Oops how rude of me!

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
Wafrea
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Oops how rude of me!

Post by Wafrea »

Hello,
I've actually been posting a couple of days and I haven't introduced myself. Like most fans I assume I started off playing the Silver Star on Sega CD.

It was my neighbors as a child and ever night during the summer he got it I tried to invite myself to stay over. Lunar was in all aspects my first Rpg. The game never was beaten by me or my friend due to the fact of me moving away. However, I kept wanting to play! It would be almost 2 years before I got a Sega CD and Lunar Eternal Blue. That was quite possibly my best Christmas today...haha. I played that game non-stop until before xmas break was over I had practically beaten the game. I would stay up late and get up early to play EB. I looked up and asked my childhood friend if I could buy or borrow Lunar:tss. To my dismay and disgrace....he had scratched it beyond repair! I tracked down an old copy at a video story and I bought it for 15 USD! I beat that game before summer of that year came around. Eventually, I had read that the next port of Lunar (by Victor Ireland) would more than likely be for the Saturn. The next Christmas I asked for a Saturn, Shortly after King of Working Designs decided to port the game for America on the PSX. oh, how I hated that man. Regardless, Lucky for me I had a brother and he got a PSX the following year! I would go on to buy, play and beat Lunar :sss and Lunar:ebc.

Now, I have finished college and lucky this wonderful site was available that got me hyped up on playing them yet again! Back in 96 and practically through 01 I would search for other fans to discuss the games but I never found anything interesting really.
Thanks for the opportunity to share in your experiences as well and with any hope by the time done beating these games again we will know something of Lunar 3?!

My real name is Steve I'm 24.
Hope you enjoyed my dragon master experience lol!
Lunar :TSS & SSS
Lunar :EB & EBC
The only Lunar games worth playing

Nall-Ruby
Meryod Yokel

reply...

Post by Nall-Ruby »

Welcome to the Lunar Threads..... hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun...

Wafrea
Saith Pirate

Post by Wafrea »

Thank ya

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Oops how rude of me!

Post by phyco126 »

Wafrea wrote:The next Christmas I asked for a Saturn, Shortly after King of Working Designs decided to port the game for America on the PSX. oh, how I hated that man.
Don't hate Vic, hate Sega. :D

Welcome to the forums.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nall.TWK
Lostest Boy

Post by Nall.TWK »

I remember reading somewhere on the net that someone in charge of Sega Saturn of America at the time forbid most RPGs and games from Japan to be ported to the Saturn. That's no wonder Saturn didn't go very far. That I believe is the reason Lunar didn't make it. which is disappointing because I would've like to try the games on saturn. I still could, but they'd be japanese. And I do have an original copy of Lunar 2 EB for Sega Saturn. Just not the system.

oh, and welcome. I hope you enjoy it here. I liked it here since I joined.
君と私でヒューヒューあつい鼓動刻んだら可愛い猫耳つけて二人でゴロゴロしましょう♪

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Welcome to the threads! I remember the first time I played Lunar...it was a life changing experience. :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I remember reading somewhere on the net that someone in charge of Sega Saturn of America at the time forbid most RPGs and games from Japan to be ported to the Saturn. That's no wonder Saturn didn't go very far. That I believe is the reason Lunar didn't make it. which is disappointing because I would've like to try the games on saturn. I still could, but they'd be japanese. And I do have an original copy of Lunar 2 EB for Sega Saturn. Just not the system.
Sony initially had that policy. But FFVII changed that in a heartbeat. Also, if I remember right, some of the management at Sony early on went to Sega.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote:
Sony initially had that policy. But FFVII changed that in a heartbeat. Also, if I remember right, some of the management at Sony early on went to Sega.
Isn't the biggest reason Vic went PSX was because Sega gave them the finger at E3 or something?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Isn't the biggest reason Vic went PSX was because Sega gave them the finger at E3 or something?
That was the alleged reason, yeah.

After playing through the Saturn version of SSS, though, I honestly think that WD had intended to port the PSX version of Lunar from pretty early on--at the very least, since sometime before that whole E3 incident. There are too many differences between the Saturn and PSX versions (additional items, side-quests, etc., not to mention programming issues). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

Welcome to the forums steve :)
Success is measured not by the number of trials you overcome, but the difference you can make with what you have learned from them.~rpgman~
A single rose cna be my garde, a single friend my world ~I dunno~

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:There are too many differences between the Saturn and PSX versions (additional items, side-quests, etc., not to mention programming issues). KF
Well, that's interesting. Which side-quests weren't present in SSS?

Wafrea
Saith Pirate

Post by Wafrea »

Thanks everybody,

Yeah I remeber something about an E3 event, but I hadn't heard anything about them flipping Vic the middle finger. Well I guess I don't like sega then. Which really doesn't matter considering they don't make consoles anymore :P

Sorry vic!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, he doesn't mean it literally. I don't remember all the details of what happened at E3, but I think it had to do with booth space -- Sega had given WD space in their section for years and then that E3 they withdrew it with little warning, so there was nowhere for WD to set up their booth. I think Sony stepped in and gave them some space, which may have been the deciding factor.

The Sega guy was Bernie Stolar. I don't know if it was so much a firm policy about RPGs (Panzer Dragoon Saga came out, after all) but he was definitely contemptuous of the genre as far as likely success in America.

I don't know how likely it is that WD intended to port the PS games early on; would need to know dates that all that stuff happened. Don't think the PS version is that different from the Saturn MPEG one...? Not counting the bromide locations WD changed.