Silent Hill

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I played only a tiny bit of Silent Hill, and I watched bits and pieces of someone play it. I liked that the movie took essence from the atmosphere of the game and the in-game music. Obviously I would have liked more monsters popping up but it's too late for that. Some of my friends that have played the games were really disappointed with it, and as fans it's hard not to expect something amazing. I will say this, there is something that still sticks with me about the movie after having seen it.

I am also confused about the ending and I think it was left open-ended on purpose to drive you crazy. I was hoping for a theatrical release with multiple endings, much like the first game. I don't think I've seen any of the other games.

I liked Resident Evil, but it felt way too much like a ridiculous action/horror film and there was no strong story element which the games provide. The film series would be so much better with an involving plot and believable characters. Hopefully the third movie isn't an absolute mess and can focus more on a survival horror aspect. I doubt it....

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I played only a tiny bit of Silent Hill, and I watched bits and pieces of someone play it. I liked that the movie took essence from the atmosphere of the game and the in-game music. Obviously I would have liked more monsters popping up but it's too late for that. Some of my friends that have played the games were really disappointed with it, and as fans it's hard not to expect something amazing. I will say this, there is something that still sticks with me about the movie after having seen it.

Yeah, being a fan doesn't mean you'll love it, I hope I didn't come across that way. I think it's just another one of those movies that you either really like, or don't; I think few people will be inbetween.

I am also confused about the ending and I think it was left open-ended on purpose to drive you crazy. I was hoping for a theatrical release with multiple endings, much like the first game. I don't think I've seen any of the other games.

I think you may get your multiple endings still, they'll probably be on the DVD. I think the movie was pretty long as it was and to add multiple endings probably would've not only made things more confusing, but would've really made the movie too long. As it was, quite a bit of people were complaining it was too long :\ So again, I'm sure the DVD will have some awesome special features :D

I liked Resident Evil, but it felt way too much like a ridiculous action/horror film and there was no strong story element which the games provide. The film series would be so much better with an involving plot and believable characters. Hopefully the third movie isn't an absolute mess and can focus more on a survival horror aspect. I doubt it....

The thing that's already against video game adaptions to movies is that there is really no way for them to be as good as the game. You play the games for 20-30+ hours (sometimes longer when trying to find secrets and whatnot) and you are really pulled into that world and whatnot. Unfortunately, a movie can only do that so much since at most it'll be 2 hours. That's the real shame. Again, I think that's one reason why most fans aren't going to see the SH2 game as a sequel if there is one.

Speaking of RE, I watched the first one and it was just okay to me. I really liked RE2, but the others I couldn't really get into for some reason. Maybe because at that time I was more of a SH fan. I really wish that both RE and SH would focus more on the survival part. I mean, there was just TOO many people in SH for it to seem creepy you know? I guess during the games there could've been all those people in SH that we just didn't see... but I think it would've seemed more "survival" based if Rose had really been by herself more. Actually, I think it was more of the interferenc of the scenes with the husband that kind of took away from that. I think while by herself maybe Rose could've found some papers (perhaps in the school) in Silent Hill that told it's history, kind of like in the games how you find out what's going on as you make your way through the game. But maybe I'm just being too critical, I dunno. I do know, that I'll be willing to give a SH sequel a benefit of the doubt though. I'm SO glad I don't listen to reviews... because most of the ones I've seen have been bad - mainly due to the fact that the reviewers either don't like video games and/or have seen previous, horrible, video game to movie adaptations and based a lot of their opinion on that.

RubyFatale
Saith Pirate

Post by RubyFatale »

I wasn't so sure I wanted to see Silent Hill, but I think I'll take your word for it and go ahead and go. At first I was excited about the movie, but then I found out they replaced Harry with some girl. I played Silent Hill and got very attached to Harry. I just don't think it feels right to have a girl playing him... But oh well. I'll go see it regardless.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

RubyFatale wrote:I wasn't so sure I wanted to see Silent Hill, but I think I'll take your word for it and go ahead and go. At first I was excited about the movie, but then I found out they replaced Harry with some girl. I played Silent Hill and got very attached to Harry. I just don't think it feels right to have a girl playing him... But oh well. I'll go see it regardless.

Quite a lot of people felt the same way about Harry being replaced. For me, I think it could've been just as good if not better with a male lead. However, Rose was a good main character. I really thought she was going to be cliched, you know, always screaming and falling and all of that nonsense, and while she did do that it was believable and it made sense. :) Let's just say that there isn't a lady playing Harry, he's just been replaced, I think that Rose is a character unto herself. I don't think that she's necessarily better, but she's not bad.