Good Metal

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Megalodon
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Megalodon »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:I don't want to seem like an -Albino Baboon-...so please don't take my first post as me being rude or anything, as I'm not trying to be. I'm VERY into Metal..and it seems a lot of you don't know a whole lot from my view when it comes to Metal I guess? I'm nto trying to be rude..so sorry again if I am coming off that way. :wink:

What is that we or someone in particular does not seem to know aboout Metal? There are many forms and subgenres of Metal and many different opinions and likes. I am just looking for some clarity. You didn't come off rude but maybe you can enlighten me to your observations.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

What I meant was that I see most people referring to these "Metalcore" acts, and things like that. And it seems like that's all they know..and that's really all there is in the mainstream right now. I can understand that for people that are maybe just delving in or whatever. The point is that there's a lot of better stuff out there. Also, people seem to have the wrong idea about the more true to form Metal genres...like Thrash, Speed, Black, Death, Power. (Not Euro Symphonic Flower Metal, haha)

Granted, 99% of Death Metal and Black Metal really suck..but there are some good things in there. Normally, I'd never share things with people because I don't think they deserve it...but here I felt that need to. So what I was going to suggest was me sharing some music with some of you guys on here. I think there's a lot of stuff you'd actually like if you realized what it was. Now..I'm not saying ALL of you know nothing....just to clear that up. I just think some of you have the wrong idea, or have been mislead about what something really is. I'm pretty much offering up free music to people...uh..and I'll keep it off the board, and keep it to PMs if anyone's itnerested.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

DragonmasterAndy wrote: Normally, I'd never share things with people because I don't think they deserve it...but here I felt that need to. So what I was going to suggest was me sharing some music with some of you guys on here. I think there's a lot of stuff you'd actually like if you realized what it was. Now..I'm not saying ALL of you know nothing....just to clear that up. I just think some of you have the wrong idea, or have been mislead about what something really is. I'm pretty much offering up free music to people...uh..and I'll keep it off the board, and keep it to PMs if anyone's itnerested.
Like? Did your top ten list you posted basically cover what you would want to offer?

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

My top 10 list is only my FAVORITE albums. That's not the same as when you share music with people.

I have a very wide array of things I have to share with people. It's not limited to just 10 bands or albums, or those styles ONLY.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

DragonmasterAndy wrote: Granted, 99% of Death Metal and Black Metal really suck

that sounds about right the only one that comes to mind is Behemoth, ever listned to them.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

Never said it was limited. I asked if it was included. If not then cool. What is it you have that is so great you would normally hoarde to yourself and not choose to share with others? I am a fan myself and ALWAYS looking for a new band. What do you have that is in a different style?

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

I've heard some Behemoth. It's decent, but they sound like they're trying to be like Nile nowadays. Early Death Metal is usually better than modern day DM, for me. But yeah, some of Behemoth's stuff is pretty good. That album Zos Kia Kultus is supposed to be good, but I've never heard all of it. I only have one song from that, and then I have their newer one because I was curious about it.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Megalodon wrote:Never said it was limited. I asked if it was included. If not then cool. What is it you have that is so great you would normally hoarde to yourself and not choose to share with others? I am a fan myself and ALWAYS looking for a new band. What do you have that is in a different style?
Well, there's just a lot of stuff that hasn't been heard by a lot of people. Try giving me a rundown of the bands you generally listen to(unless your top 10 explains that mostly). I don't usually share music because I don't think a lot of people can appreciate it. Just false music fans. It's not that way with just Metal..it's that way with all forms of music. Great is obviously subjective, and what I think is the best album ever, you might not like at all. I'm just offering up my services because there's a lot of stuff that I can show you. I'm not saying you haven't heard of any band that I listen to or whatever. Nothing like that. It's only like I said..I'm offering up my services.
If I had a good idea of what you like the most(which I assume is Death Metal), then I can show you some stuff that I think you might like.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

[quote="DragonmasterAndy"][/quote]
If I had a good idea of what you like the most(which I assume is Death Metal), then I can show you some stuff that I think you might like.

Yeah I am one dimensional I'll admit it. I have actually been trying to find a CD by a band called Funeral. MetalMonster from Ther Grimoire Of Exalted Deeds swears it is some of the greatest Death Metal ever. As far as I know they are not signed though and I cannot find it anywere.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Check out Immolation. You might like them. OR Cryptopsy? INSANE stuff man. I don't know what you look for in Death Metal? I could upload some stuff for you. Even some Death/Thrash. There's some good stuff in there.

