NightHobbit Here!

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
NightHobbit
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

NightHobbit Here!

Post by NightHobbit »

Hello Everyone!

I've been coming here off and on for a while and just decided I would join. I am a big fan of the Lunar series. Played it back on the good ol sega cd. Anyways, hope everyone is having a good day.

NightHobbit

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: NightHobbit Here!

Post by phyco126 »

Frodo.... Sam... Bah, hobbits.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

I was never really into LOTR personally but I have played the game...it was called "The Battle for Middle Earth" or something like that and it wasnt bad but then again I fall in love with just about any RTS game, things like Command & Conquer, ect.

Welcome NightHobbit. I am pretty new here too, just registered about a week and a half ago. It's nice to meet fellow Lunar fans...lord only knows how scarce we are.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Welcome to L-Net! *gives NightHobbit a cookie*

I've only seen the first 2 lotr movies, they were pretty good. I should actually get around to borrowing the third one from one of my friends... o.o

NightHobbit
Burg Farmer

Post by NightHobbit »

Yeah the movies are pretty good. The books are better. I just liked the name for some reason. Thanks for the welcoming!!
*breaks cookie into pieces and shares with new friends*

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

And the hobbit in your avatar almost looks like he's making his way through the cave of trial from TSS. Welcome, it's always good to have more people that, well, even remember what the sega cd WAS...

NightHobbit
Burg Farmer

Post by NightHobbit »

Thanks...I actually still have a segacd...but it doesn't work anymore...*sigh*

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Welcome fellow Sega CD old timer. :)

FYI, google around for it, but there are working Sega CD emulators out there. I saw a friend of mine play the original EB on one a couple years back.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

There is really Sega CD emulators????? Oh how I wish I knew about this sooner...I feel kind of left out not being a fellow Lunar Sega CD oldschooler, perhaps that will change now.

So just google it? Can you give a link?

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

GENS was a emulator I used a few years ago. It could play both Sega CD games and Sega Genesis games pretty well. I used my actual copy of TSS with it, and it worked flawlessly. ^_^

I've used both GENS32 and GENS. GENS32 is the newer version, so it worked better.

I know roms aren't aloud, but I believe we can post emulator links, right? If we can't post emulator links, then somebody can delete the link and I apologize for posting stuff I shouldn't be posting. :(

You can get GENS32 at: http://gens32.emubase.de/download.htm I used the secret version.

Also, you can't play the Sega CD games without the BIOS. The BIOS are illegal, so I know for sure I can't post that. You'll have to google the BIOS.

NightHobbit
Burg Farmer

Post by NightHobbit »

Kega Fusion is another genesis & segacd emulator. It was just updated also. I have SSSC and EB cds for psx that I am gonna play over Christmas break using epsxe.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I've had best results with Gens+ (that's what I used also when making all those screenshots with the US/Japan versions of TSS and EB, when documenting all the differences).

You may need to update your ASPI drivers if you find Gens(+) doesn't recognize your CD drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't play well with Vista, so I'm either out of luck, or I need to find a decent free way to create ISOs of my CDs to play them that way. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

I use Windows XP, heard Vista is pretty far away from actually being considered worthwhile (its infested with bugs and system errors) or maybe they fixed all that? I wouldnt keep my hopes up when it comes to Microsoft though. My system is updated as good as it can get, I'm no programmer but I know how to update drivers and keep my PC up to date and also how to install and use an emulator...I also use epsxe and the PSX emulator for playstation games. I tried using the PS2 emulator but its way too glitchy.

But anyway, thanks Dark_Fairy for the link, dont worry about the BIOS, those are pretty easy to find...so maybe now I can finally play those beautiful oldschool Lunar games that I've been wanting to play for ages.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The problems with Vista are way overstated. It runs pretty fine as long as you have at least 2GB of RAM. I've actually had very few problems with things not working, and no major bugs or stability issues like under XP.

I'm sure eventually someone'll figure a way to get the CD drive recognized again under Vista. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

NightHobbit
Burg Farmer

Post by NightHobbit »

The best free program that I know of to create iso's or any other format for that matter is ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/

I agree with Kizyr, it mainly got a bad rap from day 1 because you could take 2 identical computers, one with XP and the other with Vista, and the one with XP was noticeably faster. They have fixed several issues with SP1 but it looks like we will have to upgrade to Windows 7 to get Vista the way it should have been.

NightHobbit

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

Yeah they are more or less the same really, I just heard lots of bad things about Vista thats all but that was a loooong time ago so I'm sure its better now. I personally favor XP more because I play FFXI and it doesnt seem to work with Vista.

As for CD burning I either use PowerISO or Nero depending on the CD I'm using because some things burn easier than the other program.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:The problems with Vista are way overstated. It runs pretty fine as long as you have at least 2GB of RAM. I've actually had very few problems with things not working, and no major bugs or stability issues like under XP.

I'm sure eventually someone'll figure a way to get the CD drive recognized again under Vista. KF
I agree with Kizyr. The only problem I have with Vista is that sometimes the clock stops for a few minutes. But then, I just pretend that I can travel through time.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

egghead wrote: But anyway, thanks Dark_Fairy for the link, dont worry about the BIOS, those are pretty easy to find...so maybe now I can finally play those beautiful oldschool Lunar games that I've been wanting to play for ages.
You're welcome. ^_^

On the talk about computers, my laptop that I'm on right now is Vista and it seems to run pretty good. It doesn't run as good as XP, but its still fine.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

Werefrog wrote: I agree with Kizyr. The only problem I have with Vista is that sometimes the clock stops for a few minutes. But then, I just pretend that I can travel through time.
I do that without needing a clock...but yeah I usaully just end up looking at the regular clock anyway, so that wouldn't really bother me.

I think Vista is fine though and perhaps it may get better as time goes on whereas with XP, Microsoft will stop updating it faster since its older...so I'll eventually get it myself probably.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Welcome Hobbit!