Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
MiaOne
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Post by MiaOne »

Has anyone seen it yet? I have and I really, really enjoyed it. I love Buton's visual imagery and cast of characters and look. But, I have a hard time comparing it to Willy Wonka, just because it was so different...

Great movie though, definitely recommendation.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Yes, I have a difficult time with comparison too. It's funny, because I saw it when I was in the middle of Harry Potter, so I think I was more emotional for this movie than I would normally be. It was delightfully hilarious (especially the flaming puppets), and I especially liked Charlie and his family... his parents made me feel fuzzy.

Wonka... he definitely had a darker side though. And it was more focused on him. I don't know... what do you think of that? I think it was definitely intriguing, and that his manner was, though more erratic, more revealing about him. In the original (movie, not book), I just thought Wonka was an eccentric genius. This current one ... definitely gives Wonka some issues. >_<

And yes, the cinematography was... a sight to be ogled.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Sonic# wrote:Yes, I have a difficult time with comparison too. It's funny, because I saw it when I was in the middle of Harry Potter, so I think I was more emotional for this movie than I would normally be. It was delightfully hilarious (especially the flaming puppets), and I especially liked Charlie and his family... his parents made me feel fuzzy.

Wonka... he definitely had a darker side though. And it was more focused on him. I don't know... what do you think of that? I think it was definitely intriguing, and that his manner was, though more erratic, more revealing about him. In the original (movie, not book), I just thought Wonka was an eccentric genius. This current one ... definitely gives Wonka some issues. >_<

And yes, the cinematography was... a sight to be ogled.

Yeah, I liked Charlie and his family 10x better than the original. I always wanted Veruca to win in the original and I found myself actually cheering for Charlie this time around :P

I didn't see Buton's interpretation of Willy really being darker...just...more troubled. Instead of just being eccentric Wonka was that way for a reason. I don't know if I liked one interpretation better than the other...but it definitely made Willy more..relatable. I think I even shed a few tears in this version.

I heard that Gene Wilder was not pleased with Burton's interpretation of Willy Wonka though...I guess he thought they dumbed the character down and just made him silly? I heard that from a friend, have you heard anything about it?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Is the Oompa Loopma song in this version? I loved that song.
-G1

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

There are tons of songs in this one G1, they're all different styles... I prefer the rock one, myself!

I agree about Wonka, it was great to see his past and how things work out. He was just kinda ornery in the first (don't get me wrong, Wilder was brilliant). They really stuck more to the book in this one too, which is awesome. They didn't throw in random scenes (like in the first movie- where Charlie and his grandpa eat that candy that makes them float up- totally made up).

Charlie was so cute too!

Best part: Wonka being handed the rich dad's card, and abruptly throwing it behind himself... hehehe...
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh! Do they finally do a punk rock version of Oompa Loompa? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

From what I heard, Gene Wilder was mainly saying that this version is obviously out to make money and why would anybody remake such a classic movie. I can understand both of those sentiments, but I can also disagree ;)
-Rich-

Moonshadow
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Moonshadow »

I'm confused on where this movie is...Is this a remake or a sequel? I thought this was when Charlie owned the factory....not a remake...could someone finaly put my doubts to rest with a definate answer? o.o I want to see it either way seeing as I loved the original and love Johnny Depp's work.
Those who live by the sword are usually shot by those who don't.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Moonshadow wrote:I'm confused on where this movie is...Is this a remake or a sequel? I thought this was when Charlie owned the factory....not a remake...could someone finaly put my doubts to rest with a definate answer? o.o I want to see it either way seeing as I loved the original and love Johnny Depp's work.

No. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the name of the book. There is no book called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (as far as I can remember) also I think there is a sequel though...I remember seeing artwork for a book that looked like a sequel...maybe Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator or something like that?

And Burton's film is not a sequel nor a remake...it's a different interpretation of the book and it follows the book a lot closer.

As for Wilder...why remake a great class movie? This definitely wasn't a remake...you can plainly see this. I believe I heard that the producer or screenwriter (one of the two) never even saw Willy Wonka.

Kiz, it's not the Oompa Loompa Song from Willy WOnka, it's completely changed, but still crazy acid-trip like...although I didn't much like the Oompa Loompas in this version. I liked the old ones better, that I can say.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Yeah, there was a sequel to the book called Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. The original creators tried to do a movie version, but Roald Dahl was so upset with the treatment of the first movie that he refused and never allowed it to get off the ground. I can understand why considering most of Wonka's lines were rewritten to be famous lines from Shakespeare, Ogden Nash, etc. Plus, most of the song lyrics were rewritten as well. For such a good movie, they really strayed from their source material. Which isn't unheard of though; the Shining replaced the croquette mallet with an axe and all the famous lines like "Here's Johnny!" were new.

And yes, the screenwriter of this new version did not see the original movie. He was told not to by Tim Burton.

And here's some random trivia. Tim Burton likes to avoid CG, so the squirrels in this movie are all real trained squirrels. Something to think about when you see it as that scene is so ridiculous, hehe.
-Rich-

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Hehe, I just saw it and the movie was incredible! This plus Batman Begins and even Wedding Crashers has made this a really good summer for movies, especially if you ignore the piece of -Dragon Diamond- that was War of the Worlds.

Anywho, this was spectacular... Lots of silliness, but still that darker element, and the songs... Oh the songs were so friggin' amazing. Having all of them in different genres was a good touch--and using the original lyrics at that.

The Pawtucket Patriot episode of Family Guy is on right now, coincidentally. You know, the one that's a parody of the original Willy Wonka, with the Chumbawumbas and all. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

*sigh* I really wanna see this movie you all seemed to have liked it a lot. ^-^ Hopfully I'll be able to see it sometime before it leaves theaters.

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

I saw Gene Wilder do an NPR interview at my school's auditorium (this was before the Burton version came out), and someone asked him how the remake would compare to the original, and he said, "I think it's going to be scary." And then the audience laughed, and Wilder turned to the interviewer and asked, "Why are they laughing?"

I think he was pretty much right. There were some disturbing moments in the Burton version. Of course, I found them amusing, myself.

Wilder's Wonka > Depp's Wonka, as much as I love Depp.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Undine wrote:Wilder's Wonka > Depp's Wonka, as much as I love Depp.

I think I would have to agree...just because Wider played it more convincingly. I mean they're totally different representations of what Wonka should be like. But, Wilder was more mature and comical...Depp was more insane and comical.

I liked the way the kids were portrayed 10x better in the Burton one though, did I already say this? Well, I'm saying it again!

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I loved the way Depp portrayed Wonka in the movie! As far as I'm concerned, he made the best version of Wonka. Now everyone truly knows why Wonka acts the way he does. Or maybe you people knew before, I didn't remember reading or seeing anything about his past, so I'm glad they delved into it in this new movie.

Great movie, I'm going to watch it again in a couple of days probably.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Right. Don't forget Depp's Wonka is truer to the book. Not only in character, but even down to the dialogue. Roahl Dahl hated the original movie and its Wonka, which in part was due to the huge rewrites the script got from David Seltzer. He decided Wonka should for no reason at all steal many things he says from classic literature:

"Is it my soul that calls me by my name?" - Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by" - John Masefield, Sea Fever
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" - John Keats, Endymion: A Poetic Romance
"Round the world and home again, that's the sailor's way!" - William Allingale, Homeward Bound
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" - Ogden Nash, Reflections on Ice Breaking
"The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last" - Oscar Wilde, the Importance of Being Earnest
several small quotes from Arthur O'Shaughnessy's "Ode"
The lines to the song "Sweet lovers love the spring time... " are from Shakespeare's play As You Like It
-Rich-

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

drumlord wrote:Right. Don't forget Depp's Wonka is truer to the book. Not only in character, but even down to the dialogue. Roahl Dahl hated the original movie and its Wonka, which in part was due to the huge rewrites the script got from David Seltzer. He decided Wonka should for no reason at all steal many things he says from classic literature:

"Is it my soul that calls me by my name?" - Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by" - John Masefield, Sea Fever
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" - John Keats, Endymion: A Poetic Romance
"Round the world and home again, that's the sailor's way!" - William Allingale, Homeward Bound
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" - Ogden Nash, Reflections on Ice Breaking
"The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last" - Oscar Wilde, the Importance of Being Earnest
several small quotes from Arthur O'Shaughnessy's "Ode"
The lines to the song "Sweet lovers love the spring time... " are from Shakespeare's play As You Like It

Very true...It's been ages since I've read the book, but Depp's Wonka is definitely more like the Wonka in the book, the one in the book was almost like a child himself in a lot of way. And Wilder portrayed none of that innocence or immaturity.

I love the lines in Willy Wonka, but stealing lines from famous literature isn't the most creative way of rewriting lines. :|

The only thing I missed from Willy Wonka to Charlie were the "schnazberries!"

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

MiaOne wrote:I love the lines in Willy Wonka, but stealing lines from famous literature isn't the most creative way of rewriting lines. :|

Disagreed... Referencing famous literature, particularly if it's put into another context, is always a real interesting way to write dialogue. You'd be surprised how effective it is to use a line from Hamlet as a pickup line {^^}. Granted, it wasn't characteristic of Dahl's Wonka, but using lines from famous English literature is hardly 'stealing'. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking. There are two ways to look at it. One would be that Wonka is a well read gentlemen who enjoys the classics and quotes them out of context regularly. The second would be that David Seltzer was enjoying a writer circlejerk and thought he was hot -Dragon Diamond- for rewriting the dialogue to quote famous lines from literature. Considering the first isn't true, what are we left with? What a piece of work is man!
-Rich-

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Yes, Kiz. But it still isn't very creative. :P