Favorite Films

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Favorite Films

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Here's a few of my favorites:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains": It's an indie film from 1981 that stars a 15-year-old Diane Lane as the lead singer of a punk band that quickly rises to fame and just as quickly falls out of public favor. The dialogue is refreshingly blunt (a lot of indie films get bogged down in pretentious "I'm not really talking about what I'm talking about" dialogue), and it features performances from members of The Clash, The Tubes, and The Sex Pistols in fictional punk bands. It says a lot about the nature of fame and the "riot grrl" scene.

"Requiem for a Dream": A movie about four people struggling with drug addiction and how it affects their lives. Ellen Burstyn is particularly great in it. It's absolutely brutal to watch, especially the last 20 minutes, and especially if you watch the director's cut version, but it's the sort of movie that I think everybody should watch at some point.

"Hedwig and the Angry Inch": This movie probably has one of the most bizarre premises I've ever seen in a movie. A man tries to escape East Berlin during the Cold War by marrying an American soldier, which requires him to undergo a sex change. The operation is botched, and he's left with an "angry inch" down there. He comes to America, is swiftly dumped by the soldier, and starts a band. The movie follows him narrating his life story, underscored by songs in his/her setlist (thus making it sort of a pseudo-musical). It's a very fun movie with lots of awesomely campy humor. Also I don't generally get emotional watching movies, but the end of this movie always makes me cry. Always.

"The Last Unicorn": Don't laugh. It's a great movie, with some good meta-commentary on the tropes frequently used in fantasy fiction. It's also shockingly violent and dark. In fact, now that I think of it, I can imagine people who enjoy the Lunar games to really like this movie; it has a similar balance of lighthearted dialogue/humor and dark themes. Bonus: music by the band America.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

One of my favorite movies is The Fifth Element, iv loved it since it first came out (i was only 6)
I also really like Howls moving Castle, the girl who lept through time, and the Blues Brothes.
Those are just a few of my favorites, Im a huge movie fan.

AirkRaven
Burg Farmer

Post by AirkRaven »

I have just one all time, top favorite movie:
Willow

There are too many that come in second for me to easily list them all, but here are a few to give an idea:

The Crow, The Usual Suspects, Serenity, LA Confidential, Vampire Hunter D, Quills, Secretary, Bound, Down and Out with the Dolls, Ghost World, Underworld, Chronicles of Riddick, Dark City, Donny Darko, Tron, Mars Attacks, Orgazmo, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Count of Monte Cristo, Thunderheart, Dogma, Mystery Men, and the list goes on and on and on.