New Member...^^;;

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
Asmodean
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Asmodean »

I LIKE JUICE!!

I usually buy a 100% White Grape Juice and drink one of those a day. They are yummy! Sometimes I switch it with Purple Grape juice or Cranberry juice or even Apple Juice! Also I'll throw in some Apple Cider if I am feelin' adventurous!!

WHOOT! Who needs booze when you have... JUICE!

...and I don't mean 'roids either!
ImageImageImage

Ramza Izlude
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Ramza Izlude »

Welcome to the board. :)

~Izlude~
My love steals my light and darkens my eyes.

~G.W.~

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I'm just saying that letting your kids have alchohal at a controlled level is better than them drinking themselves to death at some party, whether it be a highschool party of college party. To me, it's like teaching kids about safe sex rather than no teaching about it at all.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Personally, I'm with Kiz, I view alcohol somewhere between poison and piss. It's ruined, and continues to ruin many of my family and friends lives. My parents divorced the week of my high school graduation due to alcohol-related issues, and my grandfather is a man who is so bitter about his past that the few times he can sneak away from my grandmother and find booze, he turns into a nasty, violent, uncontrollable drunk. And now to see my brother and his friends who used to stand up to mindless partying begin to turn into the very thing they used to stand up against... well, sorry, but I have no desire for the garbage. I don't hate those that drink, but I do despise what it turns certain people into.
-G1

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I am absolutly with you G1! That is almost exactly what I would have said. I can't stand that some parents give their children alcohol instead of telling then to stay away from it.

"Live Smart... Live Longer..." ,Matt D. (NextGen) 8)
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I am absolutly with you G1! That is almost exactly what I would have said. I can't stand that some parents give their children alcohol instead of telling then to stay away from it.

Telling kids to stay away from alcohol period (and giving them good reasons to do so, as opposed to "stay away or else!") is perfectly reasonable. Of course, you as parents should also never touch the stuff, otherwise the kids will think you're hypocritical and then they'd be more interested in going after that "forbidden fruit" that their parents have access to, if for no other reason than plain curiosity.

I guess what I'm coming down to is this:

1) If you, as parents, are going to drink alcohol, then you should educate your kids properly about alcohol. If the kids want to try (don't force or pressure them to drink!) some wine or beer or a little whiskey even, let them have small to moderate amounts in your presence (in my case, my parents used to let me dip my finger into their whiskey to taste it a little when they had some) and teach them to respect the fact that too much alcohol is very, very bad. That should minimize the "forbidden fruit" association and hopefully teach them to be responsible drinkers should they actually like the stuff.

2) If you don't want your kids to ever touch alcohol, then you as parents should also never touch alcohol and explain to your kids why alcohol is bad. That way, you don't look like hypocrits, and your kids will probably respect your views on alcohol more.

Admittedly, neither of these is a perfect solution -- people being people, some will drink way too much no matter how much you educate them on either moderation or avoidance, and I'm sorry for anyone that has had to deal with it (and yes, even I, as a "let your kids try alcohol in your presence" person, have had some personal experiences with drunk people getting out of control -- and it probably is part of the reason why even when I do drink I drink relatively little, along the lines of one or two drinks at a party or with a meal, and only if I'm not going to be driving for a couple hours, at least).
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Admittedly, neither of these is a perfect solution -- people being people, some will drink way too much no matter how much you educate them on either moderation or avoidance, and I'm sorry for anyone that has had to deal with it (and yes, even I, as a "let your kids try alcohol in your presence" person, have had some personal experiences with drunk people getting out of control -- and it probably is part of the reason why even when I do drink I drink relatively little, along the lines of one or two drinks at a party or with a meal, and only if I'm not going to be driving for a couple hours, at least).

One of the reasons I did not drink as a teen was a certain fear of losing control. Back then, I had anger issues, and I was afraid I might lose control if I drank too much.

Of course, in the end it turns out that when I am drunk, I am a happy drunk :P I like to make jokes, play games, and eventually sing :) So it seems I had nothing to fear, but back then it seemed like a legitimate personal fear due to the personal issues I was having.

That's not saying that one should expect to get happy when they are drunk. Like many have said, alchohol is not for everyone, and it has different effects on different people. In more cases than not, sadly, it does have a negative effect on people, and thus creates dangerous situations. One time in college, a friend of mine and I had been just listening to music and drinking. He started getting mildly depressed about an old girlfriend, and suddenly decided he was going to drive to his home town two hours away to go see her. This was a bad idea on many obvious and personal levels, so as he got into his car...I jumped on the hood :P He started the car, threatened to drive off with me on it, but I knew he wouldn't. He got out of the car, and we went back inside and continued to talk and just hang out.

Like I said before, I agree with many of the other stated opinions that the first step in alchohol control lies with the parents educating their kids about it. I continue to believe that if one treates a kid with respect, and speaks to them like an adult with reasonable language, they tend to understand things and learn to make the correct, informed decisions.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

One time in college, a friend of mine and I had been just listening to music and drinking. He started getting mildly depressed about an old girlfriend, and suddenly decided he was going to drive to his home town two hours away to go see her.