One of my good friends had a band called Grimaced in Tucson. You ever heard of them? He recently ended the band and has another band called Empty Words now.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

I have never heard of Grimaced. The scene isn't to great here. I do like Immolation and have a couple Cryptopsy albums but they are a little too technical for me. It makes it hard to get into in my opinion. Their drummer is insane though and I am glad Lord Worm returned. Also, Behemoth does sound similar to Nile now but they are still doing their own thing and their new album is awesome. Great live act as well.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Dude, I know what you mean about Cryptopsy. But for me..it just took a few listens. It's like...once you "get it"..then it sounds beautiful. What do you think of more early DM mostly? I know you like Malevolent Creation and stuff..but that's all I saw. I personally think early DM is better than modern DM. I don't like a ton of DM though...so my opinion probably doesn't matter a whole lot. :lol:

Grimaced were the only real metal band for the most part that I had heard of from there.

I live in So. Cal, and there's like..a lot of generic bands that are trying to play old school Thrash Metal all over...and that's cool, but I think they can be more creative. I'm in a band and we throw a lot of elements in. I'd call us Progressive(Doesn't mean Prog, just means the music is progressive) Power/Thrash with DM and BM leanings sometimes. I don't have any material up for you to hear though..so yeah.

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

Incantation-Onwards To Golgotha, Autopsy-Severed Survival, Vital Remains-Let Us Pray, Paradise Lost-Lost Paradise, etc. Yes I agree when you get a Cryptopsy album you get it. My favorite song is Cold Hate, Warm Blood. I too lean towards older stuff but I have been listening to a lot of new stuff.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

i'm more of a thrash/Speed Metal guy myself, and I like early Power/ Speed Metal like Running Wild. I just hate when bands have crappy out of key solos...aka SLAYER. Most DM i hear is like that..I don't like that.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Megalodon wrote:I have never heard of Grimaced. The scene isn't to great here. I do like Immolation and have a couple Cryptopsy albums but they are a little too technical for me. It makes it hard to get into in my opinion. Their drummer is insane though and I am glad Lord Worm returned. Also, Behemoth does sound similar to Nile now but they are still doing their own thing and their new album is awesome. Great live act as well.
my friend recomended some imolation a while back iv forgotten about it what would u say is their best album. also , yes behemoth= sweet

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:i'm more of a thrash/Speed Metal guy myself, and I like early Power/ Speed Metal like Running Wild. I just hate when bands have crappy out of key solos...aka SLAYER. Most DM i hear is like that..I don't like that.
I do like Slayer's solo's but I also know what you are talking about. Corpse does it alot especially older stuff. I like both guess it depends on what the band sounds like. I actually think that may be why Jack Owen left, just got burned out. Have you heard the new Deicide? Nice solo's. What about the solo on Nile's latest album Annhilation of the Wicked, it's the first song on the album.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

I don't like Deicide or Nile really. In fact, I think Glenn Benton's a total douchebag. For good solos, I'd rather listen to Heathen, Agent Steel, and Artillery. That's all Thrash and Speed Metal though. I just generally don't like DM very much. I mean.. I like Cryptopsy and stuf..yeah. I like Death, Obituary, some Morbid Angel...

Then I like REAL(meaning the music has balls) Power Metal...not Europeon overly symphonic flower Metal :lol:

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

The real reason I brought up Deicide is because the Hoffman brothers are no longer in the band and their new Cd has a lot more solos and much better guitar playing. The now have Ralp Santolla. Good stuff. I saw Deicide recently Glen was pretty funny on stage. If you get a chance listen to "Dusk falls upon the temple of the serpent on the mount of sunrise" by Nile. Awesome solo's especially for Death Metal.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Oh, I've heard that entire Nile album. I just remember thinking the only thing good about it was the solos. :lol:

Megalodon
Student of Vane

Post by Megalodon »

exigence wrote:
Megalodon wrote:I have never heard of Grimaced. The scene isn't to great here. I do like Immolation and have a couple Cryptopsy albums but they are a little too technical for me. It makes it hard to get into in my opinion. Their drummer is insane though and I am glad Lord Worm returned. Also, Behemoth does sound similar to Nile now but they are still doing their own thing and their new album is awesome. Great live act as well.
my friend recomended some imolation a while back iv forgotten about it what would u say is their best album. also , yes behemoth= sweet
I think Unholy Cult is my favorite Immolation album. Close to a World Below is also awesome.