Anyone else finished Harry Potter 6 yet?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone else finished Harry Potter 6 yet?

Post by Alunissage »

I finished it last night -- was slowed down from having to travel. Don't have anything in particular to say about it yet, just thought I'd see who else got it.

Coley Lou
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Coley Lou »

LOL, my roommate did. I saw him last night before I went to bed, and he's like "Did you get the book?" and I said "No I was going to wait until you finshed reading it and then borrow it." "Okay I'll go get it for you." "What? You're finished?" "Yes." "@__@ it's only been out for less then 24 hours!" "Read it in 18 hours." ".....lol I'll get it back to you in like three months XD"

He promised me it wouldn't piss me off as much as the fifth one did :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Yes, I finished it late last night. Pretty good, for also going to see a movie (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!). I didn't do very much else that day.

I don't have very much to say without putting spoiler warnings all over either, but... this was the most emotionally engaging read I've had in a loooooong time. And... well... yeah. The reasons why are apparent.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I finished last night a little before ten. The seventh book can't come soon enough.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

13 HOURS GIVE OR TAKE!!

I would have finished it the first night but I had to work!

GAH!! SO many questions!! I think things just changed a bit.

I loved it though.

The part right after the Quidditch match made me happy!!

And then there was the thing with that and what not!!

NEED... NEW... BOOK...
Last edited by Asmodean on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Coley Lou
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Coley Lou »

LOL, I need to stay out of this thread! :) I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying it though. I speed through these books but I've been working waaaaaaaaay too much! I'd bring it to work and read it while I'm working but... I dunno I can't really focus on it as much as I'd like to :) Whee!

Chris
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Chris »

I've never read a Harry Potter book in my entire life.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I will ask my coworker if I can borrow it when she's done. ^_^ I'm not quite ready to have large portions of my life sucked away since I have a lot of overtime coming up. :O
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

I bought it yesterday right when Borders opened. I finished the book a few hours ago. ^_^

Now I'm kind of sad...>_>;

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Asmodean wrote:

Yes, it made me very happy too! If I'm thinking of the same Quidditch match. Going in numbers never yelled? The first is key, but not the one I'm talking about, literally.

And I'm saddened, too. But I think for anything truly spoiling, we'd probably have to demark it first. Just need to be a little more awake.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Sonic# wrote:
Asmodean wrote:

Yes, it made me very happy too! If I'm thinking of the same Quidditch match. Going in numbers never yelled? The first is key, but not the one I'm talking about, literally.

And I'm saddened, too. But I think for anything truly spoiling, we'd probably have to demark it first. Just need to be a little more awake.

:: blink blink :: I'm catchin' what you are sayin'... I think... BUT YES!! That Quidditch match!!
So many good things!!!

I need to find someone to talk about this book with and not have to worry about ruinin' anythin'... I don't know anyone around here that likes the books as much as I do... I live with two people that want to read it... but that's just about it.
OH! My work was givin' out free Harry Potter glasses... so I read the book with them. That made me happy.

Wow... that's random.
ImageImageImage

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Chris wrote:I've never read a Harry Potter book in my entire life.

Thanks for sharing. :roll: Rather than cluttering this up, why don't you go post in some thread whose topic you actually know about?

It took me..hm, bought it around 1pm, finished it about 11 but I had a couple meal breaks and such...probably about 7-8 hours. And yeah, I really enjoyed it, and was pleased that I guessed both identities that everyone was wondering about (the title and the person who would die in it).

The above isn't a spoiler because that bit of info has been out since the last game. But now that we have spoiler tags it should be easier to keep from messing people up. Though if we want to get into deep discussion we should probably start a different thread for spoiler info.

My fiance's brother bought it and read it Saturday as well, but it's the only one in the series he's read so he's not really seeing the big deal. But he'll be visiting us for a couple weeks so maybe he'll read the other five at our place.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I have not read a Harry Potter book from start to finish since the first book came out so I decided I would go ahead and get this one, what with as much hype as it was getting. Unfortunately, a message board I frequent which shall remain nameless was spammed with topics containing a rather large spoiler.

Right now I'm debating on whether I should go ahead and get the book anyway, or just track down the other books that I have yet to read in the series first. The sense of urgency is gone now with me having been spoiled. No longer feel the need to finish the book with everyone else.

I just love it when entire message board communities band together in order to ruin books, movies, video games, etc. for everyone else. Don't you? :roll:
- Mike

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, if the threads are marked as spoilers, then it's understandable. When spoilers are in the title of the threads, or when an otherwise spoilerfree thread suddenly has them, it's pretty awful.

I definitely would recommend reading the previous books first, at least the fourth and fifth (and the second and third are so much shorter that you may as well read them first). The premises will be completely confusing otherwise.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Basically the entire board was flooded with identical topics with only minor changes so as to allow more than one to be posted. As to not post the spoiler here, I'll just say that it announced the 'event', what it was from, and the page number that it happened on. Needless to say, I was quite aggravated.

You're probably right. I dislike jumping into the middle of series because a majority of the plot is lost on you, so I'll go ahead and read the books in order. I might as well read the first again as well. It has been many years since I read it last.
- Mike

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

You Harry Potter geeks :P I havn't read any of the books, but I've seen the movies.

At work, we have like... hundreds of Harry Potter book posters in the back room. I can only imagine how we're going to give them out :shock:

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

ive only watched the movies =P

Post by Guest »

Akkk I was hoping it would get a delayed release like lunar:dragon song cause i was short on cash. though i did preorder Lunar:dragon song

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I just finished it. I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix now.

Okay book 6 made me cry so hard, but it was really good. I liked how she kind of changed the pace of the book. It was more relaxed until the end instead of being like ACTION ACTION ACTION, but it was still very interesting and good.

Oh and as for spoilers, I wouldn't worry about making any spoilers in this thread. Anyone who hasn't read it yet and wants to will know not to look here, this is the first time viewing this thread since it was made just because I didn't want anything spoiled for me.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Coley Lou
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Coley Lou »

Julie is right, I stayed away from this topic from the first intial posts after Justin said something about Quidich, I didn't want to have it spoiled for me. A friend's coworker almost ruined it for me.

I do have to say this though. SPOILER

[spoiler]The death at the end of the 4th book was a complete and utter shock. I know he was a very background character but the sudden abruptness of it just made me bawl. The death at the end of the 5th book had so much hype that I wasn't as affected when it happend, which was unfortunate as I did like the character. The 6th book's death, while not entirely suprising, I didn't guess who would and how it would happen, because I find no joy in guessing as I feel it ruins the surprise for me. This one disturbed me not so much because of the people involved but the circumstances :\ He trusted Snape through and through... often as I have put my faith in people who have let me down in a much less fatal way.... I didn't cry as hard as I did when Cedric died... but this one has depressed me.[/spoiler]