Hi Everyone

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
chilly
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hi Everyone

Post by chilly »

Hey Everybody! Guess what? I never played a Lunar game before, but was always interested in doing so. I want to know which is your favorite cause I plan on buying one but have no idea which one to get.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Definately start at the beginning. Either Lunar: The Silver Star on the Sega CD, or its Playstation remake, Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete. While Lunar 2 is a great game by itself, it makes many, many references to events of the first game, and you'll appreciate it more if you've played them in order.

Oh, and welcome to lunar-net. :)

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

Yeah start at the beginning or you will be lost young padwon.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Welcome! I would suggest the begginning as well.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Rino
Saith Pirate

Post by Rino »

Welcome aboard. I'd pretty much have to agree with everyone else. Start of playing SSSC on the PSX and then go onto EBC.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The PSX games are not the beginning. :P They might be considere a beginning, but they weren't the first made.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

SSSC was what made me so obsessed with the Lunar series. It was the first game I had ever played with any actual voice acting, and I instantly fell in love with it :D

meru
Reza Thief

Post by meru »

Hulloz. Welcome to the forums, listen to the mods, follow the rules, and you'll be fine! I think... :)
I wanted healing, attention, and love to gain. But you gave me hatred, abuse and pain.
-Meru

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

meru wrote:Hulloz. Welcome to the forums, listen to the mods, follow the rules, and you'll be fine! I think... :)

This site has no moderators, just administrators :P
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

meru
Reza Thief

Post by meru »

Okay. Sorry, I'm just a poor, helpless and defensless noob... :cry:
But, listen to the admins though!!!!
I wanted healing, attention, and love to gain. But you gave me hatred, abuse and pain.
-Meru

chilly
Meryod Yokel

Post by chilly »

Greensky wrote:SSSC was what made me so obsessed with the Lunar series. It was the first game I had ever played with any actual voice acting, and I instantly fell in love with it :D
What? they have voices? cool. I'll definately check SSSC out :D Thanks for the lil welcome everyone ^_^
Is it me or is it kinda chilly in here? ^_^

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Welcome to Lunar-net, Yes I would say start with SSSC but if you want my true opinion Lunar 2 is the far suprior game.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

chilly wrote:
Greensky wrote:SSSC was what made me so obsessed with the Lunar series. It was the first game I had ever played with any actual voice acting, and I instantly fell in love with it :D
What? they have voices? cool. I'll definately check SSSC out :D Thanks for the lil welcome everyone ^_^

Yup. They've got big ol' anime sequences, complete with voice acting. In the Playstation remakes, they do this really cool thing where they blend hand-drawn animation with computer-generated effects in some scenes, and the effect is very very cool.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Welcome! They also have a version of Lunar SSS for Gameboy Advance, but it's a more condensed, stripped down, limited... actually it'd be better to just play the Sega CD and PSX versions to start. :D

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

localflick wrote:Welcome! They also have a version of Lunar SSS for Gameboy Advance, but it's a more condensed, stripped down, limited... actually it'd be better to just play the Sega CD and PSX versions to start. :D

Oh yeah, there's an understatement. Lunar Legend is sort of the ugly stepsister of the Lunar series. It's family, so technically we're supposed to love it, but sometimes its invitation to family reunions gets, uh, lost in the mail.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Heh, I was always amused by how Squenix was all, "FF10 has voice-acting, wooooo"

Pshaw, it's been done.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Ideally, if you were able to play Lunar The Silver Star on the Sega CD, you would get the full experience between it, and it's remake. The original on Sega CD has a phenomenal fully orchestrated soundtrack, much better than Silver Star Story Complete on PlayStation. If you aren't able to play the original game, then start with Lunar: Silver Star Story on PlayStation, and then play Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I still find it funny that people say the music is much better on TSS than SSSC. I mean, I felt that the music on SSSC was really good. I guess the same is with songs with a bitrate of 92 and those of 320 :P I still don't notice a differance, or speakers, I still don't notice much of a differance between a 3 amp/watt/whatever speaker than a 80 watt/amp/whatever speaker.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!!!! There is only a world of difference between the original, and the remake. While some tracks in Silver Star Story are good, as a whole the original eats it alive, and poops it out into tiny nuggets now sold as Cocoa Puffs.

I'm sorry, but I think the original soundtrack is part of what made Lunar The Silver Star a complete package. It was epic! I just didn't feel that magic in the remake. While still an excellent game, Silver Star Story isn't as aurally pleasing :wink: to this true Lunar fan!

ZP
Pao Hunter

Post by ZP »

phyco126 wrote:I still find it funny that people say the music is much better on TSS than SSSC. I mean, I felt that the music on SSSC was really good. I guess the same is with songs with a bitrate of 92 and those of 320 :P I still don't notice a differance, or speakers, I still don't notice much of a differance between a 3 amp/watt/whatever speaker than a 80 watt/amp/whatever speaker.

The two Lunar Eternal Blue games were a bit like that, in that the soundtrack was usually the same, except on the Sega CD it was mono and had a low sample rate. It helped the game to fit onto one disk.

Lunar SSS's music wasn't based on that of the 16-bit version at all. It was completely re-composed and ended up a bit like Eternal Blue's soundtrack, but not quite as memorable. It may have been done for consistency but I still think of it as a great loss.