Yamaha NeoHD subwoofer.......

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Yamaha NeoHD subwoofer.......

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

I was recently looking for a new surround sound receiver and I came upon the Yamaha NeoHD receiver. I found it pretty cheap on Newegg.com ($100, was $500) but I was wondering about the subwoofer in/out port. Right now I am using my older 12" subwoofer that isn't powered and still uses the two polarity wires to plug into either side. The Yamaha version uses a 1xRCA x 1xRCA to plug into it. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone know about a cable that can use a 1xRCA x 2-wires? My subwoofer is the best one I have ever used and is super powerful and I would rather not replace it if I don't have to. Link to the receiver is posted below in case anyone wants to check it out. I think its worth it due to the fact that it's only $100 right now.
Thanks
-WKL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882115211

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Yamaha NeoHD subwoofer.......

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

WhiteKnightLeo wrote:Right now I am using my older 12" subwoofer that isn't powered and still uses the two polarity wires to plug into either side. The Yamaha version uses a 1xRCA x 1xRCA to plug into it. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone know about a cable that can use a 1xRCA x 2-wires? My subwoofer is the best one I have ever used and is super powerful and I would rather not replace it if I don't have to. Link to the receiver is posted below in case anyone wants to check it out. I think its worth it due to the fact that it's only $100 right now.
Thanks
-WKL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882115211
First off, it's not the sub that's so powerful, it was the stereo driving it. Two, to continue using that Sub with that new receiver you'll need a Sub amp to power it. Depending on what you were using to power that Sub before, you could just run an RCA cable to your old stereo that was running that sub and use IT as a Sub amp. This is assuming however that the receiver or what have you that your replacing HAS RCA in.

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

I guess what I was getting at is that the receiver's sub port is an RCA but my subwoofer uses speaker wire.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

The receiver has RCA because it is a NON Powered Sub-out. Your Subwoofer uses just positive and negative speaker wire because it needs to go to a stereo or Sub Amp to be powered. The only thing the RCA Sub-out on the Yamaha is for is going to whatever device is powering your Subwoofer using a single RCA Cable.

Basically it will look like this in the end:

Yamaha NeoHD (Subout RCA Port) -> RCA Cable -> Subamp (RCA Input) -> Subwoofer (Speaker wire)

Without some kind of amp for that Sub you will not be able to use it with that receiver. Examples:
http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/amps-all.htm
You can do what I've done and use a normal stereo as a Sub Amp, then it would simply be:
Yamaha NeoHD (Subout RCA Port) -> RCA Cable -> Stereo (RCA Input) -> Subwoofer (Speaker wire)

Hope this helps clear that up.
Also RCA connectors are just two wires, with RCA ends, the reason the Sub-out is RCA is so people don't mistakenly do what your looking to do and then wonder why their Subwoofer doesn't work. It must go to some kind of Amp then the Subwoofer.

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

Idk my receiver for my surround now just has the one with speaker wire so I guess I am just accustomed to having it readily accessible. The receiver that I am using now has the sub out as a brown and black wire plugs. Damn Yamaha :p

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

That's right, your current receiver is powering that Sub, it doesn't technically have a "Sub-out" as it just passes signal to whatever speaker(s) are hooked up. Depending on what inputs your current receiver has (just need one RCA in) you can use it for a Subamp like I was saying, you'll just have to use an RCA between the two and keep your Subwoofer connected to your current receiver.

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

K, I think I got it. Thanks alot. Don't happen to know where I could find the 2.1 full surround that Yamaha makes do you? In their video for the product it said that you could buy a 2.1 that would make it sound like a 5.1.
I was thinking about buying a pair of Klipsh KB-20 bookshelf speakers.
Thanks again.
-WKL