Tis' why alchohol is labeled a depressent. It may make you happy, but when the happiness wears off you end up in a depressed state. I've seen it happen, and have had it happen to me as well. I'm a happy drunk, but after words I end up either crying or near the point of crying.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

phyco126 wrote:Tis' why alchohol is labeled a depressent. It may make you happy, but when the happiness wears off you end up in a depressed state. I've seen it happen, and have had it happen to me as well. I'm a happy drunk, but after words I end up either crying or near the point of crying.

I too usually feel the downer side as I begin to sober up (which is quite rapid once I cease consumption). My old routine of post drinking was to take a shower immediately, get into bed, and watch a specific set of movies til I fell asleep :)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Specific set of movies? Which ones pray tell?

And word of advice for people who watch movies when near the crying stage, do NOT watch Ladder 49.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

phyco126 wrote:Specific set of movies? Which ones pray tell?

Probably going to laugh at me, but I always started with Tenchi Forver (Tenchi Muyo In Love 2). Something about it always mellowed me. I rarely got past it, but if I did, I usually just popped a random anime DVD in.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Mmmmm, anime. Actually, I don't know about the Tenchi movies, I haven't seen the movies in so long I actually forgot what they where about. However, one of my favorite series (aside from DBZ) was the Tenchi. Tenchi in Tokyo, I didn't like as much, but the other two series was great.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

phyco126 wrote: Tenchi in Tokyo, I didn't like as much, but the other two series was great.

You are not alone. The fandom basically considers ToT to be the same kind of blasphemic crap as Dragon Song is for the Lunar series :twisted:

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Roas Atrades wrote:
phyco126 wrote: Tenchi in Tokyo, I didn't like as much, but the other two series was great.

You are not alone. The fandom basically considers ToT to be the same kind of blasphemic crap as Dragon Song is for the Lunar series :twisted:

The only thing I didn't like was the animation style. Other than that I liked how they created a different storyline. You know... it would be nice if I could the Tenchi series on DVD... how sweet would that be?!
ImageImageImage

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Asmodean wrote:The only thing I didn't like was the animation style. Other than that I liked how they created a different storyline. You know... it would be nice if I could the Tenchi series on DVD... how sweet would that be?![/color][/b]

Yet a third alternate storyline to the series was the last thing the fandom wanted at the time, when they were still putting off finishing the OAVs (which I am now becoming disappointed in. All I want is the choice at this point :P). The background, character relationships, and pretty much everything for ToT was just a poor cut and paste job, with over the top character emotions having all of the characters' worst and best traits over exagerated.

Roas

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Asmodean wrote:The only thing I didn't like was the animation style. Other than that I liked how they created a different storyline. You know... it would be nice if I could the Tenchi series on DVD... how sweet would that be?![/color][/b]

Yet a third alternate storyline to the series was the last thing the fandom wanted at the time, when they were still putting off finishing the OAVs (which I am now becoming disappointed in. All I want is the choice at this point :P). The background, character relationships, and pretty much everything for ToT was just a poor cut and paste job, with over the top character emotions having all of the characters' worst and best traits over exagerated.

Roas

I remember the new OAVs coming out for Tenchi, but I haven't ever followed it from there. Is the continuation necessarily bad, or is it just so prolonged? With the first 13 (that I've seen), I'm not sure who I would like him to choose, but I like both Washu and Sasami/Tsunami. Washu tended to become more one-sided in the other two series though, and as far as I can recall, Tsunami wasn't brought over at all (or if she was, superficially).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Sonic# wrote:I remember the new OAVs coming out for Tenchi, but I haven't ever followed it from there. Is the continuation necessarily bad, or is it just so prolonged? With the first 13 (that I've seen), I'm not sure who I would like him to choose, but I like both Washu and Sasami/Tsunami. Washu tended to become more one-sided in the other two series though, and as far as I can recall, Tsunami wasn't brought over at all (or if she was, superficially).

The first DVD of the 3rd OAV came out last year, the next one will be out in September, and the last a month or so later.

It's not bad, fine actually. Just from a story telling perspective (as one who wrote his own 3rd OAV fanfic series) I disagree with the actual path and answers that the 3rd OAV gave us. Personally, I just feel it is rather weak as a final arc for this part of the series, plus they are continuing to not answer the big question of The Choice :P

Washu in the other continualities just became more mad scientist than anything else. Tsunami was not really present in any fashion, probably just a mythological figure in Universe, and nothing at all in ToT.

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

At this point, I don't think Tenchi could choose. He's lived with them and bonded with them for too long. At least, that was my interpretation the last time I saw a Tenchi series (which was a while ago).

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Wait, they are still making Tenchi series/movies/whatever it is?

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Dunkleheit wrote:At this point, I don't think Tenchi could choose. He's lived with them and bonded with them for too long. At least, that was my interpretation the last time I saw a Tenchi series (which was a while ago).

Oh, you are so wrong,my friend :) I've been watching this series for almost ten years now (I started in 97-98 with some Universe), and with the exception of the newest DVD, I have most of it memorized :P Tenchi has and will choose, for in interviews it has been revealed that Tenchi chose a long time ago, he just had to admit it to himself.

Also, in Tenchi Time, the girls have only been living in his house physically for only a little more than a year.

Wait, they are still making Tenchi series/movies/whatever it is?

Third OAV went into production a couple years ago, premiered in Japan, with the NA dubs/subs finally starting to come over here at the end of last year.