoda, one of my five kitties, was recently diagnosed as a diabetic. He's an 8-year-old domestic short hair with gray tiger markings. He's a sweetie and even saved my life by retrieving my asthma inhaler from under the bed while I was having a bad attack, so if he needs insulin, he'll get insulin.

Has anyone else here ever had a diabetic pet? I'm still new to all this injecting and blood testing. Fortunately, Yoda is very trusting and will sit there while he gets his shots.
"Even if I close my eyes the world will not disappear." -- Mathiu Silverberg, Suikoden I

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: Diabetic Pets

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm a Type 1 Juvenile Diabetic, but I've never dealt with a Diabetic pet. I could imagine how difficult it is for the pet to receive injections, and I think at some point they will realize the need for the insulin and get used to the routine. Do you check your cats blood sugar, or do you just give a set amount of insulin?

Karthur
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Karthur »

I give him 1 unit of insulin a day, but the vet diluted it in a 1/10 ratio so it's easier to draw. I need to talk to the vet about that, because apparently we shouldn't be diluting Lantus as it's really slow acting.

I test his blood, but not every day. Right now, the vet has me doing 3 tests a day for 3 days so we can get his curve right.

Funny thing...Yoda sits still for the injections but doesn't like the "pop" sound of the lancet when I test. Do you know of any that don't "pop"?
"Even if I close my eyes the world will not disappear." -- Mathiu Silverberg, Suikoden I

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Geez, 1 unit of Lantus diluted? I don't know what the normal rate for glucose in a cat would be though. I don't know of any lancet pens that won't make a sound because it's basically launching from the spring retracting and releasing. Poor kitty.

You would manually have to use a lancet to prick his paw without the sound, but you can't control the depth of the puncture.