Cowboy Bebop

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Cowboy Bebop

Post by localflick »

This is probably the most westernized anime on earth! But it has a really unique soundtrack, great voice over work, decent manga, and a killer movie to go with it. So why not a thread here as well?

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Good point. I enjoyed this one as much as Samurai Champloo....
...sad, sad ending though... :(
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I didn't really like the movie actually... but the anime itself was really good. The last episode was really awesome :D And yes, the music was good. "Call Me, Call Me" and "Blue" were probably my favorite vocal songs. I still have those music files on my desktop :shock:

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

The ending was pretty unexpected. My friend Terry thought it would go out like this:[spoiler]When Spike came down the stairs all of V's men would bow down to him for killing their leader and he would take V's place.[/spoiler]
I thought that would've been a better way to play it out. Greensky, I'm curious about why you liked the series more than the movie. I always thought they were pretty similar.

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

This anime is ok but I think it's vastly over rated. It's no where near as good as everyone keeps saying it is.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

There used to be a Cowboy Bebop thread, but I think it was deleted along with the old message board.

Scorpioeyez wrote:This anime is ok but I think it's vastly over rated. It's no where near as good as everyone keeps saying it is.

I usually find atleast one of two things hold true for those who say this:

1)They simply don't get what Cowbooy Bebop is about, like they don't pay enough attention to to all the small things that were never said, which play a huge roll in the story. Or maybe they do get it...and they don't like how this isn't some "save the world" anime, but really about personal conflict, mostly to do with Spike.

2)They get it, but before watching it always heard everyone say how incredibly awesome it is. Excitement for the shows build and build, but when it isn't met with the same expectation a person has it can get pretty disappointing.

That's usually the case...but, tell me, why didn't you like it?

localflick wrote:The ending was pretty unexpected. My friend Terry thought it would go out like this: (INSERT SPOILER HERE) I thought that would've been a better way to play it out.

I don't agree, and here's why:

[spoiler] Like I said above, I think the focal point of the story was Spike's personal conflict with his past. He best expressed this by saying how he only saw "patches of reality, never the whole picture" like he was in a dream he couldn't wake up from, or whatever. And I think one of the things about Spike was he wanted to be "free", a part of him wanted to be dead, but he couldn't die until he came to terms with his past. Once he killed vicious he felt he finally accomplished this, felt he could be free. And so, he died.

Some say he may not have died, that it can't be proven. But it can. I don't know if you know this, but after all credits of the last episode go by there's a red star that fades away (Spike's star) then it shows a picture of his face with his eyes closed in black and white, and says "You're Gonna Carry That Weight"

Well, that and a slash to the stomach by a katana is a mortal wound...and extremely painful, I'm told.[/spoiler]

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Yeah it had to go down that way, but no one wanted to see it happen. It wasn't too unexpected though, especially with the forshadowing throughout the whole series [spoiler] like how Spike's got two different colored eyes with one always looking to the past. And how Vicious and Spike were always evenly matched right to the end. Vicious also said a line in the last episode which was something like: after a snake strikes, the venom kills it's victim over time. Almost like a metaphor for the wound Spike got. [/spoiler] ...or maybe I'm just reading too far into it.
I just got an awesome wall hanging of Spike sitting at a table with an ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts. It's great.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

For me, I just found the movie to be quite boring in comparison to the anime series. There were no real surprises in it either...

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

The problem with the movie is that many probably wanted it to be more movie-ish. Instead, it was really just a very long episode. I enjoyed the movie and I liked things about it, but you can certainly enjoy the show on its own without seeing it. If you do choose to watch it, watch it at its correct location because watching after the show is over doesn't make sense. I think it comes between episodes 21 and 22 or something like that...

I think scorpioeyz has come out for every popular anime mentioned on these boards thus far and said how bad and overrated they are, so I wouldn't pay too much mind there ;P
-Rich-

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

YoungDyne wrote:2)They get it, but before watching it always heard everyone say how incredibly awesome it is. Excitement for the shows build and build, but when it isn't met with the same expectation a person has it can get pretty disappointing.[/spoiler]

It's not that I thought that the series was bad and I didn't give it a chance to grow on me. I have watched three volumes of it (I think it was three at least, it's been awhile) and while I can totally see why some people would think that it's a fabulous series, it just didn't really grab me. The characters were ok, I liked Spike and Faye. The story and animation were alright as well. It's not that there was anything wrong with the series, it just didn't grab me as much as it has others. I can see why some people love it, I just personally think that it's not that great and is over rated.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

i enjoyed both the series and the move the move did seem to drag a little in the middle i kinda got bored but it picked back up in the end and i hope they make a few more movies since there isnt going to be a 2nd season

i think the series was a little better than the movie because it had a good flow and the music was realy good i bought the soundtrack off ebay 20$ worth evry penny definitatly a boot leg tho looks nice