Newb Alert.

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
Pitch
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Newb Alert.

Post by Pitch »

Hello all. My name is Pitch - or I wish it was anyway. I'm kinda new to Lunar - I've only played Legend, but I must say it rocked; though I hear the PSX version was even better, if that's possible. And... yeah, I was lookin for more info on the series, stumbled upon this wonderful site and here I am. So... hello.

--Pitch Image

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Welcome to Lunar Net, Pitch....Lunar Silver Star Story was folds better than Legend for so many reasons.
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Pitch
Nanza Bandit

Post by Pitch »

Thanks, but... Would you care to explain why? Because I played the game and thought it was really good. :? Did I miss something?

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Ahh...well...the battle system was more complex really...you could actually move your characters around the field and create strategies from there...SSSC was also much more difficult than LL...and... there are various other reasons, but I'm sure some one else'll fill you in...( most possibly Alunissage, the goddess of knowldege!...uh...sorry... )...or...someone...
Still, Lunar Legend is great...
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hehe. :oops: Actually, probably people who feel more strongly about SSSC and Legend would likely be better choices. Here are the major differences off the top of my head:

Battle system was much more interesting. The magic was about the same, but the direct attacks involved the party members running up to enemies and smacking them (and vice versa). Players had different ranges, so this could involve a lot of strategy. Balance was also much better, in part because there were far fewer stat-boosting accessories.

Boss stats were multiples of Alex's current level, so they tended to level up with the party. Of course, levelling up was still useful to learn more spells.

There were actual animated scenes, with voice. Pretty much all of the stills in Legend were full scenes in SSSC, including a song with CG as well as animation. Also, those three stills of Luna, Mia and Jessica are tripled or so in number. No cards, but looking for these pictures ("bromides") was a lot more fun.

The dialogue and characterization were much smoother and generally funnier. Drunks were also actually drunk on alcohol rather than chocolate or food. There's also a lot more text from incidental things such as books and other scenery.

Music was the same, but sounded much better. (It's best in the Saturn version, but that was never released outside of Japan.)

The beginning of the game, on Caldor Isle, is rather different, with Nash joining only in Saith, but the rest of the game story and such are about the same. A notable exception is the cave leading to Vane, which is a trial cave to admit people into Vane.

All dungeons can be reentered. I think.

Sprites are actually less attractive and detailed than in Legend. Backgrounds are better, not surprisingly.

There was a maximum of 15 save slots per mem card. Legend's 2 was an insult, considering the Japanese one had three.

SSSC is much less buggy. I can only think of a couple offhand, and very minor compared to Legend's.

Anyone have others to add?

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Nothing to add really... but yeah, the music in Silver Star Story was so memorable... to this very day I still can't get Meribia and Burg's song out of my head.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The difference between Lunar: SSS and Lunar: Legend can be summed up thusly: SSS was a game, Legend was a summary. Legend is more like an overview and vague recollection of the story in SSS, not to mention ridiculously easy.

It was still fun, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Scaley Quark > Fuzzy Quark
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Lunar Legend is like the kidy ride at the amusement part that has almost the same name as the huge rollar coaster that's towering int he air...SSSC would be the big rollar coaster with the 90 degree drop. :P

Welcome.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Pitch
Nanza Bandit

Post by Pitch »

Sheesh. I don't know whether to be mad because I really liked Lunar Legend - probably my favorite game ever now -, or to be thrilled that a better game exists. I hear Silver Star Story is harder to come by though... :(

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Welcome! And yeah, if you liked Legend, you'll REALLY like the LSSS! A few years ago it was re-released so there should be copies available somewhere. I've seen it for as low as $20 new (the re-issue, not complete) and as much as $50 on e-bay used. Good luck!

Jian
Reza Thief

Post by Jian »

Welcome to Lunar-Net Pitch!

I also loved Lunar Legend, but like everyone is saying SSSC is better. The music and the animated scenes are the main difference along with the gameplay. The graphics are different too. Both of them are awesome games.

Post by Guest »

You should also try to get Lunar EBC to it's cheaper than Lunar SSS :)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

It's also just as rare as Lunar SSS I bet.

Post by Guest »

Nah it's not that rare you can get it used for $20 or for $34 with all the extras Lunar EBC is easier to find to